Author Topic: INFA Eyecandy Thread  (Read 135272 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
*shrug* The words weren't from me, they were from one of the graphic designers here. These guys are pros.

Your call of course. I like the writing.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Tell the pros about that Latin maxim. :p

Glad you liked the text, anyway.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Tell the pros about that Latin maxim. :p

They definitely know better than you, mate, but if you want to keep it ugly you can.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
It's not "ugly", it matches my personal tastes and according to the maxim they're as much as valuable as anyone else's. :rolleyes: Now can we please stop discussing fonts? I believe that pic deserves a completely different kind of discussion.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I must agree that the font makes the picture look...cheap/amateurish/ugly.
Like someone just went into MSPaint and went like "OH I CAN MAEKS GRAPHIC"!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
lol, no great will to be like a graphic artist here. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
Well, is a good thing you are making the mod for yourself, then... cuz if nobody else likes it, nobody will play it. That's why graphic designers learn this stuff, so they can sell the product, you are not selling me the product, you are giving me a sweet 15 invitation, i shall bring pink roses to dear Lucy.
Signed, me

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Adjusting the font shouldn't be that tricky if people dislike it. What's important is that your content is good and makes me interested.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Why do I have the impression that the subject is being discussed on IRC? :rolleyes:

At the beginning, it was meant to show the Lucifer and some text. Then I decided to add something that was relevant to the plot and discussed the addition with starwolf: it was and still is about INF's plot, not graphics. Because, you know, game graphics are hardly related to such pics.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Why do I have the impression that the subject is being discussed on IRC? :rolleyes:

At the beginning, it was meant to show the Lucifer and some text. Then I decided to add something that was relevant to the plot and discussed the addition with starwolf: it was and still is about INF's plot, not graphics. Because, you know, game graphics are hardly related to such pics.

Indeed, as that's a screenshot of a cutscene by MjnMixael, but this discussion is about the presentation of the text overlaid on the image. If you want to bump it up a notch towards pro standards it wouldn't hurt but it's ultimately your call and I imagine interested parties won't care that much.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
If necessary, the pic will be prettified when the time to use it comes.

Well, is a good thing you are making the mod for yourself, then...

That is completely wrong. Who told you that?

Without going too much into the details, I can tell you that there are 5 active team members, 3 of which (me included) are here on HLP. Then we have a number of contributors (5+, don't really remember them all at the moment) working on a few assets, like this. Only one contributor seems interested on playing FreeSpace, the others don't seem to like FreeSpace (despite being awesome at creating things which may be used in the game). Then we have starwolf1991 (I'm grateful to him), Rampage helping when needed, c914 being busy ATM but may wish to work for us soon... and then we have Woomeister, who's not active but I hope he'll be back very soon.

If you consider all these parameters, there's a team and it's active, too. It's just that it doesn't work as other teams do. I've just sent a couple of files, made by two different contributors, to Rodo: he's a diligent team member, and will edit them for in-game use in no time. Just an example of activity that is almost completely unrelated to HLP.

The Inferno Team is not active in the classical way, meaning that 100% of the team is on HLP and posts frequently on the forums, but there are more people doing stuff for INF than you'd think. Just clarifying because we need more people and I don't want potential team members not to consider joining INF because the project "seems dead". :nod:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You should get an SVN. SVN is badass.

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
*snip*

Sorry if this feels a tad bit off-topic, but you don't happen to talk sarcasm, do you? If you pay attention to the rest of the post, you could see that my point is that i don't feel like there's love for the end user, you are basically marketing something for yourself instead for the people out there who will be playing it, but it's ok either way, i guess...

Also, that link might haven't been the best you could have linked as proof of working, there's nothing in there but speculation about what you want those models for! It did more damage than good, seriously XD

Anyway, i'm glad to see that there's still people working on this, but i have lost interest in INF a long time ago and the stuff being posted to make the hype grow really doesn't do it for me, but i'm sure you still have your fans somewhere, keep on pushing!
Signed, me

If necessary, the pic will be prettified when the time to use it comes.

Only one contributor seems interested on playing FreeSpace, the others don't seem to like FreeSpace (despite being awesome at creating things which may be used in the game). [/color]

Only one contributor seems interested in playing? Lol, I play Freespace often. When I'm not developing content, fan-fiction writing or editing missions for mods, I do "properly" play it.   :)

Mura, since when you do you get that hint that Mobius is marketing Inferno: Alliance? Also, Inferno: Alliance has always been, and still is, a team effort; not a solo effort.
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
My point is that playing (or liking) FreeSpace is not a requirement to create stuff that may be used in the game. On a side note, it's funny how that "horrible pic" led to an increase in the number of INFASA's watchers on ModDB. Four more watchers, to be precise. :nervous: :lol:

Well, this is an eyecandy thread and therefore does not show the forte of INFASA: FREDding and plot. The OCP system alone, IMHO, will make the campaign(s) worth playing. I have more screenshots on the way, but Rodo is a bit busy with Uni right now so the creation of new bitmaps has been somehow relented. Progress on the missions has been resumed, however.  ;7

EDIT: Terraformed Mars, but almost certainly not as it will appear in INFASA. These pics will be used in soon-to-come descriptions.

"The centre of the view shows the high cold deserts of Tharsis and it's volcanoes, flanked by the Tharsis Ice Sheet. Olympus Mons and it's ice sheet stands to the top-left, while the Mariner Valley is on the right, in dusk."

"The deserts of Promethei Terra and Tyrrhena Terra, with the island continent of Elysium in the top-right and the Caribbean-sized Hellas Sea in the bottom-left. The large circular gulf above the Hellas is the Isidis Gulf, an arm of the Great Northern Ocean."

"The Great Southern Desert, around the south polar cap, shown in the long southern summer. This area is still very dry and cold, with little life. The blue circle to the right of the picture is Lake Newton, in a large crater."

"The Chryse Gulf, a complex system of channels and lakes and rivers, which joins the Great Northern Ocean (via the Acidalia Sea) to the Mariner Valley, shown on the left of the picture. In the bottom-right is the edge of the Hellas, and the bottom-left shows the still relatively dry Argyre Basin. The top-right shows the vast array of cool swamps and crater-lakes that makes up the Arabia Terra."

Composite pic of the ones seen above.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:48:14 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ooh, really cool. :)

(And after all that kerfuffle about font choices in the last pic, I'm sort of amazed that no one corrected its grammar. :p)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I do think the blue filter got a bit overused. Makes the planet look all washed out and ugly.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I do think the blue filter got a bit overused. Makes the planet look all washed out and ugly.

It's Mars. Ugly is sort of standard with the package.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline mr.WHO

One thing bothers me.......no clouds? even close to sea/ocean zones?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
They will be more clear at later stages of terraforming. These pics are not meant for in-game use. ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon