Author Topic: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging  (Read 101279 times)

Offline CT27

Re: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging
In regards to TBG, Herkie's latest update has made it more playable and definitely better than it was before.  I still like AFR better overall and as defacto 2nd in command of TBG I would have done some things differently than Herkie did, but I wouldn't avoid TBG if you're going to play AFR as it finishes the story.
(spart_n, I may have said I think TBG should be on the list before, but I haven't been pushing it more than once if that's what you were wondering about).

I would also echo spart_n's "warning" about AFR.  It's very fun I think but it is a rather long campaign (over 50 missions as he says).  You will definitely need more than one segment and putting smaller campaigns in in between AFR segments wouldn't be a bad idea.

Also, you will probably have to play it and TBG on MVP 2014 version as that's the version Herkie developed it on (it might work on later versions but I can't promise that).  Also, the build that worked for me was the October 31, 2017 nightly (that ran into the least issues).  So if you can't get it working on some other setup, I'd give that a try.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Spart_n's idea isn't bad. This goes especially for the early parts of the first campaign that can get quite tedious. However, I'd say that when we enter the more speedy parts of the campaign, we could adjust on the go. Maybe Joe will find it very fun and wanting more of it ASAP. I personally wouldn't be bothered with that.

Back in the day I used to play Aftermath Reboot v1.0.0 on MVPS 4.1 and the most recent builds available at that point in time regardless of herkie's suggestions for FSO 3.7.4 and it worked really fine. So I believe you can easily force it to latest MVPS and corresponding FSO and experience no negative consequences. Of course, it would be great if someone tested that out before the streams, just in case.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline CT27

For what it's worth, Herkie told me on FB that there would be an update coming out for his campaigns in the next few days.  So Joe might want to wait a little longer for that to come out.

Mito, I've also given Herkie on FB a link to this thread and told him there might be a playthrough of his campaigns in the relatively near future.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Yeah but with this latest update, I am still working with the outdated 3.7.4.

The updates covered corrections and adjustments. Very small update coverage.

Take also note that I have submitted both campaigns to restoration.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
... And CT27, you are not my defacto second in my command. But you ARE my second in command. TBG is our work. You made the story. I just made it run as a game.

Though I can really brag that the development of TBG comprised only 2 people, CT and me. The Aftermath Reboot, I made it single-handedly (except for the model creators)

Offline redmagejoe

• Rage Mage of Ill Fated Gaming
    • Steam
I'm seeing a lot of enthusiasm surrounding these campaigns in this discussion, and I can't wait to take a crack at them! I'll decide on the fly if breaks between AFR sessions are needed. For now, I'm remaining optimistic.

I'm finally on stable 22.0 and I am going to R E F U S E to play any campaigns that release on a nightly. I hope you understand why I feel the way I do. I've already deleted every 21.5 build I have. It's just not great for my mood when I run into a bug and have to deduce if it's mod related or FSO related.

Also, has anyone gotten in contact with the creator of Mantle to see if we can get a nice loading screen and thumbnail? Can anyone help me out with the thumbnails for Frontlines or Fall of Epsilon Pegasi? Pretty please~?
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Available for Voice Acting work!
Email me: [email protected]
Steam me: redmagejoe

You were complaining about a lot of bombs?   :D 

"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam

Next week, Aftermath Reboot! Thank you to Henrik for providing me with loading screen and thumbnail for this! Still hoping some kind souls can get me Frontlines, Mantle, and Epsilon Pegasi images~
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam

"ca1 3610742 Sin Senos Si Hay Paraiso 2 capitulo 66 cat 4000"

This is the bull**** that's currently getting me copyright blocked on Mantle. I looked into it, and it's some stupid TV show, not a song or anything like that. Some automated bull**** is literally claiming that I'm showing a part of a TV show, not even the music that plays behind it, and you can bet your ass that I'll dispute that even if I have to chase down someone at YouTube in person over their idiotic copyright claims system.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
****ing ****ers.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline CT27

I know you like to try and go in blind with these campaigns to see if you really enjoy them or not.  However, I have a piece of advice for Reboot (and its sequel TBG).  This piece of advice won't spoil the plot, but should help with later parts of Reboot and TBG in general:

When the campaign gives you access to "Widowmaker" missiles, make sure you have at least one bank of them if the mission allows it as they're very helpful and good.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Viewing restrictions have been lifted. All the other disputes are on monetization, so I don't really care about those, but that one that was causing viewing to be prohibited is suspended pending a response from the claimant. I think we're in the clear on Mantle.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline CT27

FYI for your upcoming The Aftermath: Reboot playthrough:

Herkie has just released updates for the campaigns (Reboot and TBG).  However, he doesn't know how to do Knossos.  You'll have to go to the release threads for each campaign in the Aftermath forum, download the updated files, and then put them where Knossos uses the campaign files if you play using Knossos. (Also, in Reboot's release thread, what is called the 'alternate' campaign is now the canon that TBG follows.  This slightly more upbeat ending was developed after the release of Reboot and then put in.  I've asked Herkie if he should just make this the one ending and forget calling things alternate but he has declined that).

I know you said you like to work with official builds, but I'll just say this one more time:  If you run into technical problems using current MVPs or builds, I ran into no gamebreaking errors using the 2014 MVPs and the October 31, 2017 nightly with these campaigns.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 06:00:51 pm by CT27 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Herkie has just released updates for the campaigns (Reboot and TBG).  However, he doesn't know how to do Knossos.  You'll have to go to the release threads for each campaign in the Aftermath forum, download the updated files, and then put them where Knossos uses the campaign files if you play using Knossos. (Also, in Reboot's release thread, what is called the 'alternate' campaign is now the canon that TBG follows.  This slightly more upbeat ending was developed after the release of Reboot and then put in.  I've asked Herkie if he should just make this the one ending and forget calling things alternate but he has declined that).

I know you said you like to work with official builds, but I'll just say this one more time:  If you run into technical problems using current MVPs or builds, I ran into no gamebreaking errors using the 2014 MVPs and the October 31, 2017 nightly with these campaigns.

I have upload access to those mods on Knossos and will gladly hand over the reigns to someone else to keep them updated.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline CT27

I have upload access to those mods on Knossos and will gladly hand over the reigns to someone else to keep them updated.

I'm not super familiar with Knossos so I don't think I can help you there.  Red's best bet would be to download the new files Herkie made manually and put them in his folders for the games.

Anyways redmagejoe:  I tested out the new update and while I know you like to go in without a lot of expectations, there are a couple missions I want to bring to your attention so you don't get frustrated if you'd like to know:

Act 3- "Galileo..."   (the full name is a plot spoiler for that mission so I didn't put it in just in case you don't want to look at this and go in totally blind)
Spoiler:
Sometimes the Nightingale transport you're supposed to dock with at the end gets destroyed.  Herkie said he can't fix it for some reason, he says it happens randomly.  The best chance he says is to fly straight for the Titan's fighterbay.  The Nightingale comes in about 1km from that point.  Go to it asap when the Nightingale comes in (heading straight for the Titan's bay will put you relatively close to the Nightingale's arrival point).  If you have the previous "missions" file saved somehow...it does seem the Nightingale gets destroyed less randomly on a previous version.

Act 8- "Sicilian Defense"
Spoiler:
Herkie has had some trouble with the Archangel model's primary gun.  It only seems to fire a few times...it's side beams seem to work okay though.  This mission is still very beatable it just means you'll have to be the one to do the most damage to the juggernauts.  Jump on them as soon as you can before they take out the Excelsior or Archangel.  Since the capship you're flying in this mission has very long range, I'd devote most energy to guns for more sustained fire...you don't need to move around as much.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
My viewers after Telemundo claims my FreeSpace Let's Play stream as infringing on their Spanish soap opera:

Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

I'm not super familiar with Knossos so I don't think I can help you there.  Red's best bet would be to download the new files Herkie made manually and put them in his folders for the games.

Ugh. Fine. I'll do it one more time. But someone affiliated or interested in Aftermath needs figure this out. Knossos is not hard and HLP does not recommend general players to replace files in the Knossos library anymore. In fact that's the whole reason Knossos exists in the first place; so players don't have to muck with files.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Yeah... going to have to go with Mjn on this. Either the new version needs to be on Knossos or I'm playing the old version.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline CT27

Ugh. Fine. I'll do it one more time. But someone affiliated or interested in Aftermath needs figure this out. Knossos is not hard and HLP does not recommend general players to replace files in the Knossos library anymore. In fact that's the whole reason Knossos exists in the first place; so players don't have to muck with files.

Thank you for your work on this. 

For "The Aftermath: Reboot", did you also put up the file that Herkie listed in the OP under "Alternate Campaign Ending"?

I've tried to talk to Herkie in the past about just making this new ending the one ending for the campaign...instead of having a version where people have to switch files to get the canon ending but he has declined that.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Thank you for your work on this. 

For "The Aftermath: Reboot", did you also put up the file that Herkie listed in the OP under "Alternate Campaign Ending"?

I've tried to talk to Herkie in the past about just making this new ending the one ending for the campaign...instead of having a version where people have to switch files to get the canon ending but he has declined that.

In the Knossos version I just rename the alternate campaign files and include both options in the same mod. Players can choose without having to do any copy/paste.