Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 380505 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Cutscene Upgrade [RELEASE: EndGame (FS1)] (56kers be warned!)
Gents,

The time has nearly come... I have almost all of the characters ready. Most of the ships I need have been HTL'd. I expect cutscene progress to increase soon. Many of them have been started already. Check the first post to see which ones. There is still a lot of work to do though.

With that in mind, I'd like to host an open discussion. I have questions/issues about various cutscenes (FS1 & FS2). I have reservations about the difficulty of some of them. Regarding what I've finished. What could I have done better? I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Additionally, I know you all have questions or concerns about how I might handle certain elements in future cutscenes. Many of you might want to know if I'll make any of the scenes from the FS Reference Bible.

Perhaps you are just curious about the exact status of any given scene. I'd be glad to share specifically, with screens if I have them, about all of the above.

This open discussion will take place on Oct 30 at 7pm CST in IRC #CutsceneProject
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Well, this is a nice change of pace and something I very much look forward to. If I can't make the meeting itself, then I'll read the transcript. I'll be there if I'm free.

Offline starlord

Your mastery in this is quite extensive. For my part i would love to see a tombaugh destruction scene.

Offline Luis Dias

Your videos are top notch. The tiniest of things I remember you could spend some time working out how you could improve is ship explosions. The ones where the bombing of the Lucifer occur in subspace are somewhat ... dated by now.

All else, I really couldn't remember anything. I am extremely curious to what you can do with the final supernovae cutscenes, they are anything but easy to do right!

edit: hope the discussions are useful. Won't be there myself most probably.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Just re-watched your cutscenes and whoops, looks that I have an older version of Endgame on my HDD...
Well yeah the explosions look outdated. Also their alpha-channel seems not to be added or screened (so the explosions glow by themselves) but directly drawn. Maybe you try to composite real footage if you have something available? (e.g. videocopilot's ActionEssentials)

Other than that... pretty crisp work there. I'd still love to see the Hades crashing onto Deneb 3 :nod:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about rendering an alternate failure cutscene for FS1, showing the Lucifer jumping into Sol and blasting the hell out of Earth and all ships present.  ;7
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
That would be cool, but only after all other cutscenes are done.
Let's not forget he's the only one doing them.

Go Mjn GO!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Luis Dias

How about rendering an alternate failure cutscene for FS1, showing the Lucifer jumping into Sol and blasting the hell out of Earth and all ships present.  ;7

BP AoA could use that.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I second the Tombaugh Station thing.

Also, if/whenever you do Hall Fight, could you perhaps do an alternate version that is more close to the version in the Reference Bible?  We'd have to find voice actors to fill in the missing lines, but having the extended version would just... hnnnnnng
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page

BP AoA could use that.

Make it Independence Day-ish, wait, they said in the Ref Bible they'll try not to make it like ID4. You'd have to pick a much more convenient monument to blow up first that's not the White House.
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline Luis Dias

The White House has been demolished in the 21st century world war where Iran atomically defeated the USA, burning a whole continent to the ground. In its place there's a giant book of the Koran opened to the skies.

I wouldn't mind a shot to that monument.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
why are we just talking 1 building? this is a weapon which so far as we know has multi megaton nuke levels of energy output, why not pick a city, show off a few landmarks and then take a perspective outside the city and envelop it in a massive beam.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Honestly, I think there are more creative ways of doing such a cutscene without showing some well-known landmark getting glassed. I'll add this all to the discussion list for the open discussion on Oct 30. (7pm CST in IRC #CutsceneProject)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
One more day 'til the discussion. I can't wait!

Offline Luis Dias

I was being extremely pedantic. The whole notion is amazingly cliché. That's not bad, btw and it has its own benefits: you just have to choose the single best scene you can remember of this kind and try to emulate it.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Gents, here's the topic list for the open discussion on Oct 30. (7pm CST in IRC #CutsceneProject)
(About 23.5 hours from the time of this post.)

• Previous Works
    • What worked well?
    • What can I try to do better on the newer cutscenes? (Because the old ones aren't changing)
  • New FS1 Remakes
    • What changes are necessary (if any) in order to fix :V: bugs?
      • Intro Manticore Weapons
      • Command Brief Map
      • Hall Fight Scaling Issue (marines through the dockport, Elysium size issue)
    • Faces, how exactly must they look like the original?
    • Interiors as Mainhalls
  • New FS2 Remakes
    • Intro Issues
      • Manticore Weapons
      • Lucifer Beam
      • Others I Forgot
    • Creating Good Looking Nebula
    • Order, which ones do you want to see first?
    • Interiors as Mainhalls
  • Custom Cutscenes
    • FS1
    • FS2
    • Other
  • Status Update
    • Current focus
    • Special previews
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 07:38:10 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Good list of topics. I'll attend this cutscene meeting with my involvement in the project, images, progress renders ect.
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Here's the transcript from the Open Discussion. This gives me a good idea how to proceed, thanks to those who took the time.

@MjnMixael:   so... first up is talking about what's already done
here's a refresher https://vimeo.com/channels/413098

Phantom_Hoover:   Explosion effects in Endgame are a bit dodgy, aren't they?

@MjnMixael:   it seems many people don't like them

Luis_lurking:    yes... but they are less bad than I remember them

Phantom_Hoover:   How'd you render these?

Luis_lurking:    don't be hard on yourself. explosions are very very hard to do well.

@MjnMixael:   though, interestingly, everyone "knows" how to fix them by assuming they are composited into the scene. Which they aren't, they are done with a fluid dynamics system

Phantom_Hoover:   Heh.

@Oddgrim:   While I agree they could be better looking, but sadly I don't know how.

Phantom_Hoover:   It's a bit telling that everyone assumes they're composited though.

Luis_lurking:    I can see they are Mjn.

Phantom_Hoover:   black_yoshi[doh], no it wasn't, have some hard tack pie.

@MjnMixael:   I toyed with composited explosions in this scene but with the action going on, I really wanted the fighters/bombers to interact with the explosions

Phantom_Hoover:   Is it because they have such a sharp contrast with the other graphics?
Also you did that with a fluid dynamics system? Wow

Luis_lurking:    Yes, there is a lot of things, I do not know if Mjn wants a list of what happened there... is that your idea?

@MjnMixael:   rephrase that with better grammar?

Luis_lurking:    sorry

Phantom_Hoover:   Have the voices been redone?

@MjnMixael:   they have for the Ancients cutscenes

Luis_lurking:    I was asking if by posting the vimeo videos, you want a proper criticism, or lets get to other stuff?

@MjnMixael:   Dan Wentz redid the music and had the voices re-recorded

@Oddgrim:   He did? Bless him.

@MjnMixael:   I don't want to take up the entire time with a full list crit, but if you have specific things to talk about, feel free

black_yoshi[doh]:   PH, just the Ancients' voice is redone as far as I know. Not sure if you can find a replacement for Bosch or the Colossus reader (ahem, Kurtwood Smith).

JC:   that voice is awesome, must be hard to find a fitting replacement, else keep voice file instead?

@Oddgrim:   I can post the renders to the FS1 pilot if you want to MjnMixael

Luis_lurking:    Well the first explosions are too contrasting (which isn't bad), but then the set does not seem to be influenced by that light
that is what makes many people think it was composited.
the detail of having the mesh slightly destroyed is nice, but it repeats exactly the same some 4 or 6 times.

@MjnMixael:   the set is definitely influenced by the light from the explosions

Luis_lurking:    it is, but not enough.

@Oddgrim:   I think the textures look to muddy when contrasted to the hi-quality explotions.

@MjnMixael:   could be

Luis_lurking:    well that was a problem of the models themselves.

Phantom_Hoover:   I think that's it.

@MjnMixael:   but that issue is not easily remedied without the source textures for the HTL Lucifer

Phantom_Hoover:   Luis_lurking, but the models aren't going to change any time soon.

@Oddgrim:   The difference is quite yarring. And makes the explotion stand out a lot more

Luis_lurking:    the explosions themselves... well I don't like them still.

@Oddgrim:   I don't want to assume too much but think it is salvageable without the source perhaps.

@Oddgrim:   Would require a complete rebuild, taht is if it's possible.

@MjnMixael:   complete rebuild of what?

@Oddgrim:   the HTL textures.

Luis_lurking:    wow.

@Oddgrim:   of the lucy

@MjnMixael:   right.. well that's probably a bit too much work for a scene I don't want to re-render again (it takes a full 2 weeks)

Luis_lurking:    I think redoing this scene is probably a project for 2016 or 2020.

@MjnMixael:   not by me

Luis_lurking:    right lol

@Oddgrim:   Yes.
hehe mjn ;p

@MjnMixael:   alright, before we move on.. anything other than the explosions to discuss as far as feedback to keep in mind as I move forward?

Luis_lurking:    Well, MJN, what about the end explosions?
So some amazing person should make an amazing update of the Lucy and then perhaps that project can hold up.

@MjnMixael:   those are specifically made to match the original
someone, I think, about that once

Luis_lurking:    What do you feel about them? They feel a little disjointed, as if they don't convey the blast, as if they are a sequence of things that must happen (light, bang, rings, light again, etc.)

@MjnMixael:   they match the original almost exactly

Luis_lurking:    Yeah, let me look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5sdlDK0TOw
The sequence is tighter.

@MjnMixael:   noted

Luis_lurking:    Also, there is not a "point light" where the blast "starts", making it obvious it is some 3d point object that you placed in front of the lucy.

@MjnMixael:   it's not a 3d object placed in front, actually... that one was composited

Luis_lurking:    Note how the blasts start with "blobs", fuzzying the area (and hiding the details so it is easy  to do)
Yeah, I was thinking 3dstudio, where you can do that in post video (or whtv it is called)

@MjnMixael:   well, as I said, I don't want to spend the whole time on this.. there's a lot to cover... and we are starting to discuss specifics of a scene that won't be remade. and these points aren't really transferrable to the other cutscenes

Luis_lurking:    yes
just useful for future reference? lets move on if you want.

Phantom_Hoover:   will bosch's laptop have a vaguely reasonable ui

Luis_lurking:    roflmao good question.

@MjnMixael:   so let's move on to the new FS1 remakes, specifically how to resolve certain V errors (if they need to be resolved at all)
we'll get to that in a bit

@Oddgrim:   bosch is old school he uses ms dos command line.

@MjnMixael:   For example, the FS1 intro has the Manticore shooting lasers from its missile mounts... should that be changed?

Luis_lurking:    ok, the intro FS1 scene, right?

Axem:   yes
change it

niffiwan-work:   yes

Luis_lurking:    yeah

Axem:   change it change it change it change it

Luis_lurking:    thats a given.

@Oddgrim:   yes.

@MjnMixael:   haha, alrighty then

Phantom_Hoover:   Wait, are you trying to remake them shot-by-shot?

@MjnMixael:   SIDENOTE: after 30 min of screaming, it sounds like my daughter fell asleep

black_yoshi[doh]:   Ash's Apollo will still be a two-seater, right?

Phantom_Hoover:   MjnMixael, be responsible parent: consider possibility that she is instead dead

niffiwan-work:   do we have a two seater model?

@MjnMixael:   yes, it is currently planned that Ash will be flying the 2 seater Apollo equipped with missile mounts and all

@Oddgrim:   cool.

@MjnMixael:   Hades is currently working on an Apollo HTL along with its variant

Luis_lurking:    Hades.
RIght.

@MjnMixael:   http://p3d.in/mV7pj

@Oddgrim:   He is progressing well so far.

@MjnMixael:   indeed

Luis_lurking:    wow it's really good.

Phantom_Hoover:   wait, who was in the other seat of ash's apollo

black_yoshi[doh]:   White Apollo or Red Apollo.

@MjnMixael:   some dead guy

JC:   It's good to hear the intro is being remade, thats definitely something I've been looking for

@MjnMixael:   it'll match the cutscene's colors

black_yoshi[doh]:   PH, probably the WSO/Copilot, but he's dead anyway.

@Oddgrim:   How long it lasts.. I don't know. Hopefully until the end.

Phantom_Hoover:   wtf is with those giant holes in the engines

@MjnMixael:   unfinished parts

@Oddgrim:   it's not done yet.

@MjnMixael:   now, this one I'm a bit fuzzy on.. perhaps Goober5000 can clear it up
but I recall some issue with the Command Brief map being inaccurate

Luis_lurking:    (for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qRJDv5UcRc)

@MjnMixael:   I should have been more clear, I'm talking about the map in the Command Brief cutscenese, not the intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xzRKcZbgG8

Luis_lurking:    There's a lot of discussion about it in the wiki

@MjnMixael:   link

Luis_lurking:    grmp wait

Goober5000:   o hai
yeah, the command briefing is different in the position of the systems, but not their connections

@MjnMixael:   so changing/fixing that shouldn't really be a cause for concern

Luis_lurking:    http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Node_Inconsistencies

Goober5000:   stand by

Luis_lurking:    but doesn't it fail to have some connections and stuff?

Phantom_Hoover:   MjnMixael, are you going to completely rework the Battle of Deneb or just keep it the way it is?

@MjnMixael:   Phantom, we'll get there

@Oddgrim:   indeed

Goober5000:   in the command brief cutscene, it should not be a concern, right

@MjnMixael:   awsum

Goober5000:   and actually, I can see why they did it the way they did -- though I defer to MJN's professional opinion :p

@MjnMixael:   to get the systems bigger on the map
easier to see, etc

Goober5000:   they are talking about the jump from Ribos to Ikeya, but from a visual arrangement consideration, the Betelgeuse graphic is closest
yes
so they relabeled Betelgeuse as Ikeya
since they have the same correct jump lines and number of jump nodes, it's ok

@MjnMixael:   alright, I'll toy with that and see how things work and what looks best

Not_Nuclear:   as far as changes to the FS2 battle of deneb cutscene, are any major changes planned to it other than fixing the lucifer beam errors and some other minor issues?

@MjnMixael:   but good to know that I don't have to keep some wierd node stuff

Goober5000:   the possibly more controversial part of that cutscene are the links from Sol shown at the beginning :p

@MjnMixael:   those will stay

Luis_lurking:    Yeah that can be cut off.
lolll

@MjnMixael:   they stayed in the cb anim remakes and ST:R answers that question quite nicely, imo

Luis_lurking:    why though? we know those do not exist.
ah.

@Oddgrim:   should have dropped these earlier : ash model work in progress http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1358/fontback.png
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1149/helmet1.png
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3811/face1f.png

Goober5000:   at 0:20, the jumps from Sol to Deneb and Sol to BetAq are shown

Luis_lurking:    (blank on ST:R)

Goober5000:   I'm in favor of keeping the Sol lines though, for STR reasons :D
(credit originally goes to Mad Bomber for the phasing jump node idea though)

@MjnMixael:   as I recall, ST:R basically says that the Lucifer explosion was strong enough to knock out the weaker nodes too

Goober5000:   yup

@MjnMixael:   man, look at that PILOT

Goober5000:   that pilot doesn't look like Adam Pletcher though :(

niffiwan-work:   looks good :)

@Oddgrim:   Adam who? :p

@MjnMixael:   we'll get to that topic soon...

the last cutscene error I have on my list is the Hall Fight scaling issue

Not_Nuclear:   adam pletcher, one of the chief writers on fs1
i think. he wrote the fsbible didnt he?

black_yoshi[doh]:   Isn't he also one of the FS Project Directors?

@MjnMixael:   marines going through the Elysium dockport would be super-sized

Goober5000:   lol
as in, how many meters?

black_yoshi[doh]:   Um, 1.8ish meters?

@Oddgrim:   Oh yes, they would be 5m tall or something?

Goober5000:   ok, I'm in favor of shrinking the marines to proper scale

@MjnMixael:   the opening in the cutscene that they float through would be pretty darned big

Goober5000:   idea: since the team is referred to as "Squad 2", perhaps there could be two squads, each of which investigate a separate tunnel that is to proper scale

@Oddgrim:   aye.

niffiwan-work:   what about having smaller opening within the Elysium dockpoint?
like a door within a door

@MjnMixael:   I meant to do a scale comparison image for this...
I thought about that
but wasn't sure how to visually show that without changing the cut of the cutscene

Goober5000:   hmm

@MjnMixael:   we see the inside of the Elysium.. perhaps we see the whole dock door, but then only a small circle by the Marines actually opens?

Goober5000:   that might work

@Oddgrim:   would be good, like a huge pressure system around it.
So it sucks on the hull
It is a multi purpose boarding craft along other things.

Goober5000:   indeed

@MjnMixael:   pardon the quick mockup http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/9918/imagebin.jpg

Goober5000:   could be a human-sized docking system that's lsimilar to a cargo-sized docking system

@MjnMixael:   the red would be the whole dock door with teh green being the part that actually opens

Goober5000:   that is a terrible mockup

@MjnMixael:   I could also zoom the scene out some

@Oddgrim:   lol, but I can make out what you mean

niffiwan-work:   I see what you mean - looks good

@Oddgrim:   the green sbribbles are the opening right?

@MjnMixael:   yeah
coolio, that'll be the plan then

@Oddgrim:   some burnt marks and signs of forced entry would be cool to

@MjnMixael:   good call
next item... Faces

niffiwan-work:   might be getting too ambitious, but would they let off some sort of flashbang equivalent before the marines enter?

@MjnMixael:   how exactly must the faces match the original?

niffiwan, if that happens, it's not in the cutscene because I can't change the cut or the audio

niffiwan-work:   oh right - forgot about that :)

black_yoshi[doh]:   Besides, would flashbangs work against Shivan optics?

@MjnMixael:   the faces issue most applies to the FS1 Intro and the Command Brief cutscenes

black_yoshi[doh]:   In which case they're wearing masks.

@Oddgrim:   flashbangs, are they used if you know or expect someone to be waiting?

black_yoshi[doh]:   Instead of Riviera control.

@MjnMixael:   this is potentially a problem because I apparently suck at making the faces match others... I tried altering one of my guys to look like Lt. McCarthy with no success

@Oddgrim:   nevermind that point is moot anyhow since you can't edit the audio
Have you tried programs like zbrush or the maya/max sculpt tool? (silly question I know but I needs to ask)
if not then perhaps I can help?

JC:   dont one of the pilot heads completely match mccarthy tho?

@MjnMixael:   well, I'll be honest, I'd been trying to alter the faces in such a way so that I don't have to redo the face texture/UVs

Goober5000:   some faces I don't care about, but I would be highly disappointed if we don't have a FS guy who looks like Adam Pletcher

@Oddgrim:   Yes that makes it more promlematic.

Goober5000:   considering how much that model was used in FS1

@MjnMixael:   Oddgrim, if you can help with that, then perhaps we can get closer, but it's not an easy job

@Oddgrim:   Indeed.
I'll give it my best try.

@MjnMixael:   anyone else have thoughts?

Goober5000:   I thought the Riviera comm officer was ugly when I first saw her >.>

niffiwan-work:   I think it'd be nice if the faces were close, but I have no idea of the complexity involved.

Axem:   (goober's got a crush on riviera comm officer)

Goober5000:   no u
I have a crush on Head-CM5

niffiwan-work:   who said something about it being Lt. Kim's sister? :)

@Oddgrim:   Please no, that won't look good nifflwan
I'm almost spent.

black_yoshi[doh]:   I wish there was a pilot persona with sunglasses.

JC:   on that note the starlancer head anis are pretty good

@MjnMixael:   alright, so it sounds like Ash is the only one that people care about...

JC:   though they dont have the exact same headgear
ash is most important in my opinion,

@MjnMixael:   are rather -really- care about
the rest can just be close

JC:   but riviera outpost woman also is important to me, but close enough is good too

@MjnMixael:   I'm betting the Riviera lady can be a woman with black hair and we are good

JC:   suppose so, as long as voice fits looks, so to speak

black_yoshi[doh]:   the rest of the pilots are dead redshirts anyway... wait, you have to do Vasudan and Terran pilots on the Galatea.

Goober5000:   yeah

@Oddgrim:   http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_madcmbQ9Bi1qifjgh.png I WANT TO BE THE VERY BEST.
..sorry.

Goober5000:   actually Admiral Wolf is also Ash but without the helmet

@MjnMixael:   black_yoshi, those pilots on the Galatea can pretty much be anyone because they are not central
I have a Vasudan, no pilot costume for him yet though

JC:   lt ash caught all the pokemon in the world and space, shivans are team rocket chasing him down?

Goober5000:   woo Vasudan!

JC:   seems about right

@MjnMixael:   let's keep going

Axem:   dear adam, can you please email us a 3d laser scan of your head?
sign diehard fs2 fans

JC:   yay for vasudans

@MjnMixael:   lol

@Oddgrim:   Yes.

@MjnMixael:   one thing I want to do is to use some of these interiors as mainhall options for the community
a no brainer is the Arcadia interior
but doing this requires a lot of work.. so basically I want to hear which ones you guys would use or think would get a lot of use before I actually do it

JC:   interiors is something we talked about before, side story, wish those could be modelled some day for ingame cutscenes

black_yoshi[doh]:   no headz vid?

Goober5000:   how about that corridor that appears in the EXE that was on the Silent Threat CD
that looping 15 second one
where Ash runs down a corridor

@MjnMixael:   run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run
with a weapon
you want that as a mainhall, Goober?

@Oddgrim:   I HAVE WATCHED THAT ONE SO MANY.TIMES

@MjnMixael:   XD

JC:   any interiors that let you immerse yourself even more, as a ingame model so camera works with it, would be grand as said. :)
Goober5000:   actually I was thinking it would be cool if we ever got to do a main hall where people walk around the ship >.>
so we'd need a hallway to get from place to place

JC:   Agreed, definitely, guess you could try that with the spacesuits a little
@MjnMixael:   um, ok, I'll say this again

JC:   if controls can be locked down somehow

@MjnMixael:   I'm not making mainhalls ready for the game to render in real-time
that just won't happen by me. ever.

JC:   I know
We talked about that before

Goober5000:   this would be a slide-show type walking around, like the original Myst

JC:   just daydreaming a little and throwing the idea out there

Goober5000:   click on main hall, click on hallway, click on hangar

@MjnMixael:   Goober5000: when this gets completed, I'll make you a hallway.. http://pastebin.com/X16iYa9X

@Oddgrim:   magic words indeed.

@MjnMixael:   other than that, it sounds like no one really cares to have these interiors as mainhalls? that makes my job much easier

Goober5000:   well the Arcadia would be a nice hallway, as you said

JC:   not sure how many campaigns really use arcadias as main bases for a significant amount of time
the more options the better though

Goober5000:   Derelict
>.>

@Oddgrim:   Oh **** yes!

Axem:   (JAD2.2 uses an arcadia!)

@Oddgrim:   Make it so.

Axem:   (but i probably wouldnt use an arcadia mainhall)

JC:   well i played derelict but i think my memory is failing on me, cant really remember much of after that loki drone mission

Goober5000:   also a PVD Typhon interior would be simply awesome
it could be used for Shrouding the Light

@MjnMixael:   I don't recall there being a Vasudan interior in any FS1 cutscenes

Goober5000:   not that -- right

@Oddgrim:   does the nu typhon have a modeled hangar?

@MjnMixael:   yeah
any other FS1 cutscene related stuff to discuss before I move on to FS2?

Goober5000:   hmm

@Oddgrim:   brb getting a drink and bashing my head to the wall to stay awake.

Goober5000:   oh, the Ribos destruction cutscene

@MjnMixael:   we'll get to that later

Goober5000:   k
and what about that big antenna extension on the Riviera?

@MjnMixael:   I've gone back and forth.. if I did it, I'd probably just copy/paste a tower from the Arcadia HTL down there with some slight edits
it's a pretty unimportant aspect of the scene

the only other thing I can think of are the flags in the command brief scene

@MjnMixael:   the flags?

Goober5000:   there are flags on opposite sides of the room

@MjnMixael:   what about them?

Goober5000:   or rather, one flag, an insignia, and a pennant
wondering if you were going to add the flag

@MjnMixael:   why not? it's in the scene

Goober5000:   ok, cool :)

@MjnMixael:   alright, let's move on to FS2 and probably one of the more interesting challenges of this project

@Oddgrim:   back

@MjnMixael:   we all know how many errors there are in the FS2 intro cutscene... which ones can/should be fixed and which ones should stay
manticore weapons, lucifer beam, etc

Not_Nuclear:   the medusa weapons
medusa cant carry banshee

@Oddgrim:   so what should it be changed to?

Not_Nuclear:   those are the only really blatant errors
prometheus or avenger

@Oddgrim:   avenger i say, pretty yellow lights.

Not_Nuclear:   most of the other inconsistencies can be explained away

niffiwan-work:   I thought they kinda looked like ML-16s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khIWdolT9xY

Not_Nuclear:   by their sound and color, they had to be banshees

@MjnMixael:   well I can't change the sounds

@Oddgrim:   blue lights
ml16 are white I think

niffiwan-work:   I probably just don't remember the banshee vs ml-16 very well - I thought they were both a "grey-ish blue" colour

Not_Nuclear:   banshee's more purple

niffiwan-work:   I don't think it's too important though

Not_Nuclear:   ml-16 is a bit of white-blue

@MjnMixael:   I assume you guys would suggest I fix the Manticore weapons again?

@Oddgrim:   that with retail nuclear?

Not_Nuclear:   i cant remember exactly
i just remember the ML-16 being blueish-white
that may be how it was in the Port as well

niffiwan-work:   fix Manticore weapons = yes

Goober5000:   fix the Manticore, yes

Not_Nuclear:   yes, manti fix

@Oddgrim:   fix munti, take him to gandalf

@MjnMixael:   well let's consider the most difficult error.. the Lucifer beam

Not_Nuclear:   didnt we kind of oddly-retcon that with the new vasuda prime cutscene?

@MjnMixael:   sorta

Not_Nuclear:   adding the flux cannon to the lucifer's side to bombard the planet?

@MjnMixael:   we consider it a planet bombardment beam, but that would need to be blue
not yellow

niffiwan-work:   if you make the beam comes from the proper beam points, you'd need to move the camera in the shot?

JC:   perhaps explained as a result of atmospheric entry?

Goober5000:   and move the ship itself

@MjnMixael:   which is not preferable

JC:   i'm sure that got talked about a lot before tho

Goober5000:   I say keep the ships as they are, and just use the side beam

Not_Nuclear:   JC: problem with that is the beam appears blue even in the spaceshot

Goober5000:   from the claw-like turret

JC:   oh, hmm

@MjnMixael:   my vote is use the flux beam and just make it blue

niffiwan-work:   dual purpose side beam?  dial 1 for plantary bombardment, dial 2 for holes in orions?

JC:   guess i can fix that in any missions i have by making that one blue :P but still

Not_Nuclear:   Mjn: sounds good to me

@MjnMixael:   lol niffiwan

JC:   just a BBlue or HBlue

@Oddgrim:   dealing with a galazy devouring shivans, button 3 makes toast.

@MjnMixael:   heh
alright, sounds like a plan
one major effect I need to figure out for doing FS2 cutscenes is creating the nebula effect

Not_Nuclear:   was there any other glaring problems in that cutscene?
*were

@MjnMixael:   I have not tried to do it yet, but of all the other effects.. I don't have a good way off the top of my head to do that
I could do it the way the game does it, by rendering bitmaps in 3d space and moving them toward/away from the camera.. but if anyone has other suggestions, now's the time

Not_Nuclear:   youre the expert

Goober5000:   will the Orion's nameplate be readable?

Not_Nuclear:   might as well
community's largely fanoned it into the legion

Goober5000:   that side is normally not visible, except for one scene

@Oddgrim:   the fanon makes it out to be legion right?

Goober5000:   yup

@Oddgrim:   so why not.

@MjnMixael:   sure, why not?
in the HD version, it will likely be readable

JC:   yeah, legion it is

@MjnMixael:   I already know what my order is for finishing the FS1 cutscenes, what scenes do you guys want me to work on first for the FS2 cutscenes?

Goober5000:   the nameplate *is* readable in the Colossus cutscene

@MjnMixael:   o.O

Goober5000:   for like 1/4 of a second
and it's the Galatea :p

Not_Nuclear:   i always thought that was 1) in-universe, a propaganda sort of thing, 2) out of the universe, a little easter egg for the fans

Goober5000:   I'm not convinced it was intentional >.>

Not_Nuclear:   well, should it be changed then?

niffiwan-work:   FS2 order - I *really* like the intro cutscene :)

@MjnMixael:   huh, seems you're right.. never noticed that before (colossus nameplate)
I vote Bastion or Soyakaze

Goober5000:   I vote Galatea just for lolz

@MjnMixael:   makes nooooo seeeense

Goober5000:   but I won't complain if it's one of the others

@MjnMixael:   Galatea is boomed

Not_Nuclear:   well, bastion was supposed to be decommissioned by the time the colossus was launched

@Oddgrim:   Snugglepuff

Not_Nuclear:   soyakaze could work though

Goober5000:   Soyakaze is A-1 SUPAR

@MjnMixael:   k, so FS2 intro first

@Oddgrim:   or Soyakaze

@MjnMixael:   Bastion cutscene is probably the easiest of all the FS2 cutscenes

@Oddgrim:   which is king of soy or something.

Not_Nuclear:   what major changes will be made to the bastion scene?

@MjnMixael:   none

@Oddgrim:   Yes, I'm curious

Not_Nuclear:   just updating the models or will there be some background added as well?

@Oddgrim:   oh.

Axem:   add some AT-STs, mjn

@MjnMixael:   nope, just updated models is all

Not_Nuclear:   fair enough

@MjnMixael:   and AT-STs walking along the Bastion

Axem:   yessss

Not_Nuclear:   dewbacks too

@MjnMixael:   no

niffiwan-work:   lets not get silly now! :)\

Not_Nuclear:   yeah, youre right thats silly

Axem:   dewbacks can be in the colossus cutscene

Not_Nuclear:   dewbacks would be in the bosch scenes

Axem:   or that

@MjnMixael:   -_-

Goober5000:   the ship classes in the Bastion cutscene are totally not the ones that appear in the Bastion mission

@MjnMixael:   hmm, interestin
explain

Goober5000:   Myrmidons and Taurvis

niffiwan-work:   e.g. replace taurvi with seraphim?

Not_Nuclear:   taurvis do show up in that mission
...i thought

Goober5000:   a Perseus does appear, which is correct

@MjnMixael:   the cutscene has a perseus, herc 2 and myrmidons

Goober5000:   Taurvis do not show up in sm2-09

niffiwan-work:   ??? anyone got a copy of the mission file?

Not_Nuclear:   well, considering its 3-09 :P

Goober5000:   er
3-09 >.>
typo

Not_Nuclear:   alright, i was wrong then, no taurvis

@MjnMixael:   i'm down with fixing the fighters because it's a pretty small change and makes sense
what -does- appear in the mission?

Goober5000:   Perseus, Herc 2, Erinyes, maybe Ares

Not_Nuclear:   hercIIs, perseus

@MjnMixael:   and for shivans?

Not_Nuclear:   well, myrmidons are available in the loadout in that case

Goober5000:   Nephilim, Seraphim, Nahemas, you name it -- except Taurvis

mara?

Not_Nuclear:   default are all hercs or perseus, except the vasudan wing too

niffiwan-work:   mara & dragons

Not_Nuclear:   basilisks

niffiwan-work:   vasudans are taurets?

Not_Nuclear:   yeah, i think so

@MjnMixael:   I wonder if the myrmidons were meant to be the zod wing?

Goober5000:   http://pastebin.com/AdG6GjFB

Not_Nuclear:   could be

@MjnMixael:   that.. is the whole mission
i'm not scrolling through that
alright, this has been noted, I'll choose which ships based on which ones look best at hi-res

Not_Nuclear:   yeah, default terran wings are all perseus or herc
taurets for the zods

@MjnMixael:   now for the fun part.. CUSTOM CUTSCENES

Goober5000:   Erinyes would be cool, just because
ooh, custom cutscenes :D

@MjnMixael:   only if we have an HTL Erinyes when I make it

Not_Nuclear:   weee!

Goober5000:   1) Ribos destruction
2) bad ending of FS1
3) wiggy wiggy wiggy

Not_Nuclear:   oh goober just had a LIST didnt he

@MjnMixael:   wiggy wiggy wiggy?

Goober5000:   from the FS Ref Bible
it's the bar fight

@MjnMixael:   i'm not doing the bar fight
or the news blurbs
booooring

Not_Nuclear:   :(

Goober5000:   bar fight would be awesome

JC:   bar fight is good fight

Goober5000:   we already have HEADZ and that short clip between Ash and a Vasudan

@MjnMixael:   best you'll get is headz

Not_Nuclear:   i second the ribos and bad ending though
we already have vasuda prime...

JC:   ribos is good though, need to see what damage was caused

@MjnMixael:   well, this is a good time to share that I am making my own version of vasuda prime

JC:   especially since i got a story outlined using ribos as one center...

Goober5000:   :o

@MjnMixael:   Icy's is good, but it's low-res and the audio is balls

@Oddgrim:   I think a role reversal viedo would be fun :p

Goober5000:   a new Vasudan cutscene would be very cool

@MjnMixael:   not to mention upside down freighters

Goober5000:   now how else is a Chronos going to pick up a container?

Axem:   itll do it

@Oddgrim:   wiggy wiggy wiggy

Axem:   SIDEWAYS

@MjnMixael:   I've already worked up a script which I'll share with you guys since you are spending your time here tonight [REDACTED]

Not_Nuclear:   1) land
2) cargo crane
3) ???

JC:   space elevator or matter teleportation :P
very unlikely both

Not_Nuclear:   dammit axem thats very irresponsible chronos driving

Axem:   its how they do it in the hood

JC:   good document, thanks for the share

niffiwan-work:   script sounds good :)

JC:   good to see someone else writing big documents for a chance, been writing entire essays on my own stuff for many months now >.>
ah the doc isnt that big actually but anyway

@MjnMixael:   I'd like to do Ribos but that much closeup fighting scares in how much work it will take
also the power drain from the ref bible makes little to no sense based on what we have seen of Shivan tech

Not_Nuclear:   well, you could cheat around that combat

Goober5000:   good script is good

Not_Nuclear:   show ribos, show lucifer jumping in, music builds up as fighters pour out

Goober5000:   and for Ribos, the power drain is probably an early concept that is no longer applicable, so you could drop it

Not_Nuclear:   some quick cuts of beams impacting the station, then fade in to the debris
and lucifer warping out

JC:   hmm too bad there doesnt seem much information about if there were habitable planets in ribos, if those were bombed too

Not_Nuclear:   ribos IV is mentioned, but nothing about planetside colonies

JC:   yeah
i mean i dont mind making my own versions but they have to fit in a concensus for best effect :P

@MjnMixael:   alternate FS1 endgame is not something I'm specifically interested in because I don't think the player should be rewarded for SUCKING
but if enough people want it, I'll consider doing it

Goober5000:   not to mention it's kind of hard to fail the last mission without dying
so it will rarely be seen

@MjnMixael:   indeed
are there any custom FS2 cutscenes the community ever wanted?

JC:   i vote middle way - a tiny cutscene showing lucy hitting earth
but that alone could be costly work

Goober5000:   I can't think of any custom FS2 cutscenes

Not_Nuclear:   i cant remember there being a cutscene for fs2 that was really in demand

@MjnMixael:   kk

Goober5000:   FS2 is pretty well-composed already

@MjnMixael:   there are two other cutscenes that I've kept notes on a pad of paper on my desk for the better part of a year that would work for ST/ST:R

Goober5000:   :o
two ones that I haven't heard of?

@MjnMixael:   yes

Goober5000:   do tell :D

niffiwan-work:   I gotta go as well - meeting starts in 2min (blurg) - good luck & thanks for soliciting this feedback/comments!

Not_Nuclear:   tell ussssss

@MjnMixael:   the first has to do with the Einstein and what it could have been doing during FS1...

Goober5000:   oho

@MjnMixael:   I envisioned it opening showing Riviera Station as Ash is asking for help. The Shivans warp in and the battle begins and the camera sweeps to a far distance where the Einstein is monitoring
after a short conversation between a couple scientists aboard, it warps out as the Shivans overrun the area

Not_Nuclear:   or a close-up with a loki escort
fade into the ST:R logo

Goober5000:   interesting

@MjnMixael:   the second deals with lab testing on Shivans themselves, specifically on the personell beam

Goober5000:   did you see the bonus stuff from 162/Phoenix regarding the Einstein?
oh, I like that

@MjnMixael:   no

Not_Nuclear:   oh crap i forgot about that stuff

@MjnMixael:   but for the one with the Eistein, I thought it would be fun to include Shivans landing on fighters and ripping them apart

Goober5000:   http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=57055.0

@MjnMixael:   that is 6 pages of stuff
yeah, I'll read that later

Not_Nuclear:   long story short, it places the einstein in ross 128 about the same time as the attack on riviera

@MjnMixael:   well then my cutscene works all the better!

Not_Nuclear:   god, going back to the 162 forum is giving me flashbacks

@MjnMixael:   Custom Cutscenes: Vasuda Prime is getting remade. Ribos will likely get made. The ST:R ones I -really- hope to make.

Not_Nuclear:   i should be certified in xenolinguistics after that vasudan language game

Goober5000:   STR ones would be awesome, woot

@MjnMixael:   the last part of this discussion is a status update
this post is almost always accurate, but it's pretty vague as to what's actually done http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=68161.msg1345929#msg1345929
For the C. Brief cutscenes, I've got a basic briefing room laid out, but nothing is detailed
I have a commander model that doesn't look like Adam Pletcher...

@MjnMixael:   Hall Fight has marines ready to go, but little else. The Lab I haven't really started on.

Goober5000:   for the FS2 cutscene order, if the Bastion can be done quickly, do it first -- moar awesome moar quickly

@MjnMixael:   the FS1 Intro has nearly every external shot set up and some even finalized and rendered
but given that most of the scene takes place in the cockpit or in the Arcadia.. it's still got some work left
you already saw the awesome Pilot model that Oddgrim is working on
and the nuApollo

Goober5000:   nu

@MjnMixael:   less is done on FS2 cutscenes, but I do have the 'classified' logo thing in hi-res ready for the Colossus cutscene as well as the drone ready for animation
if Axem finishes the HTL Ganymede, that one will be pretty quick too

Axem:   yes

@MjnMixael:   I did some effect tests for the FS2 endgame and setup some innitial scenes, but nothing major
ala [REDACTED]
the Sath model has since been updated...

Goober5000:   oh nice

@MjnMixael:   finally, I'm sure you've all seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVd4Xdfgl9k
I updated the hard-light/fsport text to be bank gothic and black so it's easier to read as suggested

Goober5000:   awexome

@MjnMixael:   as a final preview, I leave you all with this to end the formal discussion [REDACTED]
The Apollo effects are unfinished because the model is a placeholder

Goober5000:   oh nice
Goober5000:   wuvs it

@MjnMixael:   thanks all for taking the time

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FWIW, Icey kept the side-claw cannon on the Lucy as planet bombardment, and explained the color difference as the atmosphere of rhe planet affecting the beam.

The Lucy going from green/blue to orange then red was explained as the shields coming up upon exiting subspace, to account for some canon reference (FS1 Endgame?) showing Lucy as blue/green.

Which way you decide to go with it is up to you, of course.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Icy's cutscene has the Lucifer planet beam as blue before and after atmo. It's color never changes.