Author Topic: Replace SGreens with ULTRA anti-fighter beams  (Read 21406 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Replace SGreens with ULTRA anti-fighter beams
No worries, discussion is good.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The GTVA, or at least the Tevs, just don't have an advanced enough beam tech to mount meaningful beam weaponry on cruisers. Shivans, on the other hand...

Hence why they should be replaced with ULTRAs. :P
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The GTVA, or at least the Tevs, just don't have an advanced enough beam tech to mount meaningful beam weaponry on cruisers. Shivans, on the other hand...

Hence why they should be replaced with ULTRAs. :P

The ULTRA really cannot be used against players. It basically breaks the game.

Offline Kosh

So useless SGreens it is. :P
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

The Aeolus as a package is a really effective ship in its niche. Ships need interesting weaknesses to make for interesting missions - otherwise we'd all be driving Ares with the maneuverability of a Pegasus.

Offline Kosh

The Aeolus as a package is a really effective ship in its niche. Ships need interesting weaknesses to make for interesting missions - otherwise we'd all be driving Ares with the maneuverability of a Pegasus.

Yes, but wouldn't ULTRAs make it even better in its niche? It doesn't detract from its weak anti warship capability because it removes its anti warship cannons all together.

Brain I/O error

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Go ahead and put some ultras on there, then fly around it for a while (set it to hostile, don't forget to beam-free, play on insane).

Then tell me how that would make for fun gameplay. I'm not ruling out some kind of upgrade to those weapons, but the ultra AAA is a weapon the player can literally do nothing about except stay away from, and unlike the regular AAA it is very hard to stay away from. (It's hitscan, pierces shields, and cannot be dodged, and it does insane DPS at really long ranges).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:06:23 am by General Battuta »

Offline crizza

Wasn't the ULTRA only ingame, because otherwise the corvette in "A Game of TAG" wouldn't stand a chance?
So what?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Wasn't the ULTRA only ingame, because otherwise the corvette in "A Game of TAG" wouldn't stand a chance?
So what?
It was also used on the Colossus in High Noon, I believe.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Since the ULTRA does far more DPS than the SGreen (and therefore presumably transfers more energy), there's a decent argument to be made that the Aeolus's powerplant and/or heatsinks would be unable to support it.

Still, the GTVA would probably be well-served to designate the Aeolus as a dedicated anti-strikecraft ship and replace the SGreen's with another pair of AAAf/h's. That would give it pretty much the same anti-fighter armament as the Deimos, minus half the hitpoints and the much-maligned-but-better-than-SGreens TerSlashes.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I'm sure you would want dual SGreens if you chance upon a Sanctus than two AAAfs, or like that mission where the Akula and Ranvir got blown up.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Uhhh, if they are replacing the SGreens with AAAf's, those AAA-beams are badly placed. And it doesn't make any sense to replace because they can only fire on their directions, unlike the usual turreted ones. Anyway, the cruiser is then unable to defend itself against an UEF cruiser.
In this case, Destiny's right.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Uhhh, if they are replacing the SGreens with AAAf's, those AAA-beams are badly placed. And it doesn't make any sense to replace because the they can only fire in their directions, unlike the usual turreted ones.

I thought those turrets had at least decent fields of fire, am I wrong? (i could be wrong)

• Buntu!
Uhhh, if they are replacing the SGreens with AAAf's, those AAA-beams are badly placed. And it doesn't make any sense to replace because the they can only fire in their directions, unlike the usual turreted ones.

I thought those turrets had at least decent fields of fire, am I wrong? (i could be wrong)
I've never seen an Aeolus firing the SGreens backwards, downwards, port or starboard. They are firing  to the direction the Aeolus is facing.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I've never seen an Aeolus firing the SGreens backwards, downwards, port or starboard. They are firing  to the direction the Aeolus is facing.

I'm pretty sure they can fire significantly off axis.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I'm pretty sure having seen SGreens fire quite upwards in Post Meridian, thanks to me having extensively playtested the coop version.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Or you could put TerPulse on these turrets, making them a verstile and very effective weapon, tought not quite as game breaking as the ULTRA-AAA.

Gotta try that when I get home.

EDIT - yes, I also think the Aeolus has a good vertical up FoF, but I'm not so sure about the sides.

Offline Qent

It's 160 degrees. "check hull" is on in BP.

• Buntu!
I'm pretty sure having seen SGreens fire quite upwards in Post Meridian, thanks to me having extensively playtested the coop version.
Yes, quite upwards, but that's the dead end.

I've tested it, the cannons have a small FOF, they can fire a bit upwards, but they are harmless if you just fly over the cruiser (despite the other turrets), they can't fire backwards. And Ijust sit there with my Ulysses next to one of those cannons.
These turrets are supposed to be forward beam cannons, not AAA beams.

Tadaaa! (no turrets despite the beamcannons replaced by AAA's)

Am I the only one who tested it in FRED?

Why not replacing all Terran Turret's on the Aeolus-cruisers and the Deimos corvettes with STerPulses?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:43:53 am by Deadly in a Shadow »
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"

I'm sure you would want dual SGreens if you chance upon a Sanctus than two AAAfs, or like that mission where the Akula and Ranvir got blown up.

I think you're underestimating just how much the SGreen sucks. It doesn't even do twice the sustained damage of the AAAf, and every capital ship that isn't a Fenris has enough hitpoints that the relatively high volley damage isn't worth much. The Aeolus is an anti-fighter platform with some pathetic anti-cap beams tacked on as an afterthought, and when it does kill a warship, it does it with flak. The Aeolus is amazing in its primary role. If you want a cruiser that can (kind of) take care of itself in all situations, the Hyperion is your best bet.

As for the field of fire issues, yeah, it's not great. However, a direct frontal approach is pretty much the Aeolus's only anti-fighter blindspot right now.