Author Topic: UEF vs SD Lucifer  (Read 13267 times)

Offline kir2yar

Interestingly, and UEF could cause at least some damage to SD Lutsifer?

I mean, the GTVA have beam weapons, which totally ignores shields. Have UEF something to replace?

Maybe something like anti-shield torpedoes?

Otherwise, a single Lucifer can cause serious damage to the entire fleet.
I am from Russia. Sorry for my English.
I use Google Translator.

jabber: [email protected]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The Lutsifer is vulnerable to harsh language.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

beam weapons working vs the lucifer != cannon.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline kir2yar

beam weapons working vs the lucifer != cannon.

But that means that by canon, GTVA also has no chance against Lucifer. (Well, except the battle in the subspace.)

added:
Then what's the point of building GTVA Colossus?

Did he not has been built to reflect the Shivan attack? And in particular, as a countermeasure against Lucifer.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:46:56 am by kir2yar »
I use Google Translator.

Offline kir2yar

The Lutsifer is vulnerable to harsh language.

Unfortunately, lack of communication in the English-speaking environment - certainly not become a major weapon against GTVA Shivan Destroyer. Where would they take so many illiterate Russian?
I use Google Translator.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
added:
Then what's the point of building GTVA Colossus?

Did he not has been built to reflect the Shivan attack? And in particular, as a countermeasure against Lucifer.
The Colossus had been built on assumptions and hope. They had no real idea if the Colossus could or could not have defeated another Lucifer.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline kir2yar

Ie, it's a white spot in the canon?
It seemed to me that a very widespread opinion that Lucifer protective field works the same way-as a fighter.
It seems reasonable, especially given the fact that it is so does not work in the subspace.
I use Google Translator.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Colossus had been built on assumptions and hope. They had no real idea if the Colossus could or could not have defeated another Lucifer.

The actual dev team commented that FS2 weapons could punch through the Lucifer's shield. They were however inspecific on which, but beam cannon are the logical conclusion considering the Vasudans most likely threw everything and the kitchen sink at the Lucifer while it was bombarding Vasuda Prime.

This means that technically, an Aeolus could probably beat up the Lucifer if handled well. The UEF's out of luck though.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Where did they say that out of curiosity?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We've said it in several places. In the BP verse, Lucifer shields can be pierced by Beams.

Whether or not UEF weaponry would be effective there as well, that's something that hasn't come up yet. But let us say that it would be stupid of the UEF not to have thought long and hard about how to defeat those shields.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The duel between the Orestes and the Lucy in AoA shows that the GTVA can damage a Lucifer. Even if a single Raynor couldn't do it on its own without the Vishnan's help, they definitely have the technology to damage and eventually defeat a Lucy.

Nothing tells us that the UEF has any mean to pierce Lucifer-class shields. You can make the assumption that enough anti-shield damage could have pierced them, but that's only an assumption. Nothing in canon says that the Lucifer shields work the same way that standard ones. We only know that beams pierce them.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
It is simply my observation but nothing really says that Lucifer's shields are any special from what your typical fighter uses, with two exceptions. Lucifer's shield seems to be hugging the hull, whereas retail shield meshes were like bubbles around the ships. Second difference is the amount of power directed to shields, Lucifer had what seems like 5 large reactors powering it up. It is unknown if Lucifer had normal reactors like any standard capital ship, but in any case this seems to indicate that Lucifer was able to direct far more power to shields than any other known ship.

Assuming that GTVA could 1) build reactors with sufficient power and 2) project such a huge shield, would they have done so knowing that beams pierce shields anyway? Probably not.

However, the interesting tidbit is that beams piercing shields was apparently according to some FSO coders a bug. For all we know, since :v: didn't bother fixing the bug they just decided to lower AAA beam damage and roll with it. It wouldn't be the first time bugs become features.

And I doubt beams would be only weapons capable of piercing shields. All you'd need is to mimic what causes beams to pierce shields and somehow apply that to other weapons. All it needs is some good old fashioned star trek technobabble.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
The magnetic bottle that shapes and contains the plasma/particle streams (Since Shivan/GTVA beams are not lightspeed, thus therefore are not Lasers), interferes with the energy barrier of the shielding system, thus making the shield essentially opaque at the beam's point of impact, and creating the "Beam's pierce shields" effect we all know and love.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
That's just technobabble bull**** to explain why canonically beams have been able to pierce shields, though it is still canonically limited to only fighters. You can just as well come up with other bull**** to explain why this non-canon plasma cannon pierces shields.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
All it needs is some good old fashioned star trek technobabble.

Time to go matching shield frequencies
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
That's just technobabble bull**** to explain why canonically beams have been able to pierce shields, though it is still canonically limited to only fighters. You can just as well come up with other bull**** to explain why this non-canon plasma cannon pierces shields.

Well, technically, one would've thought it would have suggested railgun rounds or torpedoes that project a similar style of magnetic bottle, but hey-ho.

And, hey, it is technobabble-y bull****, but it's exactly what you asked for. (As in "Star Trek Technobabble")
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
And, hey, it is technobabble-y bull****, but it's exactly what you asked for. (As in "Star Trek Technobabble")
I know, but the way you put it indicated as if it should be taken as a canon fact, which annoyed me a bit.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I know, but the way you put it indicated as if it should be taken as a canon fact, which annoyed me a bit.

Hardly? I just made some **** up in response to your request, and stated it as if it were being made factual. I thought it was very clear it wasn't "canon", but obviously not (Although, the part about the shields being energy barriers was canon, and the fact that beams are not lasers is obvious)

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline -Sara-

I see it like this, don't know if it's valid. Think so though:

The weapons the GTA fired in the first war against the Lucifer were all pulse based. This can be compared to throwing pebbles at a resistant surface of liquid (let's say a jelly or glue) with a target 10 feet deep. The pebbles with your human strenght will not reach the bottom, they penetrate the jelly only so far but the tension at one point keeps the pebble from reaching it's target, besides it starts losing velocity at some point when thrown. And since you are only allowed to use your hands and no tools, you cannot simply shoot the pebbles into the jelly: you have a limit of force you can practise on that surface with your pebble. No matter how many people throw at once.

The beam-weapons the GTVA fired at ships are continuous. This can be compared to holding a stick in your hand and pushing it down at that same resistant surface of liquid or jelly. Since you can keep applying continuous presure on the stick at one end you can push through the jelly at a slow pace, eventually reaching the bottom 10 feet deep. It'll be more difficult as the jelly resists, but eventually you'll win out with enough strenght. Even if one stick won't do, you can use another stick in your second hand, or get 20 people to press with sticks near yours so that the jelly can't resist all that concentrated presure.

So beam weapons, if plenty, would probably penetrate that Lucifer shielding, rendering it obsolete.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think that if beams couldn't damage the Lucifer, Shivans would have sent another one and didn't bothered with beams.
Since they knew that humans could have reverse engineered Lucifer and possibly installed it's shields and beams on their capships (they didn't adapted the capship shields, but it would be safe for Shivans to assume they could), they sent ships equipped to deal with an enemy that has capship shields and beams. Terrans had shown that they could adapt fairly quickly during the Great War (stealing fighter shield technology). Lucifer was, in fact, a very poor design aside from it's shields, it could indeed have been destroyed by an Aeolus or Deimos, since it won't be able to turn fast enough. And Vasudans would most likely want a revange on Shivans for bombing of Vasuda Prime, so a Lucifer-class destroyer would get multiple Hatties attacking it from behind in a relatively short time. This kind of firepower would toast it in no time.

Note that this is not in any way related to BP, just my personal theory on why Shivan ships changed so much from FS1 to FS2.