Author Topic: Ryleh Campaign  (Read 7989 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I thought the FSCRP could have some fun with this. :)

Ryleh is an unfinished campaign made by Zarathud.  He was good enough to put the incomplete campaign on his website, but there are several broken links so I'm linking everything manually here.

Campaign: Webpage FSC

Mission 1: Readme FSM
Mission 2: Readme FSM FSM A (for campaign mode?)
Mission 3: Readme FSM
Mission 4: Readme FSM

Bonus (incomplete) mission from the nascent HOL campaign: Readme FSM

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I don;t suppose that you (or Macfie) have the voice files someplace?

I will need someone to convert these to FS2 for me until I get my new motherboard, the import feature in FRED does not work with Windows 2000.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ooh, I forgot that I could fix the ZIP links too. :)

Mission 1
Mission 2
Mission 3
Mission 4

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Goober, You wouldn't happen to know which star system the campaign was supposed to take place in?  It talks about the Vega node so I'm thinking it might be Capella.  It says the station is on the fringe of known space.  The other possibilities would be Deneb or Beta Aquilae but since these are connected to other known systems I don't think it would be them.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I have no idea.  Zarathud has been on the boards semi-recently; I'll email him and see if he has anything to say.

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
::decloaks::

Since Ryleh 1 was created back in the FreeSpace 1 days, the star system location isn't cannon.  We weren't sure what would happen in FreeSpace 2, and basically expected more nodes to be discovered.  How we were wrong...

FSM2A was a "harder" version.  I remember that the community review on combat difficulty was mixed, so I made things easier in the official release.  Both mission 1 and 2 were reviewed and subject to some pretty extensive beta testing (see the readme).

I'm pretty sure that I've lost the notebook with my comprehensive notes on the campaign.  Here's what I can remember about the history:

I've always enjoyed the first few missions where the Terrans and Vasudans fought with no shields.  The heightened risk of low-tech combat really drove home the idea that Alpha 1 and *every* other fighter pilot was disposable against the powerful capital ships.  The tech shift from flying without shields to flying with them should have been an incredible shift in the viability of fighters.  Of course, then FreeSpace 2 turns it all upside down again.  The first fighter engaging a slashbeam would have been toast, just like in the early FreeSpace days.

The funny thing was that a lot of other people enjoyed Ryleh 1 (Ryleh Rising) because of its no-shields "hardcore" combat.  When Volition didn't include it in their first mission contest, a lot of people were unhappy.  Pacing is incredibly important in making such a mission "winnable" without being too easy.  For the time, I think it hit the right skill level for those in the community.  If you took a wrong turn, you were vaporized.  It was challenging, while winnable. 

Ryleh 2 was about putting a credible capital ship attack on the space station, especially with the early era ships.  The readme discusses the software limitations of 3 capital ships + a station often being too much for the time.  But the goal wasn't capital ship combat.  The player has to defend the station while it's being repaired, which was intended to create a tense defensive situation.  I was also experimenting with positioning of "light" cruisers like the Aten and Leviathan.  If the player is busy enough, the Atens weren't so vulnerable.

Ryleh 3/4 were proof of concept bridge missions that were missing final elements.  Basically, they were to set up the final 2 missions by developing a story hinting at the Hammer of Light's own Bosch-like strategy.  But rather than working with the Shivans, the HOL wanted to lure the Shivans into attacking Terrans at Ryleh Station.  Leave a trail of breadcrumbs right to the front door....  I had some ideas about spinning it out and actually doing a more drawn out battle chasing the Hammer of Light, but those only made it to concept stage.

Why couldn't I get the last 2 missions done?  First, the toying with Ryleh 3/4 concepts meant that I'd have to commit to an ending in Ryleh 6.  Second, the FreeSpace community kept taking more development time and IceFire was really pushing for working on a community-developed campaign.  Mostly, things got bogged down when Pastel and I were experimenting at putting together a new space station in Truespace.  I decided that the existing station wasn't interesting enough to hold together as a "new" cooperative effort between the Terrans and Vasudans.  We thought we were closer to figuring out the POFs than we turned out to be, this experiement is where the campaign fell off track.  The AI had become really problematic with crashing into the station rather than defending it, and I thought a more rounded and bulbous station would be easier for the AI to fly around.  Instead, it turned out that we had all sorts of problems with being able to fly thorugh the station.  Not quite what I had in mind.

Ryleh 5 would have involved defending ships coming from a nearby planet to a rally convoy point to escape from the system.  Much like Battlestar Galactica, defending civilians fleeing from the Shivan threat.  If the player was *too* good at killing Hammer of Light in the early missions, more of the Vasudans would start "defending" themselves against the "murderous, trigger-happy" Alpha wing and eventually fly in their own convoy.  Alpha wing would be ordered to defend the break away convoy along with the original convoy.  The Hammer of Light and a few advance Shivans would swtich off attacking with some fun event scripting (using distance sexps) to make sure Alpha kept getting pulled in different directions.  The second convoy would probably become dogmeat and maybe a Hammer of Light ship (to be seen at the end of Ryleh 6) would come to "rescue it."  I thought this would be necessary to give story time for developing the "anti-Shivan" prototype technology used in Ryleh 6 and work back in the Hammer of Light.  The Shivans were the boogeymen, but the Hammer of Light were intent on turning off the lights and playing scary music as an invitation for the monsters to attack.

The last mission would have been a multi-part last stand.  Splitting the mission into several parts would have let me fix some events so that a Hammer of Light wave appear in the distance followed by some Shivans who would attack it, then warp out.  The Hammer of Light would barrel towards the station, damaging it in an attack.    Then an explosion in the station would occur, triggering a red alert as Shivans appear.  The station's going down and has to do something desperate.  The player has to destroy certain turrets on the Shivan capital ship to force it into the right position so the station can send out a prototype beam weapon (jury-rigged) to damage it.  The ploy hopefully works as the system works and the Shivan scout gets destroyed.  Then the mission comes to a screeching halt.  Something blows up, the station is screwed and Alpha is doing a final clean up of fighters trying to finish off the ship.  Then the Hammer of Light gets the last laugh by finally taking out the station.  Alpha watches the madness in horror.  Do they destroy the HOL ship or capture it?  Maybe it's one of the freighters that turned on Alpha before.  My guess is 4 out of 5 times the Vasudan would get fried. 

I toyed with the idea of an ambiguous ending where it's not clear if the Vasudan ship that appeared actually was responsible.  Maybe they didn't fire on the station at all, but instead might have been escaping and had a warp problem.  Panic or friendly fire was always an option.  Sometimes it's more fun to plan and code a mission than actually to release it....
Zarathud, retired FreeSpace coordinator of the Descent Chronicles/VolitionWatch

Offline Macfie

I've converted the missions to FSPort and fixed some minor problems.  I used a Capella background for the missions.  I'll post them tonight to the FSCRP site.  I haven't done anything with the bonus mission other than convert it.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Macfie

The campaign is uploaded to the FSCRP website.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Good. I'll definitely check this one out. :)

EDIT: I have it now. What do you expect other than bugfixing? What kinds of improvements?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:31:01 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Macfie

We have some information from the original author about the intended missions of the campaign.  Is the intent for us to complete the campaign?  Most of our work in the past has been just with upgrading.  I know we were looking at the Titan Rebellion campaign that was also incomplete.  I guess the question comes down to the basic philosiphy of the FSCRP.  Is it just restoration or restoration and completion?

Offline Admiral Nelson

This is a community project.  If someone wants to compete it, great.  If not, that's great too. :)  We should spiff up the existing missions for a release at least, but beyond that is only if someone wants to build it.  FREDing from scratch is much more labor intensive that upgrades / bug fixes.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I agree but unless we have detailled info provided by the author and/or the author himself is available to supervise our work I don't really think we should design several missions from scratch.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Admiral Nelson

Fair enough.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, what do you call Zarathud's post above?  That's pretty detailed.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Yeah, but that still leaves us the task to create briefings, debriefings, messages, etc. etc. :(
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Can anybody make a seperate mission for the FSCRP and send it in to whoever, or do you have to qualify?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 05:06:17 pm by dragonsniper »
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Admiral Nelson

If you want to find an old campaign and give it some TLC, feel free to post it in this forum for review.  There are many old campaigns that could benefit from this service.

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
I'd be happy if the first two missions are converted to the FSCRP.  They were available and well distributed through the old community mission archive system at Xanadu's and then the Descent Chronicles/Volitionwatch.  The first mission was very important personally and led to a lot of discussion among the community about mission balancing.  The second mission was a way of bringing some early ideas about mission design into play and worked into the old philosophy behind our review system.  Feel free to update for the new features and new player skills as you feel appropriate.  The goal in both missions was to create a feeling of fighting on the razor's edge -- in the old tech transition era before and after the introduction of shield technology.

The third and fourth missions were me trying to advance a story-telling campaign, and aren't much unless someone has an interest in fleshing out the story elements in the last few missions I've listed above.  The campaign fell apart due to technology limitations of the era and my activities in the old community doing mission reviews, editorials and summarizing current events in the news sections of Descent Chronicles/Volitionwatch.  During this campaign, I realized that my focus became on other people's work rather than my own.  And that was enough to make me happy by itself.

The beauty of FRED has always been how you can visualize stories and action, then translate it into the game with a relatively simple mission programming language.  While I'd like to actively participate in finishing the story, I fear I'd feel even more like a dinosaur and probably wouldn't be much help except as a sounding board.  If you're inspired, great.  If not, please tell your own story instead.

I'd consider Ryleh Rising (mission 1), The Queen (GOTY edition solo mission) and Shivan Incursion (GOTY edition multiplayer mission) my best mission designs.  That's even with the possible exploit from delaying participation to let the AI take the punishment in Shivan Incursion.
Zarathud, retired FreeSpace coordinator of the Descent Chronicles/VolitionWatch

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
If you want to find an old campaign and give it some TLC, feel free to post it in this forum for review.  There are many old campaigns that could benefit from this service.
I'd be happy to take some time to play and edit some missions (maybe a whole campaign :drevil:) I know there's a huge list of campaigns at the campaign section of FSwiki, I just don't know which ones need editing. And just out of curiosity, is there anything else that needs to be done to a picked campaign (texturing ore re-modeling a ship(s) or is it just re-FREDing and bugchecking?
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Is Cthulhu in it?  :nervous:

Sig censored by people with no sense of humor