Author Topic: Sanctus Cruiser  (Read 12482 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
IIRC there's a transmission from the Argentus saying how they hope their sacrifice was not in vain, which of course it was because they could've achieved a similar result by leaving a brick on the accelerator. The lack of autopilot in the FS universe is so conspicuous it's best just to ignore it (bombers requiring a trained pilot to afterburn towards a target and pull the secondary fire trigger a few times are another instance).

At least with bombers you have the excuse of susceptibility to electronic warfare. Though I can't remember a case of the Shivans doing anything like electronic warfare, so...?

I suppose EW plays a part in the early stages of the Great War, it's just not specifically mentioned, with the Shivan craft being undetectable until crates containing shivan electronics are scanned to get a look at the signature of Shivan systems
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline -Norbert-

Maybe the figures that, if it doesn't work against the Vasudans, it won't work against the technologically superiour Shivans either, so we better put our ressources into other projects.

Or maybe all those ridiculously overpowered weapons (nuclear yield furies for example) are causing so much interference, that they make a proper remote controll on the battlefield impossible.

Though neither possibility would explain why they don't just programm an attack course into a drone. If you leave out any wireless interface and allow the drone only to be programmed by pluggin in a cable, it would make it impossible to be hacked (though it would also prevent emergency shutdown commands to be sent to the dones...).

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Maybe the figures that, if it doesn't work against the Vasudans, it won't work against the technologically superiour Shivans either, so we better put our ressources into other projects.

Or maybe all those ridiculously overpowered weapons (nuclear yield furies for example) are causing so much interference, that they make a proper remote controll on the battlefield impossible.

Though neither possibility would explain why they don't just programm an attack course into a drone. If you leave out any wireless interface and allow the drone only to be programmed by pluggin in a cable, it would make it impossible to be hacked (though it would also prevent emergency shutdown commands to be sent to the dones...).

though there seems to be very little remote comms interference seen in the games so that might not be an issue
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline crizza

If drones are impossible, why the Diomedes as drone controller?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Because Aesaar added drone racks to the Dio doesn't mean the BP team will use it that way.

Doesn't mean they won't, either ! Drones have been confirmed before. The way they'll be used however is still up to debate.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Actually, Battuta (IIRC, it was him) sort of confirmed that, stating that BP will need the drone racks. It was the whole reason they were added in first place, I noticed that the new model is missing it's forward docks, and after I pointed that out, Battuta asked Aesar to add them.

Offline Aesaar

Because Aesaar added drone racks to the Dio doesn't mean the BP team will use it that way.

Oh, ****, yes. Please maintain all the dockpoints from the original Diomedes, those are very important to some capabilities in R2 (external drone racks)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:25:23 pm by Aesaar »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
There will be drone bombers with semi-new ordnance. This solves both a fluff problem for the GTVA (we can't keep sending in all these bombers that just explode and die, also the Cyclops is wooorthless against the UEF) and a gameplay problem (these gunships just tear up everything in front of them, how do we provide enough targets to be fun without making the GTVA look like morons?)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:10:58 pm by General Battuta »

Offline -Norbert-

Advances of controll, communication and/or autopilot technologies in the course of the last 32 years since the 2nd Shivan incursion (the time period I was talking about... which I forgot to mention in my post).

Offline Aesaar

Because BP and Derelict are part of two separate continuities?

Unless Derelict is BP canon, which I doubt.  While we have a few references, like the 212th Silver Scythes, I think the events of Derelict would warrant a big mention in the BP fiction.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
At the mention of drones, will there be obligatory drones swarms to torment us?
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline crizza

Unless Derelict is BP canon, which I doubt.  While we have a few references, like the 212th Silver Scythes, I think the events of Derelict would warrant a big mention in the BP fiction.
Man, this was a simple question, just to point out.
If there are drones in R2(which Batutta confirmed) fine,
if not, I don't give another thought about it, 'cause unlike other people around, I don't question every single bit of this mod.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Questioning every single bit of this mod is actually a good thing, since it provokes interesting discussion. BP universe has been given a lot of thought, much more than most "big budget" universes. This lets the team know that their attention to details paid off.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface

Man, this was a simple question, just to point out.
... and that was a simple answer ?

What are you on about.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline crizza

THx to you Mister Smart ass, there won't be many people who dares to point out anything :rolleyes:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hang on for a second. Crizza, there is no need for you to be all hurt about this. You misunderstood something, or were unaware of something we said publically, and Aesaar corrected you on that. Nowhere in this were you ever actually attacked, or been subject to insult. So please stop acting as if you were insulted.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline crizza

There will be drone bombers with semi-new ordnance. This solves both a fluff problem for the GTVA (we can't keep sending in all these bombers that just explode and die, also the Cyclops is wooorthless against the UEF) and a gameplay problem (these gunships just tear up everything in front of them, how do we provide enough targets to be fun without making the GTVA look like morons?)

That sounded to me, as if there will be drones in R2 and the Diomedes will be act as drone controller.
And I don't feel hurt or something, just annoyed about Maths matter of fact style.