Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134840 times)

Offline starlord

If done well, mildly annoying. Maybe a tinge of irritation.

They will swab in both your nasal cavities. Said samples will be used for PCR tests.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Only saw a few nose-out mask wearers (fools!)

Unfortunately, I'm doing that a lot. Why? Simple. When physically active (for example, at work but not only there) I tend to breathe a lot. Yes, I know that is a fantastic revelation. And I also tend to overheat a lot. Mix in the breathing obstruction and I have the choice between keeping my nose out of the mask, effectively slowly suffocating myself or using my hands to pull the mask away from my face once in a while to grab some cool and fresh air. So yeah, I think I'm doing the right thing here (especially that I try to cover my whole face whenever possible).

Poland is going strong, just shy of 20k new cases today. Schools were a mistake. And now we also have mass protests because why not.

Strygon, I didn't get any but a friend who had his kid tested back some time ago mentioned that our local Polish healthcare personel is talented enough to actually draw blood, because being gentle with a patient (and a kid nonetheless) is so lame.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

I’m sure I posted this already but I think it behooves me to repeat it: not covering your nose while wearing a face mask is like wearing a Speedo with your “hammer” hanging out.  :ick: :wtf: :ick:

I’ve seen that at the supermarket more times than I can count and it’s annoying every single time. Whenever that happens, I either ask them to adjust their mask or just visibly move away from them. The nose can expel water particulates that contains the coronavirus just as the mouth can. I sympathize with MitoPL not being able to breathe with his mask properly on (I’ve had my own breathed moisture inside my mask backflow into my throat and make me cough more than once) but since suffocation and leaving your nose exposed is too dangerous to other people, then MitoPL’s method of periodically pulling away the lower flap of his mask while not exposing his mouth is really the only option.

Hell, whenever I need a drink of water at work, I’ll make sure to have a long straw in my cup so that I can drink with the straw between my mask and my face and never have to expose my mouth. It’s a damn sight better than trying to drink with my mask down.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Unfortunately, I'm doing that a lot. Why? Simple. When physically active (for example, at work but not only there) I tend to breathe a lot. Yes, I know that is a fantastic revelation. And I also tend to overheat a lot. Mix in the breathing obstruction and I have the choice between keeping my nose out of the mask, effectively slowly suffocating myself or using my hands to pull the mask away from my face once in a while to grab some cool and fresh air. So yeah, I think I'm doing the right thing here (especially that I try to cover my whole face whenever possible).

I literally have to use an inhaler and never felt the need to do this. What kind of masks are you using?

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Hell, whenever I need a drink of water at work, I’ll make sure to have a long straw in my cup so that I can drink with the straw between my mask and my face and never have to expose my mouth. It’s a damn sight better than trying to drink with my mask down.
You just reminded me of this gem.
(please don't do this people)

Offline Lorric

I thought it was going to be a case of forgetting they had them on, or constantly pulling them up and down to eat. Nah, just cut holes in the things! :rolleyes:

Offline starlord

France is again in lockdown as of today, and we have lots of protesting in Paris against those measures (which I wish to point out could have been untitled avoided had people remained cautious during last summer instead of throwing common sense to the winds). I’ve run out of ways to qualify these people and their conduct.

2020 is overstaying its welcome.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

I thought it was going to be a case of forgetting they had them on, or constantly pulling them up and down to eat. Nah, just cut holes in the things! :rolleyes:
It’s like being on safari and seeing the animals in their natural habitat!

Truly, being in that restaurant watching those two morons in the flesh is way more exciting and fun than seeing lions ****! More dangerous, too!

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Did anyone get one of those weird nasal tests, and if so, how horrible was it?
Got one done a few months ago. Honestly, not that bad dawg. The actual "is that the back of my throat?!" part lasted milliseconds. Definitely nothing to go out of your way to avoid.

The active case count has entered double digits at work.  Management is sufficiently worried about community spread to hose the restrooms down with bleach, but not sufficiently worried to consider another shutdown.

What's a few human lives in service of the profit margins?

The active case count has entered double digits at work.  Management is sufficiently worried about community spread to hose the restrooms down with bleach, but not sufficiently worried to consider another shutdown.

Surely it's more profitable to have an office full of sick people or paying weeks-worth of sick time than to let people work from home or something? /s

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Air-travel dangers, and particularly not wanting to carry it back to higher risk relatives I unavoidably interact with regularly, have now made me miss the wedding of one of my closest friends who I've known more than half my life.

This year blows.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Surely it's more profitable to have an office full of sick people or paying weeks-worth of sick time than to let people work from home or something? /s

It's a factory, so working from home isn't an option.  But, it's not like we're packaging food or making medical supplies; we make body parts for SUVs.  Shutting down wouldn't exactly cause society to come crashing down.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
That cartoon is so on point it physically hurts.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
I started to rewatch deep space nine as a comfortable escape, and one of the first episodes is about a deadly unknown virus spreading through the station, in which quark says in so many words that his bar is providing an 'essential service' so he won't close it down, and a freighter captain tries to break quarantine to avoid catching it and hit his deadlines.

So that was a fun, entirely fantastical escape from the stress of the modern world.
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I started to rewatch deep space nine as a comfortable escape, and one of the first episodes is about a deadly unknown virus spreading through the station, in which quark says in so many words that his bar is providing an 'essential service' so he won't close it down, and a freighter captain tries to break quarantine to avoid catching it and hit his deadlines.

So that was a fun, entirely fantastical escape from the stress of the modern world.

That must have been from one of the first three seasons of DS9, because I have Seasons 4-7 and I don’t know that episode.

Was that the “Babel” episode where a virus made people speak gibberish so they couldn’t understand each other? I haven’t seen that episode since it first aired.

The Order of the Stick

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
That's the one, season 1 episode 4.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife