Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 379145 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Cutscene Upgrade [RELEASE: Ancients 1-5] (56kers be warned!)
Can I call you an idiot? :P It ain't done yet.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The explosions still look kinda funny, and the bit where the Lucifer breaks apart looks odd. Might be the way chunks of debris randomly disappear in a flash.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
and the bit where the Lucifer breaks apart looks odd. Might be the way chunks of debris randomly disappear in a flash.

This is the same as the original. I'm not changing it.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Question: in the FS2 Ending, will you be adding the second Capella Star in the background. Nothing major - just have it showing until the blue shock wave
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For what purpose? I know Capella is binary in real-life but I'm pretty sure it's not in the FS universe.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
For what purpose? I know Capella is binary in real-life but I'm pretty sure it's not in the FS universe.

Agreed. It's important to maintain the original cutscene's spirit.

Very good work, even on a WIP.  :yes:
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Some of the download links will be down while I upload better optimized versions of these. Should only take a day or so.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.

FWIW for the background I made for Capella for use in the media VPs I added the second Capella star.  I placed it to be partially obscured by the primary sun so that the overall scene wouldn't look too different.  In any case the cutscenes show no nebulae at all whilst even the different retail missions have nebulae.  For this reason the LS nebulae I used I placed in a narrowish band away from the stars, again to try and keep a look similar to that of the cutscenes. 
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
How's about I finish with the FS1 scenes... THEN we'll worry about the FS2 scenes.

Offline Kolgena

Nice. Post-processing is truly t3h s3x. I kinda want lens flares in game now (I see beam turrets breaking whatever flare shader someone might come up with though...). Are you considering motion blur for the fighters at any point? It might alleviate the awkwardness of the flight paths that are going on when everything's rushing out of the portal. Slight depth of field effects on the lucifer so that not all parts of the ship are crystal clear might also be nice; something looks off about the drifting lucifer piece, but I'm not sure what it is or what might fix it.

Another small thing: The moon and the earth look really, really bright. Actually, so does everything after it comes out of subspace. I think it might be better if shadows were stronger, lighting dimmer, less saturation or something to fix that issue. I'm thinking that it might just be a result of you not being done with those scenes though.

Explosions still look tacky. Sorry! >.>. I think it's because they look far too clean. Have you thought about having chunks of hull fly out, with small smoke trails coming out of the holes long after the explosion's finished? Not exactly that realistic, but hey, rule of cool. If FS2 intro can do it...

But disregard the criticism. I'm just an idiot ranting on a WIP for a final cutscene that's going to blow my mind. Right? :D

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Motion blur will be added.. I'm not doing DoF.. the benefit to cost ratio in terms of render times is just WAY too great and not worth it.

Offline Kolgena

Fair enough.

Still, do you notice what I'm talking about though? Right after the Lucifer comes out, it looks off. Maybe oversaturated glow maps? (Speaking of which, death flicker back to red, then black would be pretty cool)

Offline Scani

Hi guys! Wow, after more than two years of reading this forum I finally decided to write something... Firstly It's simply amazing seeing how much love you guys put into this game. I've never encountered such a hardworking community...

OK, to the point. Endgame cutscene looks brilliant, even as a WIP, but there is one thing I don't like - Lucy's textures. I know they resemble those from original endgame, but they make Lucifer look less dangerous, and that ship should look like death itself. I think, red textures are better in achieving that feeling - I assume even :v: realised that and turned Lucifer's textures into red in the main game.

Even if you decide to stick to current textures, green colour on them is far too shiny. In original scene it's much more moderate.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:33:01 pm by Scani »

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
And now I had to register so that I could tell you, that the green color looks great and absolutely makes sense, because it's just 1337!

Seriously, the turquoise / green color shows that the Luci is running in subspace-mode, what - in my opinion - is totally awesome and also adds detail. After it leaves subspace, the color turns to red - as you can see in Icey-Jones great Destruction of Vasuda Cutscene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9soWW_haNbM

So please stay with that green :nod:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:03:27 pm by T-LoW »
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
My thoughts exactly. :) The next release of FSPort will give the Shivans green glowmaps in subspace.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
My thoughts exactly. :) The next release of FSPort will give the Shivans green glowmaps in subspace.
Awww, sick! :yes:

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Galemp: errm, aaany chance the green could be optional? The lucifer pulls the green look of better than any other shivan ship but I still don't like it in the slightest sorry!
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Awww, sick! :yes:
YEAAAAH! :yes:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Galemp: errm, aaany chance the green could be optional? The lucifer pulls the green look of better than any other shivan ship but I still don't like it in the slightest sorry!

You could just grab the standard glowmap and rename it to override the subspace glowmaps on your local copy.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
There's only one subspace mission in the port, i don't see the big problem with Green maps for one mission. :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png