Poll

What is/are your favorite programming languages?

Ada
0 (0%)
BASIC
10 (9.8%)
C
18 (17.6%)
C++
23 (22.5%)
C#
4 (3.9%)
COBOL
0 (0%)
Fortran
1 (1%)
Java
13 (12.7%)
Lisp
0 (0%)
Perl
1 (1%)
Prolog
2 (2%)
Python
6 (5.9%)
Ruby
2 (2%)
Other
13 (12.7%)
My programs are all on TV!
9 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Favorite Programming Language  (Read 15712 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Favorite Programming Language
:bump:

I know C++, and that's about it. Its covered in my module. I also know OpenGL, but it still comes under C++. I know a little AS3, and Java to boot. Plus, we had to learn Python, but I didn't really pay attention during class.

Oh, and next year, we have to learn DX, apparently. And a little birdy told me we have to learn cell programming and possibly C# and XNA.

Sounds pretty similar to the course I'm doing next year, multi-core programming, AI Heuristics and 3D Graphics programming. That's why I'm trying to get info on C#, I'm free to use any language I so use for next years project, and I have decided I want to use a C variant, but whilst C# would be 'easier' to use, I want to know how much of a system hit I'm going to take for game-style programming.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Iirc, we were told that C++ was the de facto game programming language, because it was a very powerful language, and you can easily use OOP with C++. I'm pretty sure you can do it with C# too, although apparently C++ is the base for most programming languages, so learning it will allow you to transition easier between languages.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That was the general impression I got as well, however, allegedly C# was designed with OO in mind from the top, and not enough people use Object Oriented programming in C++ anyway. Also, according to some sources, the garbage control of C# is actually superior to the manual requirements of C++, but then, others disagree.

I think C++ is the main game coding language because it was the only one that did the job for a while, I think C# is supposed to provide another option, but there's little information on it, and opinions seem to vary massively.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Imo, C# is still relatively new, so people are sticking with what they're familiar with, i.e C++. As time goes by, more C# games are released, it'll get more and more popular.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Generally I love C# compared to C++. I really like in C# include the auto-memory garbage collection, one less thing to need to be picky about.   You still may need to implement the Dispose/Finalize methods, if your class uses objects that have Dispose implemented.  FXCop will alert you of it.

I also like the conversions, especially to string,  myNunber.ToString()   The implementation of method overriding is a bit odd, the base method needs "virtual" and the child method needs "override".

Oh and probably my #1 reason, althought it's more Visual studio than language is "#region".  The ability to collapse sections of code is great, so your not seeing code that's not relevant now.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

I like Flash Action script  :D

Pascal  :D
Forum: 134th Barracudas
PXO: Rael

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Imo, C# is still relatively new, so people are sticking with what they're familiar with, i.e C++. As time goes by, more C# games are released, it'll get more and more popular.
C#'s popularity and relative young age is not the reason why game programmers are not adopting it. C# in practice uses a virtual machine like Java. The instructions generated when compiling a C# program are not directly processed by the processor. The performance will be always be less optimal than that of running native machine instructions. It's not so bad when developing normal applications but that's not so great for video games which are very performance oriented. Microsoft used to have Managed DirectX which uses C# but they ended up relegating that interface to XNA which is basically now used to make relatively simple Xbox Live Arcade games.

Plus, C# is a Microsoft technology. Game developers making games for the Nintendo DS, PS3, and Wii will never touch C#.

C and C++ isn't going anywhere when it comes to game development.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Aha! Thank you for that, that's pretty much the information I needed. I knew the .NET framework was heavily integrated into C# but reports varied as to whether the language was compiled or interpreted, this explains why.

I don't want to become too dependent on the good graces of Microsoft whilst coding, so that's pretty much decided the issue for me.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Wow. I didn't know that either. Okay. Its strictly C++ for me.

Offline LuaPineapple

HEY! Where's Freepascal?
Axem      incoming jump signature
Axem      pineapple configuration
Ace1999  AAAAAAH! It's so sharp and pointy!
Axem      obviously of shivan design

Actually there are cases where C# can be as fast as C++ and rare instances where it is actually faster than C++ (mostly with superior memory management).
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah but as you say they are rare. It's the same for Java for exactly the same reasons.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Go Basic ;D:yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
My first programming language was BASIC, I made a golf game during the second semester of the class in high school.  It was mostly to spite the teacher.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

I use VB.net primarily - though, that's less about VB.net itself, and more about how much better VS is when using VB then C#.  That and it's case insensitive, which frankly, all languages should be.

Do you guys think C++ will be able to maintain it's dominant position in gaming as the massively-multicore age dawns?  C++ is unfriendly at it's best in a single thread, and multithreading has to make that even worse.  With massively parallel hardware, I'm wondering if efficient hardware use isn't going to have to take a backseat to efficient development, the same way that C++ essentially killed off assembler.  Seems like it's just about time for a new language which has parallelism as a focusing point from the ground floor.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
...about how much better VS is when using VB then C#.

Not really no. C# and VB are far far better supported the C++, and the differences between VB intellisense and C# intellisense are far and few between.

That and it's case insensitive, which frankly, all languages should be.

No.

Do you guys think C++ will be able to maintain it's dominant position in gaming as the massively-multicore age dawns?

If you like playing games that don't suck, yes.

C++ is unfriendly at it's best in a single thread

If you have no idea what your doing, yeah.

and multithreading has to make that even worse.

Not really, no. Unless your doing things you shouldn't be doing. It only becomes a problem when you start modify the same memory locations from different threads, and you really shouldn't be doing that in the first place. Thats a problem even in C#, its just that in C#, it TELLS you that your being a complete dip**** instead of just blowing up.

With massively parallel hardware, I'm wondering if efficient hardware use isn't going to have to take a backseat to efficient development

Your saying it hasn't already? Do you know how many bull****-filled, horrifyingly inefficient, retarded Java games are out there? Do you know how unbelievably ****ing annoying working with XNA is? Efficient coding died YEARS ago, and its currently rotting in its grave as a bunch of retards with keyboards scream "OH HEY I CAN MAKE A GAME HAHHAHAHA" as they run across it. No, the only thing that matters nowadays is protecting idiot programmers from themselves so they don't blow up your computer. Everyone seems to dislike C++ because its a scary language and no one can understand how it works so they don't want to use it; they want to have 5 inches of fluffy padding on their walls before starting up their computer. Heck, *I* hated C++ because I couldn't understand it. Then, of course, I taught myself how to use it, and would now rather use it then any other language.

Seems like it's just about time for a new language which has parallelism as a focusing point from the ground floor.

We do not need more languages to argue about.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:57:51 pm by blackhole »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I have a feeling that Cell development could be done quite nicely with something like C#.  Maybe a whole cell could even be dedicated to code management.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Case sensitivity is a tool of the devil.
Frankly, we'll never agree on the rest - languages are supposed to be tools meant for optimal ease of use and efficiency, not flaming crucibles to test some kind of programmer iron.

Offline Topgun

cell development?