Author Topic: Sanctus Cruiser  (Read 12481 times)

Offline crizza

Shock jumping fire ships for the win.
"Nah, it's only a Fenris" BOOM
This would be funny I guess.

Offline Aesaar

Converting the Fenris into a meson bomb fire ship is one way to make the thing useful again.  Boost its engine power and you're set, just probably not for collapsing nodes.

Worst idea ever.  The Fenris is about as durable as a wet paper bag.  They wouldn't even get remotely close to a target.  The only reason the Bastion did its job was the fact it had 3 Aeolus' as cover and Alpha 1 since their wingmen are about useless.

So use a long range AWACS to get precise jump vectors, and jump the Fenris in right on top of the enemy, like a 200m long SSM.  Or use one as area denial.  Or use on distracted enemy warships.  Seriously, a fire ship this powerful could have many, many uses.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Shock jumping fire ships for the win.
"Nah, it's only a Fenris" BOOM
This would be funny I guess.

where's JAD when you need them  :drevil:
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Oooooh, meson kamikaze fenrii. I'm sold.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Converting the Fenris into a meson bomb fire ship is one way to make the thing useful again.  Boost its engine power and you're set, just probably not for collapsing nodes.

Worst idea ever.  The Fenris is about as durable as a wet paper bag.  They wouldn't even get remotely close to a target.  The only reason the Bastion did its job was the fact it had 3 Aeolus' as cover and Alpha 1 since their wingmen are about useless.

So use a long range AWACS to get precise jump vectors, and jump the Fenris in right on top of the enemy, like a 200m long SSM.  Or use one as area denial.  Or use on distracted enemy warships.  Seriously, a fire ship this powerful could have many, many uses.

considering the 5km fighter-kill radius of the meson's anyhow :p
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Hrmm with that big a radius if you were able to cloak a meson warhead from sensors somehow, like a Pegasus for instance, they'd make for excellent mines. If one went unnoticed anywhere near an enemy formation then you could literally blow every enemy fighter out of the air instantly as soon as they're deployed.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
A big problem with meson bombs is that they take a really long time to blow up and they're very obvious about it. I'm not just talking about the deathroll; it takes a while to go from 'welp, this bomb is turning on' to the moment of 'the firing sequence has now reached the point of no return'.

Offline Luis Dias

A big problem with meson bombs is that they take a really long time to blow up and they're very obvious about it. I'm not just talking about the deathroll; it takes a while to go from 'welp, this bomb is turning on' to the moment of 'the firing sequence has now reached the point of no return'.

If it's sequence is determinable, the usage of a Fenris as a shock jump bomb in-your-face is still feasible. You just count to ten (or twenty or whatever) before making the appropriate subspace jump.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Definitely a good idea, but the GTVA's failure to do so back during A Flaming Sword militates against it.

In general we are going to cherrypick canon information to make meson fireships useful in specific strategies but not a great general-purpose kaboom option.  If the Tevs pull off a meson surprise it'll be because Steele figured out something clever. ;)

Offline Luis Dias

In general we are going to cherrypick canon information to make meson fireships useful in specific strategies but not a great general-purpose kaboom option.  If the Tevs pull off a meson surprise it'll be because Steele figured out something clever. ;)

I like you when you leak like that. Juicy.

Definitely a good idea, but the GTVA's failure to do so back during A Flaming Sword militates against it.

Does this imply that there are ALREADY meson fireships to be used by the GTVA in WiH2?  :D

And ninja'd

In many ways, the Raynor/Titan combo is a refinement of the Hecate/Orion combo of earlier times; while there probably are no new Orions being built, they would only be decommissioned when the replacement has finished its acceptance trials. Also note that decommissioning does not mean "sent to the breakers", mothballing them is a much more likely thing for the GTVA to do (after all, the Orion has some sentimental value attached to it, and unlike the Battleships of WW2, their combat role hasn't disappeared).

Absolutely. Especially with regards to the Titan, I've always had the impression that the next gen destroyers were all about combining the best of the Orion and Hecate designs and taking lessons learned into account. Were it not for the threat of dozens of Sathanas juggernauts overshadowing the threat posed by any other Shivan fleet composition, even the Raynor would be an excellent next-gen line combatant and brawler.

And the Orion class is just...man, I imagine even the Vasudans would have a lot of sentimental attachment to the Orion. Between the Galatea, Bastion (both in Great War and Second Incursion), Nereid, Carthage, and Orions that brought down the Hades, they've helped the Vasudans a lot more than anything the class did during the T-V War. Hell, the Galatea's final mission was a desperate stand against the Eva and Lucifer to buy time for Vasuda Prime's evacuation (and it succeeded in destroying the Eva, to boot); the Bastion protected refugee convoys from Vasuda Prime after it was glassed by the Lucifer, destroyed another Demon, and ultimately saved the Alliance when it brought the Lucifer down. Then it sacrificed itself to seal the nodes from Capella (along with the Nereid). Oh, and the Bastion's pursuit of the Lucifer had a number of Vasudan wings operate from the Bastion as well, which is all kinds of interesting. Makes me wish there were more custcenes with Vasudan and Terran pilots in the same briefing room.

The fact that it still actively serves as a frontline destroyer class (even if heavily modified), at least 66 years after its debut, is just awesome.

Does this imply that there are ALREADY meson fireships to be used by the GTVA in WiH2?  :D

And ninja'd

Sorry, but what exactly is meant by 'meson fireships'? Are we talking about large ships stuffed with Meson warheads for node-sealing purposes, or a ship that utilizes meson bombs (...or just meson beams? Confused...) as a primary armament?

If the former, well, I'd imagine the GTVA would place a heavy premium on that stuff. If the Shivans have potentially endless numbers, the only lasting, effective counter is sealing off nodes that Shivans do (or might) come from. And its probably a tactic that the Shivans wouldn't be driven to 'humanity and zods need to be exterminated' mentalities over (after all, nothing quite says "We really aren't some aggressive, destroying empire" like sealing off nodes to new systems that you might try to conquer).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:14:38 pm by SaltyWaffles »
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Sorry, but what exactly is meant by 'meson fireships'? Are we talking about large ships stuffed with Meson warheads for node-sealing purposes, or a ship that utilizes meson bombs (...or just meson beams? Confused...) as a primary armament?

We dont tend to see them used in modern day warfare but the term fireship was coined to describe ancient through to colonial era wooden ships, usually obsolite or where crews can't be found, which were set on file and rigged to sail into the enemy's formation in an attempt to as a minimum break up their battle line and preferibly set some of their ships on fire.

in the context of a "Meson Fireship" it is a ship loaded up with meson warheads and set to ram a signifficant enemy ship in the hopes that when the fireship detonates it will destroy or cause significan damage.
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Aesaar

Think GTCv Argentus at the end of Derelict.

Offline -Norbert-

Or that one Aten, stuffed with explosives that tried to ram the Galaea, only with the kind of explosives that will instantly vaporize any fighter within 5 kilometers and do significant damage to capships, even if it just explodes close by.

Have the GTVA developed autopilots that can move a ship in a straight line for a few hundred metres since the Argentus or do meson fireships still require the pointless sacrifice of a crew
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm pretty sure the Argentus was uncrewed.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Have the GTVA developed autopilots that can move a ship in a straight line for a few hundred metres since the Argentus or do meson fireships still require the pointless sacrifice of a crew

given the state of remote and computer control today I would say that it should be a relitively simple affair to rig a ship for remote control or to use preset peramiters to guide the ship in though

IIRC there's a transmission from the Argentus saying how they hope their sacrifice was not in vain, which of course it was because they could've achieved a similar result by leaving a brick on the accelerator. The lack of autopilot in the FS universe is so conspicuous it's best just to ignore it (bombers requiring a trained pilot to afterburn towards a target and pull the secondary fire trigger a few times are another instance).
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

IIRC there's a transmission from the Argentus saying how they hope their sacrifice was not in vain, which of course it was because they could've achieved a similar result by leaving a brick on the accelerator. The lack of autopilot in the FS universe is so conspicuous it's best just to ignore it (bombers requiring a trained pilot to afterburn towards a target and pull the secondary fire trigger a few times are another instance).

At least with bombers you have the excuse of susceptibility to electronic warfare. Though I can't remember a case of the Shivans doing anything like electronic warfare, so...?

Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)