Author Topic: Rationale of the Earth Alliance  (Read 8100 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Rationale of the Earth Alliance
Well the Nemesis can take a Sathanas on its own as long as its not directly in front of it.
So can the Hippocrates. :) Really, Sathanas is rather poor as a warship. It's only strength lies in it's ability to shock-jump enemies, anything not directly in front or directly behind it is relatively safe. At Sol, it'd have to approach a chokepoint that Sol Gate is, which would open it to attack from the sides. A couple of Lindos destroyers could probably keep up with them if they approached Sol gate like they arrived from the 3rd Knossos portal. Sol Gate, having only one arrival vector, would make a neat ambush point.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
(if it's accurate in both old and new Inferno Vasudans tried to stay away from conflict and EA tried not to provoke Zods)
In R1, Zods stayed away from the conflict because, if I recall, the Terran side of the GTVA asked them to. It was a Terran matter, after all.
They only started getting actively involved in the GTVA/EA war after the Diablo appeared, and (correctly) interpreted that there would be more Shivans behind it, and that any Terran ship shooting at another Terran ship would be better used if it was shooting at a Shivan ship.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Well the Nemesis can take a Sathanas on its own as long as its not directly in front of it.
So can the Hippocrates. :) Really, Sathanas is rather poor as a warship. It's only strength lies in it's ability to shock-jump enemies, anything not directly in front or directly behind it is relatively safe. At Sol, it'd have to approach a chokepoint that Sol Gate is, which would open it to attack from the sides. A couple of Lindos destroyers could probably keep up with them if they approached Sol gate like they arrived from the 3rd Knossos portal. Sol Gate, having only one arrival vector, would make a neat ambush point.

The only reason the Sathanas is poor as a warship is because it has noticeable side armaments whatsoever.

On other subjects, I rather like how the EA's motivations can be interpreted. I've always imagined from the transmissions the GTVA would've sent after Capella, Earth would be viewing the GTVA as either too unstable to defend the Human and Vasudan species effectively, and would view their capability in this capacity as suspect. Not just due to Shivans, but because of the NTF Rebellion and ****.

It gives them something better than "lol we're evil", and adds a story element that can be built upon. Rather than just "hey hey we're going back to earth, man!"
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:44:37 am by BritishShivans »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Not to nitpick, but if stuff was getting sent back and forth from Alpha Centauri, it'd presumably be going AT the speed of light, not below it somehow. :p

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
It gives them something better than "lol we're evil", and adds a story element that can be built upon. Rather than just "hey hey we're going back to earth, man!"
I never got a "lol we're evil" vibe from the EA.
I did get a "the universe is cold and hostile, but we are more and if we aren't we'll die" vibe from them. Two very different things.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline CT27

I will admit maybe the GTVA shouldn't have sent in heavy warships to be a 'first contact' with the EA, but once the EA saw they were Terran ships shouldn't they have at least asked "What's going on?" rather than make war with the GTVA the first choice?

Yeah, like this ended well for UEF in Blue Planet:
- GTVA ships jump into Sol
- UEF: Hi guys what's up?
- <lazooorrsss>

EA actualy did a very smart by "shoot first, ask questions when you have at least 3-4 system buffer zone between GTVA and Sol".
EA is actually UEF with balls, HUGE BALLS and lazors and railguns and dozens of destroyers and 20 km large super Juggernaut.

To be fair, that wasn't the GTVA's intentions in Inferno, at least as far as we know.  They were worried Shivans were in Sol so they sent in warships, at least that's how I understood it.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Not to nitpick, but if stuff was getting sent back and forth from Alpha Centauri, it'd presumably be going AT the speed of light, not below it somehow. :p

Oops. :P Thanks for pointing that out.

Offline CT27

We plan to explore the reason behind the EA's aggressiveness towards the GTVA.

R

Thank you.  I would like to know a little more about the EA's motives and goals.

For instance, is its goal to completely take over the GTVA or just get a couple systems as a buffer?

Offline CT27

When the GTVA first sent ships back into Sol, might it have helped things if it sent in surviving FS1 era ships so that the ships wouldn't be unrecognizable by the EA?

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
When the GTVA first sent ships back into Sol, might it have helped things if it sent in surviving FS1 era ships so that the ships wouldn't be unrecognizable by the EA?

At the same time it wouldn't be economical as by the point the Sol Gate would re-open, Fs1 era ships would be a thing of the past. Retired, sent to the junk yard. All those nice little terms we have come to know and love. They GTVA don't even know if there is a provisional government even established in Sol, or anything for that matter. For all we know, there could of been anarchy in the Sol System that needs to be eliminated. However, should the GTVA have known the EA was around, maybe it would of been wise to send in a Fenris or something to ease tension, but it may not have worked.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline CT27

Was it ever said how the EA treated the Vasudan pilots/personnel who were trapped in Sol?