Author Topic: Space Marine  (Read 24096 times)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, you could be Chaos, but then you would just end up having your ass kicked back into the Eye of Terror eventually.
As is right and just.  These guys have never done anything for me.
You could be Tau, but that was already done in Fire Warrior, and besides, they're  bunch of weeaboos.
Communist Weeaboos with ridiculous amounts of firepower and mecha.  And TBH, they probably know more about the Empire's tech than the Empire does.  They're very smart.
You could be Eldar, but then you are some elf pansy with a Frisbee launcher for a weapon.
A Frisbee launcher that fires monomolecular edged Frisbees at about 2000 rounds per minute.  And if that's not enough, they'll cook you with mind lightning from further away while invisible.
You could be Tyranid, but then you would be a mindless ravening Zerg-like beast.
Nothing to say about these guys.  They are as advertised.
You could be Necron, but then you would be a mindless automaton.
Player controlled Necrons are not mindless.  They are willing servants who have been allowed to keep they're minds to better serve the Star Gods
You could be IG, but you would end up getting executed for cowardice 5 minutes into the battle.
It's kinda sad that baseline humans lot in life is to stand up to any of the above without the benefit of any of the advanced technology at the Empires disposal and then get shot BY THEIR OWN SIDE for finding a sufficiently safe place from which to attack.  If you make an IG video game, THESE are the guys that should excel at covering and whitling down the enemy.
You could be an Ork, which would be cool, but the campaign would be just like Overlord.
Green is best!  The red ones go fasta!
If it's a hack-and-slash kill-fest, It pretty much has to be about the Space Marines.
All things being equal, you are right, the next best choice would be Eldar but charging in willy nilly isn't their style.
[/quote]
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Here's to hoping hze Pc version rocks too.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
You could be Eldar, but then you are some elf pansy with a Frisbee launcher for a weapon. 

:lol:

What I dont like is re-using the whole "fight the Orks but turns outs its Chaos behind it all" twist. Really, it was good on the first Dawn of War but do they have to do that all the time Chaos is involved? I admit, from what I heard of the story and based on the other Relic DoW games I'm actually interested on this game so I hope they still make it interesting despite that but I'm now I dont know if I should get the PC or PS3 version.

Anyway, has anyone saw the other DoW game, Kill Team? That one also looks to be good and has the Blood Ravens.

You could be IG, but you would end up getting executed for cowardice 5 minutes into the battle.
It's kinda sad that baseline humans lot in life is to stand up to any of the above without the benefit of any of the advanced technology at the Empires disposal and then get shot BY THEIR OWN SIDE for finding a sufficiently safe place from which to attack.  If you make an IG video game, THESE are the guys that should excel at covering and whitling down the enemy.

That's why the Imperial Guard is the most badass army in 40k. :yes:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:13:06 pm by Sarafan »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You can't have a 40k game without the major pro- and an- tagnoists.

Those are the Imperium of Man and Chaos. They've always been. Life, however ****ty, and the fate worse than death.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Someone's always plotting the destruction of human worlds.  If it isn't the Eldar, then it is Chaos.  We just may end up with a sequel though where we find out the Eldar really were behind it all because a Titan produced at the Forge World would eventually give an Eldar a hangnail a hundred years from when the game takes place.  That could still be interesting as Eldar Aspect Warriors are pretty elite troops, not to mention fast and agile.  I'd hate to face some Striking Scorpions while under fire from Dire Avengers or Dark Reapers.  Knowing Relic though the Eldar would be Ulthwe of the hordes of Guardians, not Biel-Tan of the many shrines of elite Aspects.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
But Ulthwe has prettier armor.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

Those are the Imperium of Man and Chaos. They've always been. Life, however ****ty, and the fate worse than death.

You can, however, have a game with more than one major pro- and an- tagnoists or different ones, I know Chaos is the nemesis of the Imperium but its not the only thing in the setting that threatens to engulf the Imperium.

You can, however, have a game with more than one major pro- and an- tagnoists or different ones, I know Chaos is the nemesis of the Imperium but its not the only thing in the setting that threatens to engulf the Imperium.
Dawn of War 2 was like this.  The Blood Raven recruiting worlds get attacked by Orks, and then Eldar start causing ****, and then Tyranids show up and start eating everything.  What little plot there was was Orks killing while manipulated by Eldar into being a diversion so the Eldar could destroy a major forge and reactor complex on a hive world to wipe out the invading Tyranids so the Nids wouldn't continue on and eat a Craftworld.  The Blood Ravens (meaning you, the player) stop the Eldar from destroying Angel Forge, kill the Orks, and stop the Tyranid hive fleet from consuming the entire subsector and also presumably saving the Eldar Craftworld.  As to why the Eldar didn't just covertly help the Imperial forces stop the Tyranids, save everyone, and not have one of their Farseers get her ass kicked by Space Marines, well, they're dicks.
But Ulthwe has prettier armor.
If this is a contest over prettier Eldar, I'll have to go with either Saim-Hann or Altansar.  I'll probably go with Saim-Hann though since their colors fit them very well as everyone knows the red ones go faster.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
But only for Orks, with that whole collective unconciously make it work thing.  I suspect if there were enough of them, and a Nob big enough, the Orks could move a planet where ever they wanted.

Don't be ridiculous.  Everyone knows red really does go faster; it doesn't matter if it is Orky or not.  The go_faster code that was added to FSO was really just some red paint in code form.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Don't be ridiculous.  Everyone knows red really does go faster; it doesn't matter if it is Orky or not.  The go_faster code that was added to FSO was really just some red paint in code form.

Do you actually play the game?  Ork stuff actually gets an in-game tangible bonus from being red.

No, I don't play the tabletop game.  Do I know a lot about it?  Yes, I do, including the fact that Ork stuff, including red going faster, works because of the psychic gestalt Orks have.  At this point I'm just trying to troll Liberator right now by saying everything red goes faster, no matter if it is Orky or not.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Did I really used to be(am still?) that big a pile of troll fodder?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Admitting you are trolling someone isn't neccesarily a good idea at this moment in time :p

Seriously though, that's more jibing than trolling, so I'll let it pass, but don't taunt Happy Fun Liberator ;)

No, Liberator, you aren't that bad anymore.  You're coming across as pretty reasonable right now.  I just wanted to make a joke or two about red being an awesome color.

Thanks for letting it pass, Flipside.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
That extended gameplay trailer looked pretty awesome, and I am sufficiently hyped.  I dig the concept of lack of cover, just the continual forward momentum aspect of it coupled with the Fist of the North Star bloodsplosions looks like it could be a fun alternative to cowering behind crates.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

:lol:

What I dont like is re-using the whole "fight the Orks but turns outs its Chaos behind it all" twist. Really, it was good on the first Dawn of War but do they have to do that all the time Chaos is involved? I admit, from what I heard of the story and based on the other Relic DoW games I'm actually interested on this game so I hope they still make it interesting despite that but I'm now I dont know if I should get the PC or PS3 version.

It does kinda make sense to advance to more difficult enemies.
Chaos Space Marines certanly are a more difficult adversary then orks. Orks are cannon fodder to a space marine.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
That's not what he's saying, he's saying he's sick of that recycled plot that Relic has used for most of their Warhammer games ever.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
That's not what he's saying, he's saying he's sick of that recycled plot that Relic has used for most of their Warhammer games ever.

They need to get Dan Abnett to write for them, because then maybe we could have an awesome tactical Imperial Guard FPS in the vein of Republic Commando
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
The trouble is that there's no way to really progress a story with a single antagonist.

If you only use the orks, yay greenskins all the way thru.  Same for dem chaos boyz and dem Eldar.  It's boring. 

The problem is that no one other than the IG works on the scale that the Astartes do. 

The Eldar like to sneak around and manipulate, that's they're schick in a story more.  They're devious and manipulative, more out of arrogance than any actual malice.  Also, while they probably could make mince meat out of the Space Marines if enraged to the point of direct war, they haven't marched on a planet with conquest in mind for thousands of years.

The Orks are large, and do things BIG, but you don't fly around to a half dozen different worlds during a campaign and fight a green tide that all pay homage to the same Warboss.  The Orks don't work that way, and because of it, they're not a "large" threat.  Certainly not capable of being the big bad for a whole campaign.

Chaos does thing big, but like the Eldar they like to skulk and corrupt before revealing themselves.  And when they do reveal, they have a tendency to do themselves in with infighting and backstabbing.  Again, not a good basis for a singular campaign villain.

To tell an engaging if not actually interesting tale in a campaign, it takes more than just one of the enemy races.  Because none of them are a whole villain.