Author Topic: PhoenixE01 installs FreeSpace  (Read 11737 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: PhoenixE01 installs FreeSpace
You're looking at the mod.ini file for the 2014 MediaVPs. You don't want to change that.

You need to change the mod.ini file in Blue Planet (1 and 2 both, if you have them both) and Transcend. You need to open each of these folders, then open the mod.ini file, then replace every instance of 'mediavps' or 'mediavps_3612' with 'mediavps_2014'.

Alternatively, you can just install the 3.6.12 MediaVPs to mediavps_3612. This will allow you to play Blue Planet without any .ini alterations. You can hold on until someone gives you an updated .ini file for Transcend.

This is a stupid process and I'm sorry about it.

ok, so I changed the one instance in the blue planet mod.ini file, and now, for some strange reason, a few of the mods won't show up in the WXLauncher. blue planet, trancend, even my mediaVPs section down't show up to it, then I load up the standard launcher and it doesn't show a picture for any of the mentioned mods. the MediaVPs one still runs, blue planet crashes and I haven't tried Trancend yet

Well, if you still need Transcend's mod.ini, here is one set to use mediavps_2014 (Unzip it and place it in the Transcend mod folder).

Also, can you generate and post another log for blue planet?

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
ok, so I changed the one instance in the blue planet mod.ini file, and now, for some strange reason, a few of the mods won't show up in the WXLauncher. blue planet, trancend, even my mediaVPs section down't show up to it, then I load up the standard launcher and it doesn't show a picture for any of the mentioned mods. the MediaVPs one still runs, blue planet crashes and I haven't tried Trancend yet

Sounds like you accidentally altered the mod.ini files to .txt files, so they won't work any more. I was afraid of this - it's why I didn't want to push you into mod.ini editing.

To fix it, please turn on visible file name extensions. Make sure all the 'mod.ini' files end in '.ini', not 'txt'.

If that doesn't fix it, let me know, we'll try something else.

thanks for the trancend mod.ini file, and as for the name of them, I renamed it so it now looks like "mod.ini" when before, no idea why, but it only read as "mod".

update:

when renaming them back to "mod" from "mod.ini" they now show up on the WXlauncher. weird....but whatever at least it's showing up now
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:34:03 pm by PhoenixE01 »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Did you do what I suggested in my last post?

I just did, thanks a bunch, now FSport, blue planet and trancend all work flawlessly! now I just need to find out what's making sync crash, that and FSport Silent threat reborn still doesn't get as much of the graphic work that FSport (which works fine for me now) does now. I've even changed all of the MediaVP instances to the 2014 setting. and it still comes up with the in game warning saying that I have 71 warnings. if you want, i can get a screenshot of that.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:19:18 pm by PhoenixE01 »

ok, so I got Blue planet war in heaven, and for some strange reason, despite it working fine, the hud displays itself in two separate resolutions, so far this is the only campaign mod that does this. I can't get a screenshot of it as it only happens in the fullscreen resolution. it doesn't seem to stop my gameplay, though it is really annoying

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, that is a known problem with certain resolutions. Try running in 1680x1050.

It's an artifact of the fact that BP2 has a complex custom HUD with a ton of new gauges that activate later in the campaign. Artillery links and stuff like that. We'll update it to work properly on all resolutions in our next release.

awesome, and the highest resolution I can get to is 1280 x 1024. when I looked in there, 1680 x 1050 didn't appear as an option. I'll play around with resolutions and see what works. just trying to get as many campaigns as I can working, still no luck on my end with FSport Silent threat reborn though. however, Transcend, Blue planet, and the normal mediaVPs mod for the freespace 2 campaign all work flawlessly. I still have yet to test out Destiny of peace, Cardnalspear, and awakenings.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's the aspect ratio that matters, not the resolution proper. Just play with resolutions, there should be one that works without doubling in that range.

If not I think yarn or somebody else has a fixed hud gauge table.

Offline Yarn

See my new signature for the fixed HUD table.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

alright, thanks, also I found the resolution that works with blue planet WIH as well as all of the other campaigns I can get to work, however, after attempting to use that file that yarn sent me, I can't seem to run blue planet war in heaven without it crafhing part way through the intro movie despite it having worked before the only three I have any significant problems with are Sync, which doesn't seem to have any references of mediaVPs at all in its mod.ini file, Silent threat reborn, which now refuses to load up any of the high end graphics, and blue planet war in heaven, which, like I said, crashes suddenly. I played around with a few things that I could think of without completely ruining the game, namely, just the options you and the others gave me, nothing seems to work. Sync gives me the warning of thirty problems and doesn't tell me what's going on. I try to get past it and it crashes the game. I have all of these other campaigns to play in the meantime so hopefully after I've flown through all of these a solution comes up for Sync and Silent threat reborn.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That crash is a bug that recently appeared in the engine, it will be fixed in the final 3.7.2 build.

Also, just for future reference, we need to see the fs2_open.log files from these crashes in order to actually fix them. Saying "<X> crashes" or "<Y> does not work" is usually not enough information to do a proper fix.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

alright then, is it possible that it can be solved by uninstalling war in heaven and then reinstalling it? because before this, I was able to get into a mission just fine.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No. If my hunch about what is going on is correct, this is an engine bug. Reinstalling WiH will not fix that. (I suspect the reason why it worked before was because you were using a 3.7.0 or 3.7.1 build, those do not suffer from that particular regression)

well, I just ran into another crash, playing FSPort on the mission where you scan the shivan battlegroup. as i'm scanning the EVA, it crashed right there. I had also played a number of missions right before with no problems.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

nevermind, I got past it, it's all running smoothly now in FSport. as for the builds, I've been working with the latest build for the past week. only moments before I posted about the war in heaven crash, I was able to get into a mission with it. would that still mean it's something to do with the FSO build?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Probably, yes.