Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 378910 times)

Re: Cutscene Upgrade [RELEASE: EndGame (FS1)] (56kers be warned!)
I can play the 1080p vids no probs, but they stutter in a few places, it's not random "WE CANNAE HANDLE THE PRESSURE CAPTAIN" stutters, it's at certain exact moments, every time.

Seems a bit weird..?
720p versions are flawless.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
I can play the 1080p vids no probs, but they stutter in a few places, it's not random "WE CANNAE HANDLE THE PRESSURE CAPTAIN" stutters, it's at certain exact moments, every time.

Seems a bit weird..?
720p versions are flawless.

Exactly the same. On "Endgame", it happen especially when things are exploding, between 00:11 and 00:15 sec and between 01:02 and 01:06, after Lucy's explosion, when the ships pass in front of the screen.

BTW, I wanted to ask you which software I could use to make subtitles for the cutscenes ? I'm actually porting the FS1 french translation to the FSPort. Thanks in advance.
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Subtitles? On the Ancients? Surely you jest!

Simply dub over the audio from the French cutscenes and it should sync perfectly.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
I had this idea but the french dub is crappy  :drevil: ...I want to keep the english version purity for those who want it  :P

...I wanted to ask you which software I could use...
Any advice about this ? I will make a dubbed AND a subtitled version, but without the proper software... :doubt:

My translation will have two version : one with only the text translated (and so, the cutscenes subtitled), and one with the text, the voices, and the cutscenes dubbed. I will also correct some errors in the original translation (some debriefings were not translated, like the "You are a cheater" (Debriefing 4) one in Pandora's Box, the GT Intelligence who came "to capture the Omega" while they are here for the Rasputin (if you decide to capture it) in "Avenging Angels", and many more others little things.
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline saied

hey im an alright modeler and i be glad if u guys need help. love to work on  project like this

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just watched FS1 End-game final in 720p.  Awesome job! :yes: :D

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline kruai

OK, so... perhaps I'm being dumb, but I currently don't have a data/movies folder. I'm using the latest build, however.
Let it be known that I'm still a noob when it comes to this stuff, but I'd really like to get these to work ^///^

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you don't have the folder yet, just create it.  FS2's file system is cool like that.

After long waiting time.. Is this dead ?
My english isnt very good. Please forgive me :)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Offline CaptJosh

Sorry to bump this, and I know that the creator of these scenes is very busy, however...

I think something needs to be done about the encoding of the 1080 endgame cutscene. It stutters in Media Player Classic, and the video stops entirely in SMPlayer 0.6.9 shortly into the clip, and I'm on a pretty monster rig here. By contrast, the 720 version has only one issue that I saw, and it was just that the virtual camera didn't turn smoothly when turning toward Earth.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They all work fine on my rig.

The animation is not smooth at 00:07-00:09, stutters during the explosions during the next scene the bigger the explosion the worse the stutter, the animation also stutters at 01:01-01:06 - basically when the moon is on screen, and especially when the thoth flies across the screen.
The rest is error free, but the problems are obviously rendered in because the problem is the same on both my systems and different media players, in and out of game, it's more like it's missing frames when I look at it in an editor..
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
See, but here's the deal. I just tested the 1080s again when I first saw the new post. They all run perfectly smooth for me. So, no. It's not rendered in. However, all those instances are times when a large portion of the screen changes abruptly; this makes me guess it has to do with decoding and how fast your computer/media player can handle it.

Offline CaptJosh

I have a Phenom X3 2.3 GHz, with 4 GB DDR2 800, and an nVidia GT430 video card with 1 GB RAM on it. I regularly play 1080 videos on it without issue. Except this one. Something's not right and it isn't my computer that's at fault here.
CaptJosh

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And how many of those 1080p videos are encoded with Theora? Oh, and I'll say it again.

The videos (the exact same files I put up for download) work perfectly on my rig. (Bold to make sure you saw it.) But hey.. whatev. You're the expert it seems...

Offline CaptJosh

Did some updates to my codecs to make sure it wasn't that for an issue. The video still stutters in a couple spots, but it only stutters, rather than the playback locking up like before on SMplayer. The audio is rock solid though, always has been. I'm curious to know just how much computer you have, and what OS, mjn.
CaptJosh

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I have reports from a few other members that the 1080s run fine on their comps as well. Perhaps we need MD5 hash checks. I'll get those values up sometime soon.

I'm running a core i7 3.40Ghz with 16GB ram on this rig. I also tested this an another rig I have at 2.8Ghz with 8GB ram. It stutters ever so slightly with the moon, but other than that, it runs fine.

Personally, I think the compression bit-rate is too high on the 1080p version for people to play it effectively on anything but a high-end machine. I spent a good chunk of time choosing what bit rates to use for each size, wagering quality to file size and I don't think I'm going to change it right now. Consider the 1080p version 'future proof' and the 720p versions current for mid to high-end machine use.

Offline CaptJosh

Ok, so it is an issue with the files, but the issue is that they're meant for an even more powerful computer than mine. That explains it. Though it did help that I got newer ogg codecs. Sorry for being so grouchy about it the other day.
CaptJosh