Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 378589 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Cutscene Upgrade [RELEASE: Ancients 1-5] (56kers be warned!)
I was talking about theora, I just figured that was understood.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
These things are probably going to lag the hell out of my system, but awesome work anyway. :D

Edit: Okay, maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but I'm getting nothing but a solid-colored screen when I try to play these in-game (although the audio plays correctly); this is using the Inferno version of 3.6.12 RC2.  They also display only garbled video in an external player that plays the retail .ogg conversions just fine.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:11:41 pm by Mongoose »

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Works for me with VLC...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Huh. These latest ones play OK for me (well, apart from my system lacking the power to decode them in FSO; VLC or other real media players have less trouble).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It could be that my system just isn't powerful enough to play them in FSO, but I'd expect them to play all right in an external player.  As I said, I'm able to play the converted retail cutscenes in a slightly-older version of The KMPlayer just fine, but these give me nothing but garbled output, and they flat-out crash Media Player Classic (via the Combined Community Codec Pack).  I'm able to (somewhat sluggishly) play other HD video files, so I'm not really sure what's going on.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Try updating your video drivers / and media players?  And maybe get the latest ffdshow codecs?  ( www.free-codecs.com )

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I shouldn't have to mess around with the individual ffdshow codecs, as CCCP is pretty much the definitive way to play just about anything you throw at it.  And the reason I'm not using the most recent version of KMPlayer is because I don't like some of the mechanical changes that the new owner/developer has made.  I could attempt updating my video drivers at some point, but I'm still finding it strange that all of these players would play other .ogg files just fine, yet choke on these.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Mongoose, do you have a Mac?  The OGG fix isn't on OSX builds yet.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As for the playback difficulty in FSO, I'm probably going to render out some 720p more highly compressed versions of these. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Mongoose, do you have a Mac?  The OGG fix isn't on OSX builds yet.
Heh, nope, just an XP box.

I know you don't want to digging into codecs, but I had a similar problem (audio fine, video showing only first frame) in-game and vlc, and grabbing new codecs from the official site, specifically the newer direct show filters, fixed it for me, right as rain.
http://xiph.org/dshow/
 Odds are you've been using the same filters you picked up the last time you tried to use a vorbis or flac file. I know mine was wayyy out of date, and it is an unusual format that most players aren't going to tolerate native, particularly the direct show family ( WMP, VLC)
Just try it. they're easy to remove if it doesn't work for you.
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I guess I could at least try seeing if there's a newer version of CCCP available, and then maybe go from there.  I think part of the problem may be that .ogg is an uncommon video format (I don't think I've ever seen it used besides the SCP), so some of these codec packs may not be particularly adept at handling them.

(I'll have to start a "Stop using VLC!" campaign at some point, unless it's markedly better than it was some time ago.  It was freaking terrible when I tried using it a few years back. :p)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Huh? VLC is excellent.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It could be now, but back when I was using it a few years ago, it exhibited such wonderful properties as taking a good five or six seconds to respond to a skip attempt while playing a video, topped off by another few seconds of massive video distortion.  Once I stumbled across KMPlayer, I never looked back at VLC.  I don't want to drag this thread even further off-topic, so I'll save that discussion for another venue.

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Huh? VLC is excellent.
Not really. Its only advantage is that you can throw anything at it and it'll play without you having to install or configure anything. But once you start getting above SD resolutions playback really starts to suffer. Install CCCP along with Media Player Classic and you'll see a very noticeable improvement.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
720s are up. Download those if you have lag issues.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
...okay, you guys are going to love the solution to this one.  I downloaded one of the 720p versions to test it out, and the results looked a little bit more like they were supposed to, but the playback was still mostly solid-colored.  So I thought about it for a second...and then I remembered a certain Launcher flag.  I've always had "Disable scale-to-window for movies" selected, since the retail .ogg conversions are grainy to begin with; I didn't want them to look even worse than they had to by default.  So, as it turns out, instead of the 1080p versions playing back completely "solid-colored"...

...I'd simply been seeing an extremely-zoomed in view of the center of each video.

...yeah. :lol:

So if anyone else out there forgot they had that flag selected, flip it off, and everything should work out fine.  Even when they're playing right, the 1080p versions still lag the hell out of my system, and they're much bigger than my monitor requires anyway, so 720p is definitely the way to go for me.  Thanks a ton, mjn.mixael. :)

(I still can't play even the 720p versions outside of the game, so I'll have to figure out what's going on there. At least they work where they need to, though.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:17:34 pm by Mongoose »

VLC's gotten a bit better, but it's still DirectShow and a lot of poorly optimized filters. For anything above 480, I usually MPC. I still keep vlc around for music or for greater file compatibility.  In this case, I gave it a try, because it has some rudimentary ogg implementation, and media player classic does not.  I've got that all fixed up.
Agreed, VLC isn't always going to produce the best image quality, but it is simple, and makes a good starting point and/or 'what the hell is this file' tool.
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Those are beautiful! Thanks for all your efforts that went into making these :)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
...okay, you guys are going to love the solution to this one. 

...Maybe put this as a warning in the first post by the download links to prevent future headaches, mjn?