Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.2 + FSPort Media VPs 3.6.12 Discussion!  (Read 42536 times)

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Re: FreeSpace Port 3.2 + FSPort Media VPs 3.6.12 Discussion!
Also why no Vasuda Cutscenein the new FSPort_MediaVPs?

It's there, I promise!

Only part of it is there.  It only has the first few seconds in the ancients 4 movie.  It appears the rest of it was cut off some how.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wha? I'm looking into it now.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I can confirm that all of the Vasuda custscene IS in the mediaVPs. I would recommend that you head over to the support forum to see what's up.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well I know what I'll be downloading at uni tomorrow :p

:lol:
Unfortunately it's not going as well as I hoped - I've had to restart it a few times already. Oh well, at least I'm not wasting my home bandwith (yet).

About the cut-scenes specifically Ancient 4 and Icy Jones's

Spoiler:
First of all great idea putting them together like that.  But, does any one else feel that they should be swapped? I mean Icy Jone's plays first and then Ancient 4?  The asteroids in ancient 4 were suppose to be a double meaning between the fall of the Ancient's Homeworld and Vasuda Prime, at least that is always how I understood it.  So wouldn't it make sense for Vasuda Prime to be destroyed first?  Also Ancient 4 was suppose to mean loss so there is that added effect of repose after the battle that we would be missing out on. At least that's what I would think about it as.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
I can confirm that all of the Vasuda custscene IS in the mediaVPs. I would recommend that you head over to the support forum to see what's up.

The version in the FSPort is not all there.  I redownloaded it and had the same problem.  I downloaded the ancients 4 from the cutscene thread and it is a larger size than the one in the VP file and works correctly.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Wait what? I just played Field of Battle but the Vasudan Ace didn't jump in. :wtf:

Offline Edi

Wait what? I just played Field of Battle but the Vasudan Ace didn't jump in. :wtf:
That happens if you kill too many fighters in the previous missions. If your kill count from the previous mission is more than 5, the ace does not seem to appear.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That happens if you kill too many fighters in the previous missions. If your kill count from the previous mission is more than 5, the ace does not seem to appear.
Whaaaat?! :(

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Um, is the FS1 intro cutscene meant to play when we run FSPort? I just get the FS2 intro. FS2 intro also runs instead of FS1 intro from the tech room. Sadface!
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Um, is the FS1 intro cutscene meant to play when we run FSPort? I just get the FS2 intro. FS2 intro also runs instead of FS1 intro from the tech room. Sadface!
Your commandline may be messed up or you may not have the fsport_mediavps.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Is there anything to do to activate the wireframe rendering in the targeting computer?
I hate those default low res unpostprocessed models.

PS: in FS2 the wireframe mode works just fine, it's in FSport that it refuses to work.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Edi

Whaaaat?! :(
Indeed. I ran into this same behavior way back in 3.6.9 and apparently it's still present. Tested it a few times.

- Killed 7 enemies in the previous mission, ace did not appear.
- Killed 6 enemies in the previous mission, ace did not appear.
- Killed 5 enemies in the previous mission, ace appeared.

They may be something in the code about that, but you would need to ask the people involved in that side about it. I'm just reporting what I've observed.

There's a very easy way to avoid this: Crank the difficulty up to Insane (or just merely Hard) and try getting more than 5 kills in the first mission. You'll be grinding that mission for a loooooooooooooong time.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

The version in the FSPort is not all there.  I redownloaded it and had the same problem.  I downloaded the ancients 4 from the cutscene thread and it is a larger size than the one in the VP file and works correctly.

I downloaded the file and checked it. It is there. I don't know what the problem is on your end, but trust me, it's there.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
- Killed 7 enemies in the previous mission, ace did not appear.
- Killed 6 enemies in the previous mission, ace did not appear.
- Killed 5 enemies in the previous mission, ace appeared.

They may be something in the code about that, but you would need to ask the people involved in that side about it. I'm just reporting what I've observed.
Then your observations are incorrect. :p  Look at the mission file.  The Ace arrival trigger is a function of the difficulty level and the hull integrities of you and the Orff, not of how many enemies you kill.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Problem solved, I can be such a noob sometimes...
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Your commandline may be messed up or you may not have the fsport_mediavps.

Hmmm. My primary mod is fsport, and secondary mods are fsport_mediavps, mediavps_3612, in that order. I don't seem to be missing anything, I downloaded the whole package. Anything else that could have gone wrong?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:51:12 am by CommanderDJ »
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
About the cut-scenes specifically Ancient 4 and Icy Jones's

The Ancients 4 cutscene was followed by the Vasuda Prime command briefing stage, and the cbani that inspired this movie. We follow the same sequence.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

The Ancients 4 cutscene was followed by the Vasuda Prime command briefing stage, and the cbani that inspired this movie. We follow the same sequence.

The command briefing was relaying to the pilots/player events that took place in between missions.  Even if you swapped which movie played first, both would be still taking place in between missions.  So I don't exactly understand your point of continuity.  Continuity wise, I can only imagine there would be more to gain by swapping them.

Offline Kelovar

New interface and briefing icons look very good, however, low-res backgrounds of asteroid fields kills the mood for me. :nervous:
I played with this version for a bit, and the asteroid field shocked me, for lack of better word.  I don't know if I did something wrong or if I was supposed to configure something, but the background for asteroid mission I played is in VERY low resolution compared to pretty much anything else.

I had played the previous version just before this one was released and was about to start STR.  Knowing that the new version of STR is coming soon, I decided to replay the port to see the improvements in the meanwhile.  I played about 5 missions and I love it ^^ (except that asteroid field ^^" ).  New textures are quite impressive.