Author Topic: GTSD Bastion Superdestroyer Development Thread  (Read 5300 times)

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
GTSD Bastion Superdestroyer Development Thread
Hello HLP Community, this thread will serve as the development of the GTSD Bastion, a GTVA Terran superdestroyer that features in the current development vein of Inferno.
http://p3d.in/v1nmH/wire

As of 09/15/12 it is 45% done.  I also apologize for smartphone holders and those who cannot p3d, but I cannot upload images at this moment.  Also this mesh does not have smoothing yet, so it's best viewed in wireframe.  Please critique it and give us your ideas on how to make this model.

R

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: GTSD Bastion Superdestroyer Development Thread
I find "wire on shadeless" a better option than a wireframe.

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
Is this a replacement for the Icanus?

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Is this a replacement for the Icanus?

No.  This will be the replacement for the Warlock's current replacement.

R

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
looks like a Vasudanised Orion.  Be interesting to see where you take this one
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
 :eek: sect. C!
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
If you'd like to see what the original model looked like, its in the Wiki HERE.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
It was like, totally my favoritest design back in the day, because in the Freespace as I know it, Vasudan-Terran integration wasn't pulled off that well and this design did that pretty well. Never thought I'd live long enough to see it in a campaign ;)
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
No.  This will be the replacement for the Warlock's current replacement.

Not really since it isn't a carrier. It's the Terrans counter to the Nemesis would be more fitting.

The backside were the main engine is is showing completely flat there. Is that part not fixed up yet or has the model format chopped it off for some reason?

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Not really since it isn't a carrier. It's the Terrans counter to the Nemesis would be more fitting.
So it's the replacement for the Odin?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
P3D works fine for me ;)

Xperia S ICS.

Model looks very very similar to the original...
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
The old model in technical terms was a disjointed non-manifold mesh that had too many geometry errors to count - - enough to crash my older version of Blender; so far the only thing I did was cleaning it up of all those errors and made the mesh manifold and added edges to guide me in detailing it.  The engines will probably be worked on last, and the side fighterbay will be booleaned to the main mesh after the two parts of the model are UVmapped for future generations (the mesh will still be tilemapped for the upcoming release).

R

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Rampage, just gotta say two quick things about how FSO works

1) Non-manifold is absolutely fine - every model I make is either non, or open manifold. This doesn't matter, you know why? Because in FSO, when you have smooth groups, it separates the edges anyway and becomes open manifold, thus its pointless to ensure that the mesh is closed-manifold.

2) Don't boolean things together if you do not absolutely need to, it just adds wasted polies, and introduces more opportunities for lighting and smoothing errors. I know this might be a personal preference thing, but just do know that the model can be composed of multiple fused and non-booleaned objects. (In fact, when you get to higher polycounts ie. UED Solaris, this is in fact necessary, to split the model into subobjects to avoid the per-subobject polygon limit)

Just trying to make sure you're not working with any incorrect assumptions with regards to what is required to make a properly-functioning mesh for FSO.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:29:25 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Thank you for your suggestions.  I am fully aware that FSO can support non-manifold meshes, and non-manifold is fine, but geometry errors are not.  And being a common cause of non-manifoldness in meshes, IMO all geometry errors must be eliminated during development so the mesh is easier to work with.  FSO can tolerate many of these errors but in my OCDness I cannot, so it's purely my personal preference.  As for booleans, I know some people avoid them like the plague, and I for one never overuse them.  And with your suggestion, I just might keep the hangar separate from the main mesh. :)  However, booleans are powerful if (1) you know how to use them and (2) you're willing to clean up your mesh afterward.

Anyway let's get back on topic.  If you further wish to share your opinions on modeling, please do so on the internal or send me a PM.

R

Offline mr.WHO

Is it replacement for Odin or Solaris or one-a-kind Flagship (I thought Solaris play that role)?

BTW It looks like mix of old Orion R1 Warlock + advance post-Capella tech.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
*snip

Booleans are by no means bad things, but like any tool, they have to be properly used. Any mess you make must be cleaned up, and any bad geometry has to be dealt with (kind of a redundant statement, but whatever). Subdivisions are also a tool, but using them properly is even more of a challenge. The model must be cleaned up afterwards, and the polycound has to be cut down to size after a commit. Retaining the target dimensions also becomes a problem, as most programs tend to shrink geometry at the peaks and fill in the gaps. Some software may require you to break pieces apart and then re-join them, or may let you define sharp edges and chines, but are a real PITA to use. Both of these things are great tool, but by no means do they make labor easier when you know what you're up to.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke