Author Topic: FRED Academy  (Read 272040 times)

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I'll give the testing a whirl first.

Didn't realize the first few posts were still updated.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Mission 5 of Campaign 2 still up for grabs?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It is indeed.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

Offline Shade

Too often new people join the community and work for a little while on a campaign before getting bored by the solitude of working on a mod singlehanded and leave.
Though I'm hardly in danger of leaving, this pretty much describes how I feel about FREDding right now. Lots of grand ideas, but it's tedious as hell working alone and I can clearly see that I'll likely never get any campaigns finished with the free time available to me - or at least not in the foreseeable future anyway. Sooo... would you mind if I take one of the open missions? I'd like to start working as part of a team :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If you feel you need to improve your skills, go for it. :) Otherwise you can contribute almost as much as a tester. It would take a lot of weight off my shoulders to have other people testing apart from me and it gives everyone the chance to indulge in their two favourite HLP hobbies, playing FS2 and complaining. :p

Offline Shade

Well, there is one set of skills I think I need some practise with, and that's cutscenes. So I was thinking mission 12 of campaign 3, which seems to be one of those "Much to watch but not much to do but move the story along" kinds of mission, and as such would be a good opportunity to acquaint myself further with the cutscene sexps.

But the main thing of it is that I'm tired of working on stuff that'll likely never see the light of day*, but on the other hand I have a craving for campaign-making that just isn't sated by releasing the odd multiplayer mission here and there. That doesn't mean I can't help test though. As you suggest, any chance to complain is worth taking ;)

*(or in one case, just won't see the light of day until you guys finish up BtRL and release already so I can finally have a container, a ship to move the container and a ship with a landing bay to work with... I even went as far as making a container myself but my truespace skills proved insufficient for the ships :p)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I have a counter-proposal to broach first. PM sent.

Offline Fergus

I was looking through an old My Docs folder, and found a version of my (years old) mission, it was Retail 4.  Now as much as I'd love to keep working on it my laptop lacks the necessary keys to move around in FRED.  The language is awful (hard to believe I could construct sentences like that, but heh, it's got my name on it) but the combat seems solid enough, anyway I was wondering if anyone wanted it for whatever reason.  I've no hosting space I'm afraid but I'm quite happy to email it.
Generic signature quote blabber

I would love to sign up for the FRED Academy. Kara, you know exactly why. ;)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well you've already got a mission I'd like to see finished first. Once you do you're more than welcome to sign up. :)

I know Kara, I'm basically saying I want to sign up to get lessons, regardless of what I'm working on. :p

In any case, sure. :D

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Hi,

Are there any missions that people have stopped working on? I'd like to try one.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Campaign 2 - Mission 8 is currently free.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I'll take it.  Thanks!
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline eliex

Finally I have completed my entire plot for a potential campaign, but I just don't have the skills to create for the community yet. Is there a free mission that I can start working on?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
There a few in Campaign 3 that are currently unassigned. Take a look and pick one.

Offline eliex

Ok, I'll take  Punic Victory, Campaign 3, Mission 12 for starters.
Getting to work soon.  :p
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:26:15 am by eliex »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Okay. Assigned it to you. Good luck. :)

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Are there any missions open? :confused: I'm fairly new and was directed here to get some experience before trying for MindGames.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~