Author Topic: A couple of questions.  (Read 2926 times)

A couple of questions.
I'm using an xbox 360 controller which doesn't seem to work very well with this game, so I was wondering if there is a better way to look around your cockpit other than pressing the d-pad and it shooting off up, back, left or right? It's really clunky to use. Would I still have the same effect no matter what controller or joystick I used? If not, any recommendations?

Also, on the first mission when you have to blow up the heavy missile turrets (I think that's what they're called), what do you do if you run out of missiles before they're destroyed?

Thanks.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: A couple of questions.
I'm using an xbox 360 controller which doesn't seem to work very well with this game, so I was wondering if there is a better way to look around your cockpit other than pressing the d-pad and it shooting off up, back, left or right? It's really clunky to use. Would I still have the same effect no matter what controller or joystick I used? If not, any recommendations?

The best way is with a separate TrackIR type peripheral, but not everyone wants to shell out for that.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Also, on the first mission when you have to blow up the heavy missile turrets (I think that's what they're called), what do you do if you run out of missiles before they're destroyed?

The best tactic here is to use your wingmen. Select a turret, then order them to destroy that subsystem through the comm menu (Press C on the keyboard, then use the number keys).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline newman

There is another control you may find useful, called "padlock view". It locks your view to the currently selected target. TrackIR is still better, of course, but if you don't have it padlock view can be very helpful. I forgot what is the default key for that, but you should be able to find it under control options in the game itself.

Haven't tried flying with an xbox controller myself, I use a HOTAS stick, but there are a lot of mouse fliers out there so if you don't have a joystick I recommend giving the mouse/keyboard combination a go. From personal experience, while the HOTAS is better at some things (having a hardware throttle is brilliant, and the thing is just immersive), aiming is easiest with the mouse. Don't be afraid to start on the easy difficulty, though - it has autoaim which can help you a lot until you get used to the controls.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Aether

Another tip in relation to the Heavy Missile Turrets mission, make sure that you're definitely targeting the Heavy Missile Turrets (HMT) and not the Light Missile Turrets (LMT).

After a HMT is destroyed another target is selected. This target can be another HMT or a LMT so you need to make sure you have the right target (you won't complete the objective by taking out LMT's).

Also keep an eye out for the red X that appears on the target indicator. This means you don't have a clear shot to your target and you'll only be wasting missiles.
So say we all!

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Another tip in relation to the Heavy Missile Turrets mission, make sure that you're definitely targeting the Heavy Missile Turrets (HMT) and not the Light Missile Turrets (LMT).

After a HMT is destroyed another target is selected. This target can be another HMT or a LMT so you need to make sure you have the right target (you won't complete the objective by taking out LMT's).

That was the mistake I kept making on my first playthru!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Also keep an eye out for the red X that appears on the target indicator. This means you don't have a clear shot to your target and you'll only be wasting missiles.

I did wonder about this as it looked like some of my missiles did nothing.

Offline newman

The red "X" can be misleading, we need to fix that at some point. Basically, when you're taking out the heavy launchers, make sure you're taking it at a 90 degree angle in relation to the inner part of the basestar's arm. I never miss from that angle. So basically, directly above, from the "inner" part (so not the outer shell part).
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

If you don't want to go the long mile and invest in TrackIR you can search for FacetrackNoIR. It is a freeware program that uses a webcam. it basicly recognises face marks (position of eyes nose mouth etc) and uses the position of your head to turn the camera ingame. It has a little getting used to and it is not perfect but good enough.
A voice from the dark called out and said: Smile and be happy, things could be worse. So I smiled and was happy, and things did get worse...