Author Topic: Yet another new GTF Apollo [WIP]  (Read 10324 times)

Yet another new GTF Apollo [WIP]
Hello,

I didin't want to start a new topic for another model of apollo. Sorry if that wos wrong decision. Admins - Feel free to relocate this if you think thats  better.
 I wos inspired by others and decide to do my own version. I designed that model to be version know to fans from FS1 intro, so it have turret and other details from that short intro. However it is done clever, I can remove that features/details from intro and within blink of the eye ( maybe not that fast...;) change him to be better model then this from game (but also to be accurete  to the texture details from game). I didn't want to start revolution and change everything. I'm also too much attached to the oryginal model, so most of details come from textures. I presume that V becouse of the hardware limits put details int the textures.

Below you can find exept pictures a link to the online repository with the model, so you can see this in 3D (if youor browser play nice with webGL)
However there are some mistakes becouse of conversion. My model doesn't have such holes in mesh and too much smooth. Well what can I say that hosting is for free... ;)

Maybe it is not "too clean" but I can say that it is finished.

About: 12820 poly

3D version:
http://p3d.in/42xeu

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:18:09 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Yet another new GTF Apollo [WIP]
Looks good, but you should really start a new thread... this is kinda Hades personal GTF Apollo thread, your version should be in it's own thread as well :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:18:26 pm by mjn.mixael »
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Thread split. New model deserves new thread.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Cool model!  I also dig the briefing room and hangar scenes on your imageshack account--looks like you've got some ambitious FS projects going on :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Looks bloody good. Also about time someone made the heavy/bomber Apollo. :yes:

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
If you were to do a regular version with the canon weapon layout and about half the polies it would be amazing.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you were to do a regular version with the canon weapon layout and about half the polies it would be amazing.

Half the polies isn't required.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
No, but many of the polies in his model would outright look out of place or be unnoticeable in-game. This looks like the retail model with a few extrusions here and there, mostly from large portions of faces where it doesn't really make sense.

I mean no offense, of course, but it looks far too similar to the current model we have, IMO.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Aside from the fact that it's a totally different variant.. (bomber style).

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I believe he meant for it to be used as both the bomber and regular variant so I responded accordingly.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I was just wondering, how big is the Apollo bomber variant? Would it be big enough to warrant gun convergence?

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Wow! This is amazing. The only thing that I want to see a lot more changes is the underside. I agree with Hades that it could use a bit more detailing, but I love it. I don't expect to see this model in the FSU (despite what you've said in the original post because it might be easier if you start from scratch... maybe), but it would be a great addition for the mods and even the FS1 Intro Upgrade if MjnMixael wants to use it. All that's left are the textures.

Ups...that brifing room and hangar are for ...<STATIC>#$@D*&0-d... . All of them are WIPs.
Thanks for feedback!
I have to repeat myself once more: I make that model from the oryginal game model. Also it is not clean and have too much poly, BUT It is designed to be used in animations, it don't have to be super clean and low poly for that purpose (but it is possible). There is almost none conepts or sketches of the bottom part of that fighter/bomber. Maybe someone have that - I didin't find anything good. Also  I wirted  that in first post tah It is possipble to fast change all bomber apperance to the fighter apperance. I should also add that after that poly count will drop at least about 2600 poly.

I'm suprised that none ask why I made another  apollo model, especialy bomber version? With high poly details? :)

For  curious only:

High poly becouse I want make some "mystery" animation in the time of FS1
I want to make something similar to FS1 intro cockpit animation with pilot.
END OF SPOILERS

For now it is only that model of apollo and a helmet for pilot. (I have to learn making the textures and UV maps (good UVs) in Cinema4D)
Next big thing it will be the new cockpit.

Now back to work.

PS: O... for the time being new model   is in the same size as the oryginal  apollo model
     If somenoe have sugesstions - i'm open for them. Especialy what I should put in the bottom part of the bomber and fighter.

Sorry for language mistakes...

OK, I'm back ;)

I took to my heart all of the feedback and ciritcs and the resoult is a new version of that model.

Still I don't have a good reference to what put underside but it is better now.
Also it is less polygons then before, about 10642 faces (that showing p3d.in). Before that small optymilization wos 5000 more :D

I want to do cockpit next but some  of you will want to see that apollo as wos in the game. Well ... I wan't that too :) So first I will do the game version then rest of my plans.

3D
http://p3d.in/HdtGO

And some new pictures to show changes.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
extraordinary!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
No complaints dude.  It looks awesome.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
It's great! As far as the game version... Do you plan on making that a playable model? In other words, are you going to decrease its polycount so that it is more optimized? Just wondering because I'd love to see this bomber variant in-game as well.

That will be last one for today, I promise!

Reworked wersion of apollo known from game. This time 10016 triangles

For now I will concentrate on the cockpit and pilot
(btw anyone maybe have good dummy model of male (or female too)? Or know where I can find one?)

Optiization will have to wait, but can someone tell me what amount of polygons/triangles will be enough?

Textures and painting - hmm... Fs Intro apollo will have textures in the intro style.
Game version apollo  will be done in the "modern way" (I hope I will achie that ;))

I will release both models when texturing/painting and debris will be done.

3D
http://p3d.in/bpPXi/

Good to see you back on this :yes:

About the cockpit, lots of MediaVPs ships are using a Terran cockpit that's directly based on the FS1 intro. IIRC, it was made by Vasudan Admiral. The Loki (fighter13.pof) has the high-poly version, while the Herc (fighter06.pof) has a lower-poly cockpit.

Offline Kolgena

Looking good. Do you plan on modeling in some greebles into the engine and neck portions of the fighter?