Author Topic: FRED Academy  (Read 270484 times)

Offline dekal

Aside from mission 15 campaign 3, is anything else available? I'm not in the mood for a BoE style mission...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There should be quite a few left free. I'll need to go through and see what can be done with the missions. Finding the time is the issue.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I'd like to make a mission. Is there going to appear enything new?
I did retail help.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Hi i'm new and i'd like to enroll in the fred academy and try it out
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Sure, tell me which mission you'd like to try.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
looks like mission 15 campaign 3 is the only one left. i'll take it for a spin.

What kind of ship is the acumen? i haven't found any references to this. guess i'm not reading it hard enough.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:11:43 pm by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
It's either an Orion or a Hecate, assuming that GTID is a typo of GTD. It's really hard to tell since most of the FREDders that FREDded for FRED Academy no longer have their missions up.

I'm also interested in creating one of these missions. I've done both the tutorial from the FRED 2 Documentation and designed a mission of my own, albeit with abysmal voice acting, in the past. However, it doesn't seem that there are any open missions to do, except perhaps from the Babylon project which I don't have. Any idea if there will be any new missions soon or if there is something else I should do?

I would be interested I messed around with fred2 with fs2 originally came out. Nothing really serious though typically a pearl harbor like attack on a bunch of colossi being torn to pieces by a bunch of shivans.  So I would like some basic tips about getting started again. Also where can I find a version of fred?

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
hey just a heads up necroing a thread (posting in a thread no one has posted in 30 days) is general frowned upon.

to answer your question, fred comes with the scp release builds. you can get the latest one here http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80754.0

there are several tutorials about getting started in fred all over the place. here is one http://www.fs2downloads.com/diaspora_freddocs/index.html, there should be more on the wiki, fred discussion, and modding boards.

hey just a heads up necroing a thread (posting in a thread no one has posted in 30 days) is general frowned upon.
True, but if it's a sticky thread it's not necroing :P

The original :v: version of the FRED documentation can be found here (Fred Docs); however, the BSG-themed documentation (linked above) has been updated for FREDOpen.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
The original :v: version of the FRED documentation can be found here (Fred Docs); however, the BSG-themed documentation (linked above) has been updated for FREDOpen.
However, the BSG-themed version (Diaspora FREDdocs) isn't complete yet, and a complete version won't be publicly available until the Diaspora R1 release. The Diaspora FREDdocs will eventually be ported to FS2.

If you're just starting, your best bet is to look at the retail FREDdocs, which can be downloaded from the link above or viewed online here.

EDIT:
When you look at the FREDdocs, be sure to do the full walkthrough. It will take you a couple of hours to finish, but it is absolutely worth the time. This Q&A explains why doing the walkthrough is so important.

EDIT 2:
The FRED Portal on the FreeSpace Wiki is also worth a look.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:23:57 am by jg18 »