Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 221425 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
Has the multi log file size been fixed?  Just noticed that my standalone had a really high ping.  Checked and the log file was over 12meg.  Soon as I wiped it out the sever ping went back to 26.  I don't remember when I wiped it out last but even so that is quite big. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
Has the multi log file size been fixed?  Just noticed that my standalone had a really high ping.  Checked and the log file was over 12meg.  Soon as I wiped it out the sever ping went back to 26.  I don't remember when I wiped it out last but even so that is quite big. 
There are generic update messages that get sent every few minutes, so if you leave it running for a long time then you will get a pretty large log file before long.  I already have it on my list to tone those down a bit though.  Next time you get a really big file like that send a compressed copy my way and I'll double check that there isn't some new bug that needs to be dealt with.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Will do.  I'll let it run for a week and see how big it gets. 

What would happen if I deleted the multi.log while the server was up?  Thinking of scheduling an event say once a week to wipe it.  Not now of course but when things pick up. 

BTW I'm drinking in the lobby if anyone is up for a game.

Just had an idea/feature request for the multi.log.  What about doing a backup/delete every day at say 5am or something.  Something like FRED does.  A Multi.01 Multi.02 - Multi.09.  Makes a new log every time it's restarted or when the cleanup time hits. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 10:20:58 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
What would happen if I deleted the multi.log while the server was up?  Thinking of scheduling an event say once a week to wipe it.  Not now of course but when things pick up. 
Not sure really.  It will be an open file, so Windows may very well not let you delete/rename it, or even edit it for that matter.

Offline Shade

Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
Indeed it won't, I've tried that a few times by accident.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
My internet connection is all messed up today and I can only get certain IPs to load. The server hosting HLP/GW/FS2Net is one of the broken domains. Hopefully Comcast will have this fixed by the time we play, as it's an area-wide problem, but otherwise I might not be able to come for today's game.

I'm posting this off the apartment's free connection, but this thing is slower than dialup and useless for gaming. :p

[edit] Looks like this is fixed, so I can play today. :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 01:21:52 pm by CP5670 »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
As we discussed during the games last time, it would be a good idea to have a separate thread for all the missions people have posted. They are currently scattered around this thread and not that easy to find, and I'm sure the rest of you are getting as tired of the failed ingame transfers as I am. :p

Also, how many of you have a connection (and a relatively central location) that can host the 8-10 people we generally get these days? I'm going to be quite busy with some real life things over the next few weeks and although I will host as usual next weekend, that will probably be my last game for a while. I was planning to retire from this soon anyway, as I've been playing for nine months now and have pretty much experienced everything it has to offer. I will still drop in every now and then but won't be hosting or playing on a regular basis. At the same time, activity has picked up sharply in the last few months and I wouldn't want that to change just because there is no suitable host anymore.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
512 up, 2000 down. NS, Canada.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Well, are you willing to host 3-4 hour games every weekend? You haven't been around much recently. Shade and a few others are regulars at our game sessions, but I'm not sure what their connections are like.

Offline Shade

Mine's enough for the job, 1mb up/15mb down. On a related note, by the way, I may not make it this evening - I've gone and caught the flu so I'm basically feeling like crap, and I'm not too happy to spend more than half and hour or so out of bed... though admittedly gaming is one of the best things I know for distracting me from feeling sorry for myself, hence the 'may' ;)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
id love to host but my connection is way too low,  and thats not going to change in the near future......
on reading taylors replies to the server /stats problems would we be better of playing 3.6.10 ,as only some ppls stats save on 3.6.9, and officially 3.6.10 should save stats ...... im not sure it does though?
anyway i hope we get to play tonight as ive missed loads of games in the last 2 weeks
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Well, are you willing to host 3-4 hour games every weekend? You haven't been around much recently. Shade and a few others are regulars at our game sessions, but I'm not sure what their connections are like.
That's basically because of a ****load of OS problems, but I fixed them now. FSO is all set up. Which build should I use?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline ShivanSpS

Just i think i have fixed the problems with the older version.

update: bombers delayed a bit more.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 05:48:08 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline jedimasterseth

• ~#fLinT#~
    • MySpace
Dear all, my demonic Windows (hello I'm Bill Gates the conman) OS has decided to crash and have lost all data and installs. Am postin this message from a linux live cd. Wont be able to come on 2nite - am really upset!! Have a good time :)

BTW, can freespace be installed on a Linux OS? Am using SimplyMepis 7.0

Flint

Jedimasterseth a.k.a FLINT

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
We're getting a number of issues in 3.6.9, so I'm switching over to 3.6.10 for now like we decided. Does anyone know if is there a specific build you need to use? I tried the 3/21 build but it fails to connect.

Offline ShivanSpS

the 14xt one works...

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 07:11:32 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Okay, I'll try that one in a minute.

Offline ShivanSpS

BTW, re doanload art of war too, i have slowed the bomber wings, they where way too fast.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I can start a game in it, but it won't let me into the lobby (it gets hung up on "logging into parallax online"). Is it working for you?

[edit] I'm going back to 3.6.9 for now so we don't lose any people. We'll decide what to do there.

Offline ShivanSpS

yeah we are 4 at the lobby right now.

EDIT: well how it dont let me to enter the lobby either.