Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 762542 times)

Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
It's a matter of other companies not preparing for Vista. And reinstalling drivers is hardly "reloading a computer every 3 weeks."

Reinstalling drivers?
I wish thats all I had to do, when I had vista on this rig heres the procedures I went through to reload it.

step 1) try to turn on computer, receive operating system not found message
step 12 ) reinstall all software and update drivers

thats what I went through every time I reloaded vista, dievate from any one step and you have to start all over again, all my 3rd party drivers worked fine, its the updated stuff I downloaded from Microsoft that didn't work right such as the M/S mouse certified for vista. The realteck drivers downloaded from M/S site they crashed the system, downloaded from realtek's site they work fine ( go figure)

If anybody is lucky enough to get away with simply reinstalling driver, I envy you. all that and having to log on as administrator every time I wanted to go wipe my butt, drove me to buy the O/S I'm on now, which has had NO problems yet.

The people I know that bought Vista either bought it with their new computer or partitioned Vista and kept XP where it was...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Mine came with the brand new computer I bought. The preinstalled version was worse than the disk version, that one had some PCAngel installed on it that ate every bit of resources I had available, to make a completer backup of the current O/S (just in case) The first complete reload made that and all the McAffee stuff go away.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I hate OEM OS copies, especially those of HP, which I've had the most experience with.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Preinstalled OEM's almost always come with all kinds of junk programs that people either don't want or don't need, and spends hours getting rid of, just like the copy of XP I bought has the online services folder, just from this post alone it should be pretty clear that I don't need the online folder LOL, guess what always gets deleted first?
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Wasn't XP from scratch? I never had problems with XP, and I got it in early 2001.

Nope. Both XP and 2K are based on Windows NT.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Preinstalled OEM's almost always come with all kinds of junk programs that people either don't want or don't need, and spends hours getting rid of, just like the copy of XP I bought has the online services folder, just from this post alone it should be pretty clear that I don't need the online folder LOL, guess what always gets deleted first?

That's why I trashed my OEM copy, and pirated a normal copy. I still payed for it, right?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
IBM seems remarkably good at not screwing up their OEM copies of OSes. Whereas HP and (to some extent) Dell pack all sorts of crap on there.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
IBM is pretty good. How bad is Dell? HP puts all of these bloated Microsoft Update things on there that don't actually do anything. And don't even get me started on Toshiba. On my mom's tablet, when you extend the taskbar, it goes right up to the Start button - on a 15" screen!

Offline Sethur

I seem to be having a problem with the FSO installer. Whenever I try and use it, it complains about being outdated (I'm using the only version I could find, http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.zip) or me not having an internet connection (evidence to the contrary: ...uh, this post). Also, it creates an output file installer_error.log.txt in its directory, with the following contents:
java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 400 for URL: http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/java/version.txt
   at java.lang.Void.<unknown>(Unknown Source)

If I then answer 'Yes' to the question whether I would like it to open the download page for the newest version, it appends the following to the same file:
java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 400 for URL: http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/java/latest.txt

When I manually navigate to these files, I can read them no problem, so I am unsure as to what kind of request the installer makes in order to receive a Bad Request error.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I've never heard of the 400 error code before. What ISP are you using?
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well i think/hope/prey toevery known god in the world that i somehow managed to stabalize Vista si that i can somehow play FS but im not exactly sure. Well before it froze up before i managed to finish a mission now ive played 4 and no error so far! Lets just hoep it holds out! I simply updated vista and the vidcard drivers!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

well i think/hope/prey toevery known god in the world that i somehow managed to stabalize Vista si that i can somehow play FS but im not exactly sure. Well before it froze up before i managed to finish a mission now ive played 4 and no error so far! Lets just hoep it holds out! I simply updated vista and the vidcard drivers!

How does preying a God work anyway? /Sneak /Sneak /Sneak /"I have you-" /Lightning Bolt  XP

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Sethur

I've never heard of the 400 error code before. What ISP are you using?
I'm on a university network, and accessing everything through a proxy. Does the installer attempt to open a connection on any nonstandard ports (http 80, ftp 21)? If so I'd need to get the IP of the server and set up an SSH tunnel for those ports.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
It should only use port 80 (HTTP).

At one point, I tried implementing proxy support into the Installer for someone, but it didn't work for them and they were unwilling to help me debug it. The code's still in there, so if you'd like I can look up the format for using it and get it to you.

Offline Sethur

That would be pretty cool; I'm also studying CS and have some (minimal) experience with Java, so I'd be more than happy to help you debug proxy support. I actually looked through some of the source files myself to determine whether any strange port shenanigans were going on, but eventually laziness prevailed and I decided to just come here and ask instead :blah:

Offline Regeaj

Ok, I got a problem.

I downloaded the installer, installed the newest version. But when I tried to run it, it just said "Freespace2/Fred2 cannot be run form a drive root directory"...Well have absolutly now idea what this means, I loaded the installer in C: , and the actual game went into C: games/...

I inserted this message into the search function, and no results came up, so it might be a new problem.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm.  You didn't load it into "My Documents\Games" or "Desktop\Games", did you?  If so, that is the problem, just move it to \Games\FreeSpace2  If not, then IDK..

EDIT: You ARE using Launcher.exe, right?  FreeSpace2.exe is retail launcher, FS2.exe is retail FreeSpace, fs2_open_3_6_9.exe is SCP FreeSpace, but you must use launcher.exe to launch, don't use any of the others I mentioned.

Offline Regeaj

EDIT: You ARE using Launcher.exe, right?  FreeSpace2.exe is retail launcher, FS2.exe is retail FreeSpace, fs2_open_3_6_9.exe is SCP FreeSpace, but you must use launcher.exe to launch, don't use any of the others I mentioned.

Ah...That could be it...I have no fs2_open_3_6_9.exe, where do I get it? There are just F2.exe,  Freespace2.exe and FRED2.exe in the directory, where does the SCP Launcher appear?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Which Installer did you use?  The one from www.fsoinstaller.com?

Offline Regeaj

Which Installer did you use?  The one from www.fsoinstaller.com?

I used the one from the first post in this thread.