Author Topic: The show's "expletive" style in Diaspora... what about it?  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The show's "expletive" style in Diaspora... what about it?
We probably all know that the BSG show follows its own sci-fi style with attempts of various success to make the show as much realistic as possible. IMO it was TOO realistic, with a lot of stuff(overuse of expletive terms, not really needed sex scenes, etc. etc.) normal sci-fi fans wouldn't like to see in sci-fi shows without reacting with a " :wtf: ".

What does it have to do with Diaspora? Simple... after reading comments here and there about the show's tendencies and BtRL voice files' content I'd like to know if a serious BSG game like Diaspora should stick with certain aspects of BSG's style or not. IMO, Diaspora players would simply like to fly Raiders, Vipers, Raptors(and, eventually, other craft) in well designed missions and partecipate to the great battles of the show without having to deal with that sort of insane things. I'd leave those things to the show itself, fan fictions and any other activities of the BSG fanbase that don't focus on space combat.

Obviously, banning the word "Frak" and all swearings would be an exaggerated option, especially for a BSG game. My suggestion is, in fact, to balance the number of expletive terms and turn Diaspora into a pure space sim by taking distance from the show's "particular" tendencies.

I'd like to know what the game devs and the other fans think about this subject. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: The show's "expletive" style in Diaspora... what about it?
We'll be using the word just as often as the do in the show. No more, no less.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline SGT_R22eR

• The Nordic Frenchman known as Exakt now
I personnally found that the atmosphere in BtRL was very good, even unprecedented for an "indie game/mod",
even with all the "Frak"s there was.

I do believe that Diaspora will have the same kind of atmosphere, and knowing the complexity that Karajorma
has put into the missions in BtRL, it is to be expected for all of the Diaspora's releases. Including "Frak",
just like the show.
If we're the only people in the universe, it would be an awful waste of space.
A leader is a man who can adapt principles to circumstances.
The most valuable commodity I know of, is information.
Through the perception of illusion, we experience reality.
I run in circles on a daily basis.
There is a fine line between genius and foolishness... I walk on it permanently.
Proudly supporting Diaspora
Now mostly known as Exakt

Enki

What happened to the rest of the thread?  I only see three posts and there used to be enough to go to a second page.  Database burp, or was it significant moderation?

Offline CaptJosh

It would appear that the frivolous posts which did not contribute anything to the topic of the thread were removed due to their uselessness.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Enki

Awful quick to call posts frivolous.  I would have called it a groundswell of disagreement with the OP. 

Stealthy moderation is what I would have expected on another forum, not one of a project trying to be upfront.  And if it wasn't this project team that moderated it I would have deeper reservations of the overall hosts.  All quite hypothetical of course. But begging a, ..., "database fix".

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I moderated the posts, and I'm not on the Diaspora staff.  I did so because the first post asks a legitimate question, and it deserved a legitimate answer, which karajorma gave.  And then it got drowned out by a bunch of spammers making fun of the question, which is not cool.

So, back on topic plz.

Offline Snagger

I think BTRL's voice actors did a pretty good job overall, but the script needed a lot of toning down - it was almost a caricature of the show.  The actors will also need to consider the characters attributes better before recording - there was too much whinyness and indecisiveness, which are not typical characteristics of fighter pilots, especially CAGs or Sqn Ldrs.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I think BTRL's voice actors did a pretty good job overall, but the script needed a lot of toning down - it was almost a caricature of the show.  The actors will also need to consider the characters attributes better before recording - there was too much whinyness and indecisiveness, which are not typical characteristics of fighter pilots, especially CAGs or Sqn Ldrs.

I felt it ok, you know squad leaders also fear death sometimes.

Just yesterday I was trying to play the demo again to see if it was that difficult to land a hit, but I stopped because the audio player got screwed up (we're having low voltage over here because of the recent demand of power...it's a hot summer) and stopped because it was awful to play without the VA.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
I felt they said Frak a bit too much. Not overly much, just enough for it to start to wear thin after a while and they had only one voice I cringe at when listening too, the man that replaces a fallen viper pilot after demo mission 3 (if you play the game you know what I'm talking about)

All in all, a very very good job and I have great confidence that Diaspora can better it as well.
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I moderated the posts, and I'm not on the Diaspora staff.  I did so because the first post asks a legitimate question, and it deserved a legitimate answer, which karajorma gave.  And then it got drowned out by a bunch of spammers making fun of the question, which is not cool.

So, back on topic plz.

Thanks, Goober. This is my second post on this thread, I felt a bit disencouraged when the topic derailed in such a pathetic way. The subject I talked about deserved, IMO, a different reaction.

As someone said, the use of certain terms seemed a bit exaggerated in BtRL. IMO there was something unrealistic in the whole approach to the life of Viper pilots and their combat experiences. They're members of the military and  behave accordingly when they need to. I don't recall any exaggerately expletive chats during flights but yeah, there were many in other environments.

My to the new team is: since the first release of Diaspora will feature the story of the Battlestar Theseus, which is never seen in the show, are you considering the possibility of adapting the show's expletive style?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
My to the new team is: since the first release of Diaspora will feature the story of the Battlestar Theseus, which is never seen in the show, are you considering the possibility of adapting the show's expletive style?

To the best of my knowledge Diaspora intends to remain faithful to the show as much as possible.  Major exceptions to this rule include areas where game play is negatively impacted, no HUDs for example, or is beyond the abilities of the platform.  Since colorful language is part and parcel part of New BSG and doesn't effect your ability to shoot down Raiders it will be included.  I doubt we will go overboard with the expletives, cursing is an art after all, but we won't be deviating from the show because of people's tender sensibilities.  The "Think of the Children" line was pretty much thrown out the window when a leggy blonde snapped the children's neck in a stroller.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:14:11 pm by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Ramjet

Hi all... My first post on Diaspora forums... only just found out BtRL split and, well..... from what I've seen here... Definately for the best! Personally I prefer the smiley happy and some would say 'loving' feel of Diaspora's leadership over the BtRL's... but thats another topic.

Expletive language... I had to post on this one. We all like the made up sci-fi swear words.... it's like calling your mum a coont, then she asks what a coont is... and we all laugh because we made her say c*nt..... I'm 31 and trust me it never gets old!

But with that being said, the Frak-frak-frankingly-frakles! that was scripted in the BtRL demo was just painful to listen too! The Voice acting was brilliant, kudos to the people who voiced it. But seriously, it was so in your face with sometimes the word frak being used 3 or more times in a single sentence! It just looses it's impact as being a swear word to portray urgency in a firefight. And merely becomes "potty-mouth".

There was no way could the BtRL demo be played within earshot of a fraking kid.... errr I mean child... I would sincerely like to see a massive toning down of language in Diaspora. I know it's not really a swear word, but then again neither was any word untill someone found it offensive. Everyone knows what it means, overuse will ruin the reason why it was invented and turn an excellent voice script into something you wish you could just mute!

But thats my opinion.... now where did I put that beer?

Good hunting...

Ramjet

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Welcome Aboard

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
As someone who's never seen the actual series (don't hurt me! :nervous:), I felt like the dialogue in BtRL was rather absurd from a writing standpoint.  I understand that that term is a curse word within that universe, and maybe the show really does use it almost that much (which I'd find intensely annoying), but no one in real life uses any sort of curse with that alarming frequency, especially not in semi-casual conversation.

Offline Ramjet

Funny thing is that the show doesn't use it that often. Only in heated conversation or combat (or in 90% of anything Cnl Tigh says) etc... but rarely in as you say, casual conversation.

BtRL just overcooked the pot thinking thats an iconic phrase from the show and went nuts with it. Hopefully here it can be shown that excessive swearing, fake or otherwise rarely enhances a script but usually degrades and distracts from what is simply a stunning project, with epic effort and talent Diaspora can redefine the space combat game benchmark.

Ramjet.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
but no one in real life uses any sort of curse with that alarming frequency, especially not in semi-casual conversation.

I do.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I can't speculate on how Beyond the Red Line will proceed with their dialog choices, as Karajorma and myself have mentioned we are going to try to capture the look and feel of RDM's creation as much as possible.  We won't deviate from the tone of the show, it is after all a mature program for a mature audience, but neither do I expect we will be using frak 164 times in single mission.

In addition the bonus of the episodic release is that we can integrate feedback as we go along :D

Offline Ramjet

Word to that yo!  :pimp:

.... I'm trying to bring back jive speak.... who's up for it?

Offline Vip

but no one in real life uses any sort of curse with that alarming frequency, especially not in semi-casual conversation.

I do.

You're not the only one Black Wolf. Hell, I thought that the BtRL cursing was a bit weak and frak wasn't used often enough in comparison to my speech, and all people think I'm cultural and don't swear a lot :P

Nobody curses that often ? You people seriously need to either start driving or listen to teenagers. Or perhaps it's only me living in such a fraked country...
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred