Author Topic: Wing Commander Saga on PCGamer Podcast.  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Wing Commander Saga on PCGamer Podcast.
http://www.pcgamerpodcast.com/

Listen to the newest podcast for PCGamer magazine (Episode 65), about halfway through they talk about Wing Commander Saga for SCP.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Wing Commander Saga on PCGamer Podcast.
They call it an average game/mod, too. :(
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

SACRILEGE! BURN THEM ALL!  :mad2: :mad: :hopping:
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Well, it is the PCG podcast.. Seriously, they got their heads so far up their asses (with the exception of Gaz and Jerey) in regards to gaming, their opinions are almost worthless. If you want a good PC gaming podcast that dosen't suck the cock of the PC like the PCG guys do, do yourself a favor and go listen to the GFW podcast
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

I think they were actually pretty fair. The models in WCS aren't of the quality of a modern commercial game. It's not bad for them to say so. The Saga team were obviously more interested in making ships that reminded them of the original than delaying the mod in order to make HTL versions of everything.

The result is that the game has a retro feel which isn't necessarily bad.

BTW they mention WCS at around the 22 minute mark.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 01:50:36 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I don't recall the saga team mentioning that they had any plans to upgrade the textures either.

Hmm, does this open the door to the WCS Upgrade Project?

Offline Rictor

Well, it is the PCG podcast.. Seriously, they got their heads so far up their asses (with the exception of Gaz and Jerey) in regards to gaming, their opinions are almost worthless. If you want a good PC gaming podcast that dosen't suck the cock of the PC like the PCG guys do, do yourself a favor and go listen to the GFW podcast
Who pissed in your cheerios? Are they involved in like human sacrifices or something that I'm not aware of? It's a nice podcast, I listen to it every week.

...or has Bill Gates paid you to pimp the GFA podcast? Huh, is that it? Is it? Aha, I knew it! We've got another corporate shill, quick admins, ban him!

lol

The PC Gamer cast is not that good. I'm sorry... Their boring, uncharismatic, and a very run-of-the-mill podcast. Now, I listen to them every week as well, if only to get their take on the weeks news, and to hear Gaz take them to task on their utter ignorance about other realms of gaming. Again, the GFW podcast is worlds better, but if you want the best podcast out there, consoles and PC, go listen to 1 Up Yours.

And, to be perfectly honest, I have always preferred CGW/GFW over PCG anyways. The writing, art direction, staff, and overall professionalism from CGW always attracted me, as opposed to the fanboy-centric views of PC Gamer.
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Seconded. CGW is the way to go for  PC Gaming, even if they do have a bass ackwards review system now.

Offline Rictor

Hmm, I see. I shall form an exploratory commitee to consider these other podcasts, and report their findings at the earliest possible date.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
They didn't really know much about WCS.

Guy one: "So which Wing Commander game is it based on?"

Guy two "Ah... Uhmm... I think..."

@Karajorma

Yeah, the models can't compete with modern games. WCS isn't the most adanced FS2 mod, but it has all the nice Wing Commander features.
I think some of the models are are pretty old already and were made for slower PCs.

But which mod in-progress isn't making the same 'mistake'? ;)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Ermm... the Galactica mod?

...and BWO is trying to fix that mistake... really we are ;)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, as I've said several times before, the HTL Engine may have been a blessing to Modders, but it threw a lot of campaigns into a whirl, WCS, like the B5 Mod have been around for ages, remember that they were at Sectorgame for a good long time before making the move to HLP, so many of these models could be around 4 years old. I Think WCS went for a full experience rather than focussing on 'super shiny ships' etc, so whilst everything is not up to the 'latest' quality, there is a complete experience in there.

Offline Shade

Besides, model detail is one of the secondary factors for how enjoyable a mod is. And I actually kinda like how the models look the way I remember them - Shinier, crisper, but it's still the same ships I know and love. That has its charm :) And if the full mod is still a couple of years away, then bumpmapping can go a long way towards improving percieved model detail without actually changing any models.

Those PCG people had no clue what they were talking about though. They eventually seemed to settle on it being a remake of WC1 through 4 :p They probably just recieved a link to the website and decided to pontificate a bit based on that without actually reading much or trying the prologue.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It sounds like they played it. The only thing I was disappointed in was that rather than reviewing the Saga in detail, they spent about 3 minutes on it and moved to discussing reviving old game franchises. A little more exposure would have been nice, IMO.
Still, it's nice for the community to get some exposure at least :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah, the models can't compete with modern games. WCS isn't the most adanced FS2 mod, but it has all the nice Wing Commander features.
I think some of the models are are pretty old already and were made for slower PCs.

Oh I know that their models are old and that's why they're low poly. I don't particularly care :) Once the game is out they can hi-poly everything if they wish. Better to get the game out first so that people can play it.

Heh, as I've said several times before, the HTL Engine may have been a blessing to Modders, but it threw a lot of campaigns into a whirl, WCS, like the B5 Mod have been around for ages, remember that they were at Sectorgame for a good long time before making the move to HLP, so many of these models could be around 4 years old. I Think WCS went for a full experience rather than focussing on 'super shiny ships' etc, so whilst everything is not up to the 'latest' quality, there is a complete experience in there.

Exactly. When the SCP came along campaigns had to make a choice. Delay release and hi-poly everything, carry on as you were or improve anything new while keeping the old stuff. Very few people chose the 3rd as it would look kinda strange. :)

Well i've tried to poly bumping some of the models, although most you haven't seen and those that you have are limited to the original design.  After the game is released then we can have fun  :lol:

Now my own models, thats a whole nother ballgame, I'm not limited to existing canon, course I have nothing on campaigns or even missions  :P
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Have you got any plans to release your stuff as a WCS mod? Cause I think that might be a pretty good way of handling it. It would greatly reduce your development time and I'm sure there are some fans who would like to use them and haven't spotted your threads in FS modding.

Why would they want to spend more than 3 minutes on it? It's just a 4 mission prologue, after all - a very well executed one I know - but only a representative sample and not the finished product. There's not that much to talk about!

Have you got any plans to release your stuff as a WCS mod? Cause I think that might be a pretty good way of handling it. It would greatly reduce your development time and I'm sure there are some fans who would like to use them and haven't spotted your threads in FS modding.

Already in the works karajorma.  The fighters are done, now I'm just bring the capships up to spec.  There are some major differences though... mostly that I use real size specs and Saga is forced to use WC sized specs (capship scale is different than fighter).
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"