Author Topic: Freespace vs Starwars  (Read 16006 times)

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
Is there a place to get all SW's ships and weapons ready for FS2?
I'll try MetelDestroyer for that SDestroyer.
It'll be interesting to test out all this.
His legacy will last until the beginning.

It would certainly suck if Coruscant didn't have shields. Luckily, it does.
Those shields sure were effective at keeping the Separatists droid reinforcements off planet (the first wave would have gotten in before they raise the shields I grant).  Oh wait they weren't.

Now I know about Ray Shields (the part where Obi-wan and Anakin get trapped by the barrier on the flagship during the Palpatine rescue was a ray shield despite it definitely being able to fry them if they touched it) and Particle Shields, but you'd think that they'd probably raise the particle shields too.  Likely there were factors preventing the raising since Coruscant was an enormous metropolis with a huge number of private flying vessels.

Incidentally, the flagship, when it was crashing into the surface, was already in the atmosphere before they notified the Republic forces that the Jedi had taken it over (in the ROTS novelization).  If there had been a shield up, they've have been fried.

Then there's the parts where there's two destroyers broadsiding each other in ROTS (ignoring how Ackbar claimed that has never happened before).  The shields were down and the shots strike right into the ship.  The explosion wasn't even the size of a modern day MOAB, much less multi-gigatons.  For some reason the explosions were much smaller whenever there were bodies around to be thrown around XD
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:45:33 pm by ChronoReverse »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Blowing huge towers is superficial damage to you? Heck if a dozen X-wings can damage a Death Star and blow off it's turret,s think what they would do a far smaller and less armored target, like a Star Deystroyer. Their amor sucks big time.

You keep forgetting the DS and DSII were huge.  The DS's shields were high enough from the DS that once you got through it, you were flying under the shields... however, it appears the DS I didn't have particle shields for the entire surface, only ray shields, if even that.  Instead, they protected certain areas with shields, relying on their ZOMGWTFBBQ turbolasers that were too ponderous to get a bead on the Rebel's light fighters.

Strike mission of Pegasus fighters armed with dumbfire rockets to take down the SD's shield generators before the battle, anyone?
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Blowing huge towers is superficial damage to you? Heck if a dozen X-wings can damage a Death Star and blow off it's turret,s think what they would do a far smaller and less armored target, like a Star Deystroyer. Their amor sucks big time.

You keep forgetting the DS and DSII were huge.  The DS's shields were high enough from the DS that once you got through it, you were flying under the shields... however, it appears the DS I didn't have particle shields for the entire surface, only ray shields, if even that.  Instead, they protected certain areas with shields, relying on their ZOMGWTFBBQ turbolasers that were too ponderous to get a bead on the Rebel's light fighters.

Armor..I'm talking about armor.  X-wings lasers can blast holes on the Death Starssurface. That doesn't bode well for the "uber armor on Imperial ships" theory.

DS shields? Appareanlty the X-wings can fly right trough them. IF it even had shields.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

The Death Star doesn't have shields. In a New Hope, it was completely shield-free and the DS-II in ROTJ was protected by shields projected from Endor.  If you watch the movie, the shields aren't down yet so Lando has all the fighters pull up.  That being said, the Rebels would never have been able to destroy the Death Star by just shooting at its surface, even with cap ships.  The thing was just too massive.  I think that the Imperials assumed that the Death Star would jump into a system, set up, and blow up the planet in about 45 minutes or so, then jump back out to safety.  Thats all speculation on my part though.

I seem to recall something being said that the vent was too heavily shields for lasers to work hence the attack run but I could just be recalling false lines.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
No, the vent was ray shielded.  I do remember that.  The Imps didn't think that anyone could manage to get a fighter into the trench and set up a perfect torp shot.

And they were right, it took the Force to get the torpedo in right.

As for the shielding, I'm glad I remembered correctly.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
OH yea (let me get this in) if the empire attacks the GTVA the GTVA might team up with the rebels. :drevil:
I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier: The Empire's advanced technology and superior numbers count for exactly nothing if the Rebels are involved.

WHY?

Wedge Antilles + Alpha 1 = [/Empire] :cool:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

QFT!
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

OH yea (let me get this in) if the empire attacks the GTVA the GTVA might team up with the rebels. :drevil:
I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier: The Empire's advanced technology and superior numbers count for exactly nothing if the Rebels are involved.

WHY?

Good Lord, that is one unstoppable combination.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Exactly. If the rebels are involved then the whole debate pretty much goes out the window.

Hard Light Productions:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Who needs rebels.

Alpha 1 is da man.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Yes, but he's only one man (or woman for that .1% of the HLP population). Sometimes Alpha 1 needs someone to cover his back, and that would be Wedge. Better yet, take Rogue Squadron from the post-ROTJ days and replace two of the throwaway pilots with Alpha 1 and Snipes. Unstoppable^2. The Shivans would be eliminated within a month. A week if we throw in the Wraiths. :D

Hard Light Productions:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Why not just throw in the bunch of Sathanes?

I'd say the ultimate "Rogue Squadron" from the FreeSpace/Star Wars Universe would be Wedge, Alpha 1, Snipes, Luke Skywalker, Corran Horn, Gavin Darklighter, Mackie, Wes Janson, Derek "Hobbie" Klivan, Tycho Celchu, Myn Donos, and Pash Cracken
Rogue Leader (1): Wedge
Rogue 2: Tycho
Rogue 3: Hobbie
Rogue 4: Wes
Rogue 5: Alpha 1
Rogue 6: Snipes
Rogue 7: Mackie
Rogue 8: Myn
Rogue 9: Luke
Rogue 10: Gavin
Rogue 11: Corran
Rogue 12: Pash
Rogues 1, 5, and 9 are hard to pick because those are the Flight leaders, and you have to have Wedge be Rogue Leader just because he was for so long.  I thought about making Corran 9 because he always was, but Luke needs to be at least a Flight Leader.  Feel free to debate about my pilot choices...

EDIT:  and Wraith Squadron has to be kept the same just because of their Commando abilities, plus the fact that they're just crazy as hell.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Holy crap.  This thread is about 30 posts overdue for a lockdown smackdown.

In the interests of not throwing out the baby with the bathwater, I've attempted to prune out the inflammatory posts.

Umm....   Glad I missed it.  Guys, it's just fiction and games!!  Jeez!  o.O

I Agree, I missed most of these "inflammatory" posts, but if I had known things would be taken that seriously I might have reconsidered posting. :nervous:
OH yea (let me get this in) if the empire attacks the GTVA the GTVA might team up with the rebels.

This crossed my mind, but I was leaving things open for discussion. (AKA let the readers figure it out :P)
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I'd say the ultimate "Rogue Squadron" from the FreeSpace/Star Wars Universe would be Wedge, Alpha 1, Snipes, Luke Skywalker, Corran Horn, Gavin Darklighter, Mackie, Wes Janson, Derek "Hobbie" Klivan, Tycho Celchu, Myn Donos, and Pash Cracken
Rogue Leader (1): Wedge
Rogue 2: Tycho
Rogue 3: Hobbie
Rogue 4: Wes
Rogue 5: Alpha 1
Rogue 6: Snipes
Rogue 7: Mackie
Rogue 8: Syal
Rogue 9: Corran
Rogue 10: Ooryl
Rogue 11: Gavin
Rogue 12: Myn
Let's see...
One Flight is perfect. Lose Luke because we don't need no stinking Jedi pilots; we can get by on skill and moxy alone.
That said, Corran will have to be pre-Jedi Corran, that is the "Sorry, Luke, I'm too cool for Jedi training now. Maybe later when I'm bored and want to singlehandedly take the most dangerous space pirates ever" Corran. Oh and he'll have to be Rogue 9 because he's Rogue 9. Which means Ooryl will have to be Rogue 10 by the same rationale.
Did Myn end up with the Rogues when all was said and done? If so keep him, otherwise he should stay with the Wraiths. nm looked on wookiepedia.
Keep Gavin, lose Pash. He's not that special.
That leaves one or two spaces depending on Myn space...
Let's pull a timewarp and throw in Syal Antilles. She was a sufficiently awesome pilot in Betrayal.

Hard Light Productions:

Pash is better in A-Wings anyways.  Okay, Corran and Ooryl have to be together just like Wedge and Tycho.  We can throw Luke out if you want, I guess.  Myn Transferred to the Rogues at the end of the last Wraith Squadron book.  So the one open spot:  I'd see three options:  Syal, Bror Jace, or what about Soontir Fel? He was with Rogue Squadron for a while before defecting to the Imperials and ending up with the Hand of Thrawn, who aren't exactly enemies of the New Republic.