Author Topic: how far does this port go?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline T_A

how far does this port go?
well i installed it and the first mission with the appollos is still as unforgetable as when i first played the game many years ago

but what about the other thing ? - The launch deck graphics , the movies and the encyclopdia
and the overall "feel" of FS1?

and just to be clear - i downloaded the full FSport pack (230mb) ver 2.3
put in a dir in root fs2 dir and selected that dir as a MOD in the SCP launcher

Offline Nuclear1

Re: how far does this port go?
Well, since you have it installed, go play and find out. :nod:

It does port the ships/weapons, and there's even music ported as well (check a few threads up), but AFAIK, nothing else.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Well... FS1 was 640x480 only...
So it would be hard to resize everything without losing quality...

Oh... And what about languages?
Did FS1 already have s.th. like the strings.tbl?

I own a german version of FS1 but the text displayed in FSPort are still english...

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Quote from: T_A
but what about the other thing ? - The launch deck graphics , the movies and the encyclopdia

Err... that'd be Descent: Freespace that you're looking for, aka Freespace 1. :D

- Selectah

Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Quote from: T_A

Err... that'd be Descent: Freespace that you're looking for, aka Freespace 1. :D

- Selectah

Wait for the SCP version of the port - it should contain a lot of those stuff.
AFAIK the cutscenes were converted too, so they can be put into the mod.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If they have the Galatea and Bastion Mainhalls too, I will love them to death. Because I won't have to try and figure out how to do them myself.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline CaptJosh

A while back, I was going to try to pull some FS1 to FS2 table porting and the like in order to at least get the low res interface art in, as I suck at image editing and didn't dare try to resize anything, but I've rather given up on that.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Oh... And what about languages?
Did FS1 already have s.th. like the strings.tbl?

I own a german version of FS1 but the text displayed in FSPort are still english...
The original FS1 didn't have the external translation tables.  The missions and table descriptions were already in German so they didn't need to be localized by the game.  The missions and table desciptions aren't compatible any more though so that doesn't really help you any.  All of the language work that I did for the icculus.org port has already been introduced into FS2_Open so someone will just have to make the new table entries to fix the rest of the language issues.  I do have a modified strings.tbl which uses most FS1 text (there isn't that much that's any different) for English, and at least in part, German.  The icculus.org port didn't use tstrings.tbl though since it's designed to run will all original data, so I can't help out with that one.