Recent Posts

Pages: < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Next >
In popular media we see characters recast all the time and it's no big deal. I'd much prefer if someone really wanted Admiral Petrarch to be voiced in their new FS game that they just find a new voice artist. A good one could even try to approximate the voice well enough (see Red Skull in Avengers Endgame).
This sums it up.

There's a big difference between creating a cover for a beach boys song and creating a simulated version of the beach boys to make songs.
I enjoyed reading this.

To be fair the rest of us sounded like some grumpy elders right there (myself included) :D

Morally and legally I don't see it as fundamentally different from what we've already been doing.
[...]
I don't see why voice work is meaningfully different.  It's not like we're going to pay any of the original VAs to do it if we can't do it with AI, nor pay anyone else.  There's no material loss.

I think you are drawing a false equivalency here.

An actor's/talent's voice or likeness are not a comparable piece of intellectual property as they have an existence divorced from the fiction context they are embedded in. An actor/talent continues to be a person even if they stepped out of the recording booth/off the stage/leave the set. And that personhood is inseparably linked to their voice (both in the literal and metaphorical sense) and likeness as identifiable external characteristics.

While we are talking about professional actors/talents there is a case to be made about the commodification of this aspect of their personhood being consensual. However making that argument in full also means to acknowledge that said consent is conditional on remuneration. No payment, no consent, no commodity to be bought or sold.

Additionally, it would negligent not to consider that even with professional actors who take pay-check jobs as their livelihood, the pattern of payment = performance is not that simple.
There a good number of performances that only exist because circumstances align: the right director, the right script, the right moment in time, the right stage in their career etc. etc. pp. As a result some performances would not exist to be used as training data but for a house of cards of circumstance which made the actor/talent consent.

Furthermore, there is another point were your argument is lacking.
Your argument rests on the fact that the activity of this community, creating derivative works by reusing story concepts, 3D models, music etc. has been non-consensual from the start.

But it has not. Take a look at this section of the FS2 EULA (link to the wiki):
You [the owner of a copy of FS2] are granted a revocable, nonassignable limited license to create derivative works of this Software solely for your own personal noncommercial home entertainment use and may publicly display such derivative works to the extent specifically authorized by Interplay in writing. [Details on how to look up the specifics of that policy at the date of original printing follow]

By owning a copy of the game, each community member that owns the game, has been granted conditional consent to create derivate works and "display" them (i.e. share them). This is further reinforced by the fact that FRED exists in the retail versions of the games and its use is encouraged by providing a tutorial.

Said consent is conditional, but the condition is simply to that no money is being made from the derivative works as commodeties. Which is a condition easy enough to meet if you have desire for it.
Between the Ashes / Re: Teasers & Trailers
« Last post by Colonol Dekker on April 03, 2024, 04:14:31 pm »
Applause.gif

Very nice it is too.
Between the Ashes / Re: Between the Ashes Development Blog
« Last post by mjn.mixael on April 03, 2024, 10:50:39 am »
In case you missed it, our final trailer was posted here. BtA2 will release on May 24, 2024!
Between the Ashes / Re: Teasers & Trailers
« Last post by mjn.mixael on April 03, 2024, 10:49:44 am »
The final trailer for Between the Ashes 2: The Growing Silence was released last week. I failed to post it here!
Nightly Builds / Nightly: 03 April 2024 - Revision 052b4b29e
« Last post by SirKnightly on April 03, 2024, 01:29:41 am »
Here is the nightly for 03 April 2024 - Revision 052b4b29e

Group: Linux
nightly_20240403_052b4b29e-builds-Linux.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: MacOSX-arm64
nightly_20240403_052b4b29e-builds-Mac-arm64.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: MacOSX-x86_64
nightly_20240403_052b4b29e-builds-Mac-x86_64.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: Win32-SSE2
nightly_20240403_052b4b29e-builds-Win32-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Group: Win64-SSE2
nightly_20240403_052b4b29e-builds-x64-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Code: [Select]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
commit 052b4b29e
Author: Mike Nelson
Commit: GitHub

Multi sync API (#6077)
 code/network/multiui.cpp                  | 1527 +++++++++++++++--------------
 code/network/multiui.h                    |   30 +-
 code/scripting/api/libs/ui.cpp            |  287 ++++++
 code/scripting/api/objs/enums.cpp         |    8 +
 code/scripting/api/objs/enums.h           |    8 +
 code/scripting/api/objs/multi_objects.cpp | 1048 ++++++++++++++++++++
 code/scripting/api/objs/multi_objects.h   |   39 +-
 7 files changed, 2214 insertions(+), 733 deletions(-)

commit ea8e356b6

Multi Start Game UI API (#6068)
 code/network/multiui.cpp          | 203 +++++++++++++++++++++-----------------
 code/network/multiui.h            |   8 +-
 code/scripting/api/libs/ui.cpp    | 106 ++++++++++++++++++++
 code/scripting/api/objs/enums.cpp |   4 +
 code/scripting/api/objs/enums.h   |   4 +
 5 files changed, 229 insertions(+), 96 deletions(-)

commit 9bba53c3e

Multi Join API (#6059)
 code/network/multiui.cpp                  | 315 ++++++++++++++++--------------
 code/network/multiui.h                    |  26 ++-
 code/scripting/api/libs/ui.cpp            | 133 +++++++++++++
 code/scripting/api/objs/multi_objects.cpp | 234 ++++++++++++++++++++++
 code/scripting/api/objs/multi_objects.h   |  11 ++
 5 files changed, 572 insertions(+), 147 deletions(-)
Mission & Campaign Releases / Re: Blighted - An FSO Roguelike
« Last post by pepper_hill on April 02, 2024, 12:31:27 pm »
After posting it to the wrong forum page at first, here it is, once again, where it should belong to.
A detailed list of all Tempering and Amplifying Effects for weapons, every Upgrade and Equipment, and what they do.

Thanks to mongoose for giving us a heads-up.  :)

-Henrik
Wing Commander Saga / Re: Kilrathi Death Message bug
« Last post by CT27 on April 01, 2024, 07:47:36 pm »
I have some mostly good news to report.

I used Notepad to put in those three lines of text Sqpar posted in the messages tbl file.  I tested for several missions afterwards (I'm now in the Cairo section of the campaign) and I'm no longer getting that Terran death audio/ani when a Kilrathi craft is destroyed.

However (this is what I meant when I said 'mostly' good news), since I put in that fix a few days ago, I no longer get any generic Kilrathi death audio/anis at all when their ships are destroyed.  This isn't a huge deal and overall it's an acceptable tradeoff IMO, but I just thought I'd let you know.

FWIW, here's how I went about updating for these recent issues:
-After 0.9.63 was released, I manually downloaded and installed every file on the FSNebula WC Saga page except for Core and the two movie files.
-I used Notepad to manually edit in the fixes in for this issue and the Vega 5 issue from the other thread.

So it looks like I defacto have the 0.9.64 version of "Core" (that's the file the fixes were in from what I've been told), but the 0.9.63 version of all other files from the FSNebula WC Saga page.  Should I bother manually updating the other files to 0.9.64?
Pages: < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Next >