Author Topic: Let's crowdsource an in-universe comments section!  (Read 2620 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Let's crowdsource an in-universe comments section!
Hi,

I am currently putting the finishing touches on re-release-version of three old FS1-era campaigns (by me) ... including making all new in-engine sequences to serve as back-end to each story (and in some chases to further tie them into more recent stories)...

As part of one I included the following (technically) debriefing text as an epilogue:

GTVA-CTA Traffic Bulletin #4711
Ikeya System
02-08-2367
------------------------------------

The GTVA-CTA would like to remind all commercial pilots in the Ikeya System to refrain from reporting any further instances of ''phantom signals'', ''ghost radio broadcasts'', or similar received by communications equipment scanning the D- or Y-Band while in diagnostics mode. These ''signals'' are naturally occurring phenomena in the Ikeya System. They are neither man-made nor Shivan in origin.

Processing unsubstantiated reports like these occupies valuable personnel and resources, which would otherwise be used to maintain and improve the services of the GTVA-CTA.

Furthermore, the GTVA-CTA would like to remind you that no commercial, military or emergency service uses frequencies above 150 GHz for communications purposes.

- Diligence is the best pilot - Commercial Traffic Authority of the Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance

As an added bonus, I thought it would be a nice little community interaction thing to crowdsource the in-universe comments section under that bulletin here in the forums, rather than going out into the wilderness and translate some comments back.

So, what I would like you to do is help me by writing a short comment (or multiple) you think someone would post under an official statement like this (including an in-universe name; there are no pseudonyms in the comments section for official GTVA statements)... Please try not to make it so that it wouldn't be too grounded in any days Twitter-cylce (aka "Don't write stuff that is going to be a dated reference tomorrow").
Also, please keep in mind that Forum Rules and Guidelines will still apply.

On 31st, I will then add a selection from your entires to the release version.

ps. On technical note, I know next to nothing about actual radio operation, so the bands and frequency I picked might be subject to change.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:27:40 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
Re: Let's crowdsource an in-universe comments section!
Would advertisements count?

"Tired of the hustle and bustle of the Beta Aquilae system?  Need a change for you AND your family?  Emigrate to Capella--today!  Capella boasts a number of new colonies ripe for settling, with land settlement grants guaranteed for new colonists and their families!

Beautiful planetary wilderness!

Inspiring multiple sunsets!

Untamed frontier spirit!

Things are booming in Capella!

(Contact your local GTA colonial ministry for details!)"
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
[03:24 AM | 03-08-2367] Hiroki Fukueda, GTVA Recruit:
"Diligence is the best pilot"

That's cuz you never met me!

[10:47 PM | 02-08-2367] Kalu Ilozumba, Captain of CFr Kalabar:
Well, if it's a natural phenomenon, we should at the very least find out why they happen. I don't trust anything my shipboard sensors can't make sense of.

Potato!

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
[16:27 | 02-08-2367] Reia Hanabi. GTVA Pilot:
"Phantom signals" huh, what about the "phantom ships" we were told to ignore, how'd that turn out? You'd think the second anniversary of the attack on Ross 128 would be a reminder...
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

18:05 | 02-08-2367 | Aditya Haldar, GTSC Chandrasekhar:

I'd offer to help analyze these signals, but I need all of my ship's processing power for this planetary survey mission right now. I'm heading back to Ribos as soon as my work here is complete.
Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
All looking very good. Keep it coming!

Would advertisements count?

Yes ..

I was going to add that it should be stuff from a commerical entity, not another government agency - but then two local government agencies trolling each other because the people involved have the otherwise most boring jobs in the Freespace universe ... works for me :)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
18:34 | 2-08-2367 | Christina Maroon, GTSC Chandrasekhar:

Oh come on Haldar, what's a few more hours of this bull****? We could make the next discovery of the decade! Nothing interesting ever happens, who cares if we're a teensy bit behind schedule if we get to have some fun? I know you're going stir crazy too, drop the professionalism already!
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
03:34 | 2-09-2367 | Mick Scott, GTD Amadeus:
This is all part of the GTVA conspiracy to hide the 34 alien races that emerged from the Laramis system. The moon landing was a hoax!

Keep if you like, going for the troll conspirator angle.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
04:20 | 2-09-2367 | Lidey Fu, GTFr Mascheri:
Looks like our radio station is safe for now folks! PM me any suggestions for a new playlist!
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If it helps with inspiration, here's a list of current emergency frequencies:

• 2182 kHz: International Maritime Distress and Calling Frequency for Radio telephony.
  • 4340 kHz: NATO Combined Submarine Distress.
  • 8364 kHz: Survival Craft.
  • 121.5 MHz: International Aeronautical Emergency Frequency.
  • 156.8 MHz: International Maritime Distress, Calling and Safety Frequency.
  • 243.0 MHz: NATO Combined Distress and Emergency Frequency.
  • 406.0 MHz: Emergency Position Indicating Locator Beacon (EPIRB).

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Distress/Emergency_Frequencies

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
04:29 | 2-09-2367 | Jeanne LaRose, GTFr Mascheri:
We are certainly NOT broadcasting anything to interfere with standard or emergency operations. Anyone saying otherwise is making a VERY unfunny joke.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
08:05 | 2-09-2367 | Michael Ray, Technician, GTI Moore:
I hope a competent science team gets to examine the phenomenon. I don't think it's a good idea for freelancers to just casually look around for anomalies in a system that's been contested by Shivans in the past. If they screw something up, it will have consequences, especially if one of them finds something out there again...

09:17 | 2-09-2367 | Ann Gray, Secondary Navigator, GTM Venice:
Whether anyone finds something or not, someone's sure to get lost in space if something craps up in these beaten up tin cans. And I can't guarantee anyone that I will be able to make out distress calls against this kind of background. So watch your jump trajectories out there.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:47:17 pm by MitoPL »
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.