Author Topic: ut2004  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Roanoke

Do people here still play ? Or is it teh dead ?

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
I prefer tribes. Faster paced, even if the graphics are below par.
Edit: But the problem is, no one is ever on :\

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I don't know if anyone on this forum ever played it much. It's still the most popular UT game though. UT99 is still played as well but largely only with TCs, and practically nobody plays (or ever played) stock UT3 online.

Offline Roanoke

I notice UT3 only appeared to get a luke warm reception the offical UT2003/04 site....

Offline GenericCorvette

• Lolikyon~!
I only play Ballistic Weapons with a friend every now and then.

He complains that I won't stop being a moron with the HAMR.
:|

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I notice UT3 only appeared to get a luke warm reception the offical UT2003/04 site....

It sold reasonably well, but the online component flopped big time in terms of activity. There were rarely more than four or five populated servers of each gametype at any time.

There wasn't a lot wrong with the game itself. The weapon balance is a big improvement over 2004 and the engine looks great (IMO second only to Crysis) and runs very smoothly, although the interface feels consolized and has several annoyances. The small gameplay changes they made to each game in the series fragmented the UT community over time though. The release was also poorly timed, coming alongside a lot of other high profile games, and the basic style of gameplay is unforgiving to noobs and has fallen out of fashion these days, so it was never going to attract a lot of newcomers.

The mod community has really saved this game though. The highlight for me is the Galtanor's Invasion mod. Even in singleplayer, it's more fun than most other FPS I've played in the last few years, and it becomes even better with a few friends.

Offline Roanoke

I thought of UT3's major issues was it didn't lend itself to mods (not as well as UT2004 anyway) ?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I don't do anything with it myself, but there is certainly no indication of that given the output of the mod community. There are probably more people making maps and mods for it than playing it online.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I used to play it, seeing as how my school had it loaded on all the comps in a single computer lab, because the seniors were working on making a mod for an assignment. It resulted one day in an impromptu UT2004 deathmatch ... good fun it was. I remember I dropped down in front of someone and slagged him with a full biogun charge.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!