Author Topic: Diomedes rank structure.  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Diomedes rank structure.
So I know that corvettes are typically commanded by Captains, as are squadrons. So what rank commands the squadron on a Diomedes? What would their titles be, respectively?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Diomedes rank structure.
I'm not entirely sure, but either the squadron commander or the ship's captain might well get a "courtesy promotion" to Commodore, sorta like the Captains of marine detachments to Majors aboard ships to avoid confusion.  However, since it's a little different with respect to strikecraft, the captain of the squadron might be called something else entirely.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
You'd think it'd have to be commodore or higher so that the ship's captain outranks his squadron leaders, although that could be taken as just an accepted convention. But I think we see both lieutenant and commanders in charge of squadrons, so it may not matter too much on that front.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yeah, but at the end of AoA, we hear that once Sam hits Captain, he gets command of his own squadron.  BP canon supercedes old FS semi-canon in that respect.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Lieutenant Loukakis isn't semi canon.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The CAG on a real-life carrier is usually a captain, but does not outrank the ship's captain, because the captain is in command of the ship. (In fact, anyone of any rank who is in command of a ship is traditionally referred to as 'captain' while aboard the ship, iirc).

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

However, BP explicitly says that Captain is the point at which pilots are given squadrons.  Maybe something's changed since the SSI.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

However, BP explicitly says that Captain is the point at which pilots are given squadrons.  Maybe something's changed since the SSI.

Well I don't think that's necessarily true. As a Captain he's definitely going to get his own squadron or ship command, but it could conceivably happen earlier, especially in wartime.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

This...would makes things awkward. In fact it would **** the entire rank system up unimaginably for Squadron Pilots if it were true. I'm fairly, fairly, sure that Lt. Commander/Commander is still the rank pilots should get Squadron Commands at. We've just by chance been presented occasions where said Squadron OC is also a CAG or someone of equivalent position.

To clear up what seems to be a misconception, CAG is is not a just a post that Squadron Commanders hold in addition to their commands as a secondary duty or something. CAG is a post by itself, and with it, the Deputy CAG (who becomes the full CAG later), of whom both are Captains. On a proper destroyer, the CAG would be a Captain who holds the position of CAG, he is not a Squadron Commander too. Being CAG is usually too much work to thrust upon a Squadron commander, especially on a destroyer. On a Frigate, however, with only one Squadron, common sense would tell you that the Squadron Commander/most senior pilot onboard becomes CAG by default.

Might work slightly differently in BP, but that's at least close to how it works IRL.

But seriously, if this were true, this would mess things up very badly for pilots. At the very least, we have to make a few of the other Officer ranks redundant and then add some up at the top to accommodate this.

Yeah, but at the end of AoA, we hear that once Sam hits Captain, he gets command of his own squadron.  BP canon supercedes old FS semi-canon in that respect.
Well remember that it's an expeditionary force, and probably as close as it's going to get to Special Forces within the Fleet without explicitly going SOC. (I'm just doing some speculating here, it could all well be wrong), and as a result, Squadron Commands get bumped up a 1-2 ranks. I dunno, only way I can think of justifying it. Someone else in the know probably has the real reason.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:59:16 am by Dilmah G »

Offline Darius

Yeah, there's a bit of a mixup on my part when doing the debrief for that mission. In BP-verse you don't have to be Captain to lead a squadron.

If you want to incorporate it into the story, you could say the 14th BG was a bit of an elite task force, so it would be made up of more veteran units. It was likely Sam would have been given command of an elite squadron upon his attainment of Captain rank, since he was a previous squadron leader on the Orseis (I think so anyway...I remember writing a bit of fiction somewhere that stated this) of which command he gave up to be on the Orestes.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Well remember that it's an expeditionary force, and probably as close as it's going to get to Special Forces within the Fleet without explicitly going SOC. (I'm just doing some speculating here, it could all well be wrong), and as a result, Squadron Commands get bumped up a 1-2 ranks. I dunno, only way I can think of justifying it. Someone else in the know probably has the real reason.

Not necessarily special forces, more like an elite unit. Like the Parachute Regiment or Royal Marines as opposed to the SAS.

I always thought that in regard to the statement in debriefing of Sam getting his own squadron it was merely a given option, despite the fact it was an option he had before as Commander. Just a bit of wording to contrast the other option given to him: command of his own ship.

Since Squadron leader in FS can be anywhere from Lieutenant Commander to Captain a Diomedes could potentially have two Captain-ranked officers onboard, assuming a Diomdes holds just one squadron. Doesn't seem like a huge problem, the Indus has Sorenson and Simms, though I don't know if the UEF distinguishes between flying ranks and Naval ranks, which the GTVA apparently doesn't.

AFAIK some US carriers have two Captain-ranked officers, one as CO and the other as XO.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Actually aircraft carriers have a whole bunch of Captains on board. Their posts and seniority (which is usually factored into the latter) are what play the part in orders. If the Captain of the ship does you to do something, well then, he's the Captain of the ship regardless of what bloody rank he is. :P But yeah, you have 2 Captains or more for the Air Wing, then you have the two Captains for the CO and XO of the vessel, then you may potentially have more Captains for staff duties aboard.

From my understanding anyway.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Damn, you'dve thought they could get a rating or two to fill those staff jobs!

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, **** the mahogany bomber, man. :P