Author Topic: UEF armor?  (Read 7754 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm not sure the Imperieuse was fully stocked when it reappeared at Saturn. It didn't launch all that many fighters anyway. Just a couple token defense wings.

Mackie is not a token :colbert:

Plus you'll note that the bazillion bombers jumping in are not from the Carthage air wing.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Plus you'll note that the bazillion bombers jumping in are not from the Carthage air wing.
Orite.

Forgot about them. :(

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Yeah, the Yangtze's last moments were sad.

Offline -Norbert-

From a modding pov, adding those subsystems is easy.

But given the way these systems work in BP fluff (as in, they're integrated into the armor at a very basic level), there is no singular subsystem to take out, no single spot you can hit for massive damage.
As I understood it the delivery system for the liquid is integrated into the armor, but the liquid must still be stored somewhere. If it's stored inside the armor itself, it would either take away a lot of protection (were you have a storehouse/tank you can't have a protective armor layer) or it would seriously limit the available storage space for the sealant. Unless the sealant doubles as the liquid to lessen kinetic impacts, but then repairing the hull would reduce the protection, which would be... not very smart.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
From a modding pov, adding those subsystems is easy.

But given the way these systems work in BP fluff (as in, they're integrated into the armor at a very basic level), there is no singular subsystem to take out, no single spot you can hit for massive damage.
As I understood it the delivery system for the liquid is integrated into the armor, but the liquid must still be stored somewhere. If it's stored inside the armor itself, it would either take away a lot of protection (were you have a storehouse/tank you can't have a protective armor layer) or it would seriously limit the available storage space for the sealant. Unless the sealant doubles as the liquid to lessen kinetic impacts, but then repairing the hull would reduce the protection, which would be... not very smart.

depends.  If the foam is pressurised and sandwiched between the armour/structure layers what you would get is a passive system for sealing everything from small cracks to probably a mid sized breach while probably providing some shock dispersion in areas that are not or low damaged.  if you then fit pressurised tanks to the system it would be able to fix multiple breaches. 

Also the armour would be designed with this in mind so either the armour layer would be thicker to give space for the sealant or the ship designers will just accept the reduced penetration protection for the increased capacity of the ship to take damage and remain effective.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Yeah, the Yangtze's last moments were sad.

lol my little brother gave him grief when he saw that the ship left alone