Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 374605 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Re: Cutscene Upgrade [Updated: Ancients 5] (56kers be warned!)
It looks like it could be done as some sort of particle effect... notice that the gas farther from the surface (in the original cutscene) is more diffuse (blurred)... small rising particles which expand and fade from white to yellow to red and disappear...

was the original animated or just a static image?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The original is a screenshot from the original cutscene.

I really appreciate all the help, it keeps giving me ideas of how to move this one forward. You guys are picky about your fire-stars. I do NOT look forward to that Bosch monologue with that rotating fire-anomaly-thing.

Oh, and I totally agree on those glowing particles after being away from the project for a few hours.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I like it  :yes:
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think we have a winner! That, or I am getting pretty close.

Images Deleted
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 12:36:06 pm by mjn.mixael »

Yeeees, that's definitely heading the right direction :nod::yes:

Try making it a bit more reddish, to get colours closer to the original?

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Looking good. :yes: Maybe reduce surface brightness a bit, to leave the hottest bits to corona.

Offline m!m

I think it's perfect.
I didn't like the old sun because it was just a yellow blob but your version realy seems like a powerfull sun :yes:

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I think you've nailed it with the last one.
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Man... that was an experience... With a final total of 4 particle layers at the resolution of 5333x3000 and 5 animated fractals also at 5333x3000, this beast will take at least two days to render.

Now imagine making tweaks and trying to see them as you go... It became a process of tweak, wait........................., tweak, wait............... (etc.)

I'm liking the animation and look of all the main objects in each Ancients. I'm going to spend some time on the Nebulas.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
There is no way I would have had the patience for that.  Awesome job.   :yes:
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Will you be releasing the source files for these cutscenes, in addition to the final rendered versions you make?

Offline Nighteyes

I sent you the models I converted to max, only thing I think is left for this sun to do is make it a bit more orange/red like the original
about all those layers and tweaking, I really hope you render in passes, this way tweaking is quite a bit more simple and fast in post production :)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmmm, I don't really see a reason to release the source files... I'll consider it, but there is a lot of work going into these and I'm not sure I would want everyone to have the ability to just change it.

In the case for the sun, I can't really render in passes because the layers are dependent on each other for animation. But now that I have the look I want, animation will be easy since it is about motion and not position. I can animate at quarter resolution or less to make my job easier.

I'm going to work a little on the colors for the sun, but I don't think it will change too drastically. I like that the new one looks like it has life. It looks hot and full of energy, where as the old one looks like a marble with effects. (IMO)

Also, screens of EndGame coming probably, tomorrow or Tuesday.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:50:56 pm by mjn.mixael »

coronas aren't fire. in some of the previous renderings it looks like fire flickering from the sun producing ember. they're actually plasma which follow the curve of the sun's magnetic field. visually, it should be continuous, extending out from the sun in arcs or loops with the appearance of water or thick mist, not necessarily burry and out of focus.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
I'm going to work a little on the colors for the sun, but I don't think it will change too drastically. I like that the new one looks like it has life. It looks hot and full of energy, where as the old one looks like a marble with effects. (IMO)
Yea, the original over does the effect, and your version is very good. Still, a slightest of color/intensity adjustment might make it look even better, imho.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
coronas aren't fire. in some of the previous renderings it looks like fire flickering from the sun producing ember. they're actually plasma which follow the curve of the sun's magnetic field. visually, it should be continuous, extending out from the sun in arcs or loops with the appearance of water or thick mist, not necessarily burry and out of focus.

Also if you rendered the video in real time, all detail in the corona would appear suspended in time simply because the scale of these phenomena is so huge it takes several hours, if not days, for large mass ejections and arcs to progress enough that human eye would notice a difference.

However in this case I think the intention and purpose is to imitate the look, feel and impression of the original, just in higher quality. Quite a bit like FS Upgrade as a whole.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
However in this case I think the intention and purpose is to imitate the look, feel and impression of the original, just in higher quality. Quite a bit like FS Upgrade as a whole.

That is what I'm going for, though upgrades are allowed. This shot is interesting though. I mean, if I were to go with the fullest of realism, I would have to do things like set the exposure so high that you wouldn't be able to see the stars or nebula in the background. And that doesn't make for a very interesting cutscene.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
WHAT THE

This is some amazing **** right thar. I say stick with the current sun, too. :)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I would tone down the lens flare and put a little more red in it...

Any finished products yet, for the first batch of cutscenes?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ancients 1-3 are basically finished. I'm fixing up the asteroids for Ancients 4 and animating Ancients 5. I have to draw the nebulas and they will all be finished. I'm also starting to animate EndGame.

I'm going to get FMVs up on my studio site as soon as I get it uploaded. (We went through a name change and whatnot).