Author Topic: Particle trail script  (Read 54792 times)

Offline m!m

Re: Particle trail script
I took a look at the code and I think that I might be wrong as is seems to be possible to influence the lifetime of a particle after it has been created which would make it possible to randomize that. I'm currently testing this idea.

EDIT: First post has been updated with a new link. Now you have a new value called "+FPS" to (obviously) change the FPS of the particle effect.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:34:28 am by m!m »

Hi, this looks awesome! i'll play with that with pleasure!
The script link seem dead however :'(
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline m!m

Fixed :nervous:

thanks !
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I know someone MANY YEARS ago :nervous: recreated the capital flak weapons from Starlancer for FS2 Retail.

But this just cries out to me for it to be recreated. That with a weapon FWOOOM flyby sound and aa mssive Crsyis style blue KASHPLOW! fling blue flamey jetsom all over the shop.  It just makes me go all

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I'd have to see that.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
particles.lua has a null pointer error on line 378 where it attempts to call createEmitter with a null value. This causes a crash but if I select "no" to go on anyway, I can see the "capflash" particles with, understandably, no particlesmoke01 trails. You most make an update

edit also they all appear to move at 75 m/s even though I have +Speed: 75, 250

Offline m!m

Thanks for the report, already fixed it but no new upload yet as I have to test the raycasting that I got implemented :p

Offline Nighteyes

Thanks for the report, already fixed it but no new upload yet as I have to test the raycasting that I got implemented :p

regarding raytrace, use it to replace the box emmiter method, but leave the center point emmiter in, as for some ships the raytracing method would look strange...
Imagine a basestar shaped ship, it needs particles emmiting only from the core, and not from the long arms...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I updated my folders with the new files from the scripts and tables and kept the config file the same as the one I had before (just added +fps to two entries)
aaand then I got this

Ginormous explosions somewhere in the back where no ships actually are, needless to say this pretty much grinds the game down to a complete halt  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline m!m

Are you sure that you used the custom build I posted? Because that is exactly the "bug" it fixes :p

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Nightly builds revision 7224 or higher will have the particle code changes necessary.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline m!m

Thank you! New version that has ray casting in it has been uploaded!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Buh, well I dunno. I'd test it but the latest nightly that is currently out is 7223...
Urutorahappī!!

Offline m!m

New version with some fixes and additions.
Changelog:
  • Added "+Delay" to type "ParticleTrail"
  • Added "+Time" to type "ParticleTrail"
  • Added "+Name" to type "Ship" and "Weapon"
Documentation has been updated to reflect these changes.

Current development focus:
  • FRED interface

Link in first post has been updated.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Works fine with 7226

Though I take it you changed a few things around cause I had to dramatically up the +numbers: and +time: numbers
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Well I definitely love this script, it really makes explosions that much more awesome. Using 7226 though it seems like there are some things that don't work as intended.

+Speed and +Size both can take two integers, a Max and a Min value, and as I understand it the actual speed or size is supposed to be randomized for each particle-trail-emitter thingy. It's not; as far as I can tell only the minimum value is ever used.

Also, weapon creation... doesn't really work. I tried to have a simple near-invisible corkscrew weapon with a large trail attached, and so much stuff went wrong that I can barely describe it. Now that I scaled the particles down to a reasonable size, they're emitting downwards at a ridiculous velocity (I never specify any of the velocity or spewcone fields) on the first cruiser's explosion and dying after one frame in the second cruiser's explosion.

[EDIT] It seems weapon generation is screwed up for corkscrew or swarm weapons, and those are really one of only two reasons to emit weapons in the first place.

Also, these particles being rendered next to flaming debris shows that these are much denser than flaming debris trails. A way to customize particle density in emitters would be nice.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:31:12 pm by Shivan Hunter »

Offline m!m

Works fine with 7226

Though I take it you changed a few things around cause I had to dramatically up the +numbers: and +time: numbers
Damn, I knew that I forgot something. I changed the +Number handling to emit the specified number per second. Before it was dependent on the frame rate which may not be intended.

Well I definitely love this script, it really makes explosions that much more awesome. Using 7226 though it seems like there are some things that don't work as intended.

+Speed and +Size both can take two integers, a Max and a Min value, and as I understand it the actual speed or size is supposed to be randomized for each particle-trail-emitter thingy. It's not; as far as I can tell only the minimum value is ever used.
I'll look into this as soon as possible.

Also, weapon creation... doesn't really work. I tried to have a simple near-invisible corkscrew weapon with a large trail attached, and so much stuff went wrong that I can barely describe it. Now that I scaled the particles down to a reasonable size, they're emitting downwards at a ridiculous velocity (I never specify any of the velocity or spewcone fields) on the first cruiser's explosion and dying after one frame in the second cruiser's explosion.

[EDIT] It seems weapon generation is screwed up for corkscrew or swarm weapons, and those are really one of only two reasons to emit weapons in the first place.
I never really tested the weapon creation. Can you post an example with configuration file and the needed weapons table? This will help me to track down this bug.

Also, these particles being rendered next to flaming debris shows that these are much denser than flaming debris trails. A way to customize particle density in emitters would be nice.
I think that shouldn't be too complicated.

Hi,
i download the script and put it in the Freespace2 Folder and i use Nightly r7226 but i still don't have any particle effect, did i miss some settings in the launcher?

Offline m!m

This script requires a configuration file to create particles and the download only has a test configuration that will create particles when an Orion dies. I included a documentation that lists all possible values so you could try and create your own configuration :nod: