Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 381267 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Cutscene Upgrade [RELEASE: Ancients 1-5] (56kers be warned!)
AFAIK it's not yet ready for FS2 ingame use, but you're gonna need to ask c914 for details, I guess. For Nexus I only needed the actual 3d mesh and textures, which seemed finished, so I simply asked him nicely to let me use his Cain. I'm thankful he allowed that, as now I don't have to rely on the current low-poly Cain in the mediavps.
(from that topic you linked to)

This also needs HTL Scorpion and HTL Shaitan...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

AFAIK it's not yet ready for FS2 ingame use, but you're gonna need to ask c914 for details, I guess. For Nexus I only needed the actual 3d mesh and textures, which seemed finished, so I simply asked him nicely to let me use his Cain.
(from that topic you linked to)

This also needs HTL Scorpion and HTL Shaitan...
It's not ready for FS in-game use, but surely the mesh and the textures will suffice for rendering?
HTL Scorpion and Shaitan don't exist yet AFAIK, or else they're nowhere as near to completion as the Cain.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, when the Cain is finished I'll update the ANI, but I don't want to get into a cycle of updating every time a partially finished model is released. If you guys want me to get back to cutscenes, I have to draw the line somewhere   ;7

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Wait what? The HTL Cain model and textures are available?! I'LL do the conversion! Just show me where it is!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Kolgena

Well, when the Cain is finished I'll update the ANI, but I don't want to get into a cycle of updating every time a partially finished model is released. If you guys want me to get back to cutscenes, I have to draw the line somewhere   ;7

Speaking of which, a better Apollo was released like, today >.>

I realize that your CBAnim preview was just released, so yeah.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Alright... well I started EndGame from scratch on Friday. The flight paths were awful and the camera work was worse. The new version is MUCH cleaner and smoother. This is an animation test I rendered out to check flight paths and camera work. I'll tweak from here. Once I feel that it is satisfactory I will go into the long process of effects and post-production.

Also.. sorry about the quality, I wasn't gonna spend hours rendering a test at 1080p...  :nervous:

Enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/12918534

EDIT: I've been getting comments here and there about the look of things like lighting and planets and whatnot. I just want to assure you all that this is NOT final. This is a test for animation. Specifically, XYZ positions and rotations. Nothing more.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 01:50:21 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The movement looks just about dead-on. :) That magically-fracturing test Lucifer is rather amusing, though. :p

The fighters and bombers look kinda sluggish IMHO... then again, that's in the original as well. Apart from that, looking good, as usual :yes:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The fighters and bombers look kinda sluggish IMHO... then again, that's in the original as well. Apart from that, looking good, as usual :yes:

Yeah, I played around with speeding them up, but very quickly I run into the issue of long times where nothing happens (unless I add stuff) OR, more problematic, not syncing with the audio track.

Unlike most video productions where you sync audio to video, I have to do this a bit backwards because I am not redoing the audio.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Unlike most video productions where you sync audio to video
O rly?  I thought it was the other way around.  It is for animated movies, at least.

EDIT: BTW, the animation test is OUTSTANDING.  Well done! :yes:  There are a few weird bits (in the last intra-subspace shot, the fighters seem to move too fast) but overall it's excellent.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:16:56 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Unlike most video productions where you sync audio to video
O rly?  I thought it was the other way around.  It is for animated movies, at least.

EDIT: BTW, the animation test is OUTSTANDING.  Well done! :yes:  There are a few weird bits (in the last intra-subspace shot, the fighters seem to move too fast) but overall it's excellent.

Well I come from a background of live action video production, so I guess that's what I mean there. But for animated movies, you are right.

Glad you approve and I have only improved it from there.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well I come from a background of live action video production, so I guess that's what I mean there. But for animated movies, you are right.
Aha.  So you're referring to foley and related disciplines.  I think animated movies are a better analogy to what you're doing with the cutscenes. :)

Glad you approve and I have only improved it from there.
:yes:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Yeah, of course. This Valk has just blown up a couple of Shivan fighters with 4 bolts of ML-16. Sounds totally logical.

What you didn't see were the 10 or so Rockeyes (standard-issue FS1 dumb-fire, or did I mess the naming up?) that were fired before that.  The shields were down on the Shivan fighters.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's Furies, and the aspolsions would have been even more visible than the lasers themselves :/
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Hey, blame Volition. He's just being accurate to the original. If it really bugs you, pretend they're GTI and firing Banshees.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Ok, so I realize that you all may be wondering what is going on around here. Has this crazy guy realized how hard this project is and given up? Did he die? Was he abducted by Vasudans?

The answer to all of that is no.

I have, as Galemp said, been working for the port on things like this.

http://www.vimeo.com/12754020

A few more days on cb anims and I'll be back to cutscene work.
Hmm... the explosions look too... circular, the lasers seem to move too slow and look a little too fat, and the Valkyrie looks almost unnatural when it's moving backwards, it moves too straight I think. Otherwise it's cool. :)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'll have to agree with Hades, the laser blobs are a bit large and the movements are a bit jumpy and abrupt. The explosions look... Interesting, but kind of weird. Like the ships were balloons filled with molten iron or something. xD

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
New animation test is up including most of the explosions. Keep in mind this is the first time I have seen them in motion as well. Many of them need an extended simulation and I want to make some of them a bit bigger. Though for a day's work the timing turned out halfway decent.

Also, Goober: I did not fix that Thoth yet.   :P

http://vimeo.com/12918534

Also, with all the explosion data, the source files for EndGame so far are 132 GB    :lol:

And that doesn't yet include interim renders to go to post production later in the process.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:42:22 am by mjn.mixael »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
You need to use the new glowmaps, too. Those are a bit TOO green.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I didn't re-render the second part (outside subspace) as that is a seperate Max file. It's already got the new maps on it just not in this version of the video.