Author Topic: Carrier model?  (Read 6185 times)

Offline Odyssey

• Stormrider
Talking to DragonClaw on IRC, I was told you guys needed a Vasudan Carrier. In sheer boredom, I made one. Doesn't matter if you don't want it, or would prefer it in another designation, or anything, I don't really care. I can probably texture it if you like it.

443 Polygons.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
...can't...make...out...any...details...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
not bad, but we need older vasudans :)

make it a bit more boxy, and add nifty details :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Make it a lot boxier or give it a weird Typhonlike shape.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Talk to JC Denton. IIRC, he designed most of the ships for Nodewar's FVC based on being fairly Typhon-ish.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It looks approximately like the SF Dragon.

I like the general shape, but it's not FS1-ish Vasudan-ish enough.  Try flattening it a bit, and make it boxier.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
A 'smooth quad divide' would make wonders with it.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

I've always wondered why the didnt have carriers or something like that in games, designed to carry massive ammounts of fighters. I am for putting it in there, and also, it shouldnt look boxy, it should be organic-ish. All their fighters look like creatures in some way, like the Seraphis and Seth, they all look like living fighters, so a carrier is no exception. Good job dood, kept it up.

Offline Odyssey

• Stormrider
Hm. Forgot about this. It was only a 15-min jobbie, basically the result of my experimenting with organic shapes that remain low-polygon-count. If anyone wants the model, tell me the format and I'll upload it, but otherwise I'm quite happy to just let it rest in peace.

I think the model idea is that of a good once, and if we could make it somehow smoother and more organic looking would be really cool for a carrier idea! :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It has to be in the FS1 Vasudan style, which this isn't.  If you want to keep working on it, Odyssey, by all means do so, but otherwise don't worry about it. :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
How do you imagine an FS1-era Vasudan destroyer? There is only the Typhon from which we can set an example. That is not much. Do you have any other big ships modelled for this mod? Only curious, so please do not get your long-range sniper and zoom in at me. ;)

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
...or the Aten. Actually as far as we know even Volition didn't really know what Vasudan is while making the game (the original is full of very bad models - not design, but implementation wise).

The general consensus we have states that pre FS2 things are more bulky and pre Great War things are probably even more unfashioned.
However the basic Vasudan shape is curvic while Terran is boxy.
Vasudan ships are also flatter than Terran.

This is what I could come up with in 5 mins, but I guess our modellers will come up with better results.

There won't be Vasudans in Chapter 1 - but it will be a definite blow. You'll finally have crafts with a real feeling of inertia.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
OK, the Aten. But that is small. I suppose a carrier is supposed to be large so that it could house several wings of fighters.

I have an idea! A carrier with a soft underbelly, and the top is sort of put into a smooth form of a triangle (smooth, which means its not entirely triangle but it comes into the basic shape of one) with the control deck at the front. I think I can get a picture of my idea for you guys to look at. But anyway, it has this triangular shape at the top thats smooth, with a soft and cut-in-half oval shape, and then a control deck at the front. Then, it has fighter bays sort of set into the triangular shape, where its like having cannons only not. Maybe I can get a picture i made. I'll see.

Offline Odyssey

• Stormrider
A soft underbelly? If you tickle it, will it squirm?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Im being sincere. I mean like, the bottom of the carrie would be round and soft, so when you fly up to it it is NOT pixilated, it is clearly round. ;7

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Odyssey
A soft underbelly? If you tickle it, will it squirm?

hehe

Stop being so childish its time to get down with more serious business... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
uhm, 'tis not me who's childish here :p