Author Topic: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?  (Read 64556 times)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?
That is why we should replace them with what is convenient for us?? Dont agree with that!

I there were more jump point from delta serpentis to sol then why did the lucy pick the Delta serpentis node to jump to sol? Why also didnt the rest of the fleet managed to get out of Sol via the other nodes?? The fact is that either V made a mistake ar rewriten the storyline of thegame at some point or all those subspace nodes were taken out or severely damaged to render them inoperable !
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Yes; that was a bad loophole in the story.When I noticed that, I was like " :wtf: why did they do that?"
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
They're inconsistencies...and we can't trust them.

They are canon inconsistencies! They are inconsistencies! But they are canon! It is up to you which canon thing you choose! But you cannot say they are completely not canon! And you cannot replace them with non-canon facts!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I don't replace it with non-canon facts. I replace it with FS2 canon, which is preferable over FS1 "canon".
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Some guy making the cutscene or hte nodemap made a mistake... big deal...live with it!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Vip

Some guy making the cutscene or hte nodemap made a mistake... big deal...live with it!

No, Trashman ! Please... We can't live with such inconsistencies ! I feel I'm falling apart... Help... Help... HELP ME !!!

On another note - wasn't that discussed already ? Like a dozen times ?
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline Hades

Yes it has been.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
That's right. But people think that "inconstency" means "another valid truth" :doubt:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Vip

And if there was a mission where the Sathanas is a freaking Transformer ? Unless people at Volition say "Hey, just an Easter Egg, it's shouldn't really be there, don't treat it seriously" it is still canon...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That's right. But people think that "inconstency" means "another valid truth" :doubt:

No. It's an inconsistency in canon. You can choose either one.

Offline Hades

And if there was a mission where the Sathanas is a freaking Transformer ? Unless people at Volition say "Hey, just an Easter Egg, it's shouldn't really be there, don't treat it seriously" it is still canon...

You know what would have been a great easter egg?
Break dancing Shivans!
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started

No. It's an inconsistency in canon. You can choose either one.

No, I choose the one from FS2...which is better.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
To drag this fairly interesting thread back on-topic, I'd also agree that a second Colossus, or at the very least a Colossus-esque project, would be something that the GTVA would most likely consider if at all possible.  However, I'd also expect that presumably-limited resources would be first directed toward more manageable projects, such as advances in the corvette/frigate range, or more specialized anti-capship weaponry.  The GTVA has to know for a fact that nothing at all (or at the very least, nothing in the foreseeable future) could make any sort of dent in a full-fledged Shivan invasion.  In lieu of coming up with some method of doing so, focusing on improving current technology against what would be feasible immediate threats would make the most sense.

That being said, I did come up with a specialized weapon that seems somewhat feasible and would be invaluable against any future Shivan encounters.  In "High Noon," we saw that the Colossus's (albeit overloaded) beam cannons were capable of out-ranging those of the Sathanas.  We also know that the main beam cannons of the Sathanas were each able to be destroyed with a single double Helios volley, a damage level well within the GTVA's current beam weaponry limits.  So...why not take advantage of all of this?  With sufficient levels of fire control accuracy, and a beam with coherence (but not power) equal to that of the Colossus's main guns, it seems to me that it would be feasible to develop an anti-turret beam cannon, capable of disarming main beam weaponry from a fair distance away.  Throw a few of these on a corvette or destroyer, and you'd be able to cripple an enemy before it could return fire.  After that, send in whatever ships you want to finish the job.  Specialty weapons like this seem like they'd offer the GTVA their only chance of surviving any future encounters with something at the level of a Sathanas.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Hmmmm, anti-weaponry weaponry. It's a thought!  :nod:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:18:53 am by Wobble73 »
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I think that the GTVA  has learned not to put all of it's eggs in one basket, and won't build something as large as the colossus again for a good long while.  I mean, just think about it, would you rather have a bunch of fast and small destroyers that are easier to repair/deploy, or a gigantic ship like the colossus that just seems like a supply/repair nightmare?

There's a reason the Battleship has been pushed out of naval warfare in modern times.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Wobble73

• Steam

There's a reason the Battleship has been pushed out of naval warfare in modern times.

And that reason is the ballistic missile! And the FreeSpace equivalent is......?

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline CB

Actually, I think a Knossos project would take priority in the post Capella scenario.
Remember folks, Sol was *the*  industrial center of the GTA, and odds are the GTVA still is in contact with the forces there (sure, radio takes its time, but iti s only a couple of years from Alpha Centaury)
But even if not, think of the shipyards, of the factories, refineries.... well, if they didn't nuke themselves or something as idiotic as that. (yeah, no guarantees here)

on any case, the time it took to build Colossus? I bet a large part was infrastructure to do so. and the first one always takes longer.
Now, I am guessing it would get some redesign, so it would get a better beam convergence, or maybe improved armor.... seems she was designed before collapsed core molby was incorporated, so she might het an armor and hull overhaul.

finally, what about a missile based system for Meson delivery? the thing is big, but why not tie it to a huge drone like missile? would make an interesting standoff weapon (specially if they can do a missile spam... now, picture it, meson missile spam! that'd be the sight)

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Actually, I think a Knossos project would take priority in the post Capella scenario.
Remember folks, Sol was *the*  industrial center of the GTA, and odds are the GTVA still is in contact with the forces there (sure, radio takes its time, but iti s only a couple of years from Alpha Centaury)
But even if not, think of the shipyards, of the factories, refineries.... well, if they didn't nuke themselves or something as idiotic as that. (yeah, no guarantees here)

on any case, the time it took to build Colossus? I bet a large part was infrastructure to do so. and the first one always takes longer.
Now, I am guessing it would get some redesign, so it would get a better beam convergence, or maybe improved armor.... seems she was designed before collapsed core molby was incorporated, so she might het an armor and hull overhaul.

finally, what about a missile based system for Meson delivery? the thing is big, but why not tie it to a huge drone like missile? would make an interesting standoff weapon (specially if they can do a missile spam... now, picture it, meson missile spam! that'd be the sight)

Er... Hi CB, don't know if you have been welcomed yet so............

:welcome:

If the meson bomb was small enough to fit into a drone fighter they would have done so in FS2 (blowing up the Bastion), Why waste a destroyer, even one that was de-commissioned, when you could salvage that and use a cheap drone. (I'm unsure why they didn't just freighter unless it was the armament that the Bastion had that helped it get through, in that case a drone is more likely to be taken down)

Offline Vip

Well, I always thought they used an Orion because they expected oposition... The Bastion was really damaged even before Alpha 1 joined the fight (dunno if it wasn't due to the destroyer being decomissioned), so I guess that they had to put a helluva fight there.  Besides, an Orion can be hit with multiple Cyclopses and be in good form, whereas most freighters won't survive even a single torpedo.

As already said many times before, I think that they could produce another Colossus in a matter of 5 years, assuming they would find enough resources for this. As far as improvements go, probably tougher armor, better reactors and maybe equip it with those "60 fighter and bomber wings" at last :P Unless the GTVA makes some breakthrough in weaponry, I don't think that they could create any anti-juggernaut weapons before next century, however the Colossus works great as destroyer-killer, and it should be used as such.

Ah, and according to the FSWiki, the Collie had only 18 blobs... wasn't it supposed to have "45 laser turrets" ? If you could give it so many blobs, then why not replace them with more flaks ? This way it would own most bombs before they reach it.

And about contact with Earth - I believe that the Earth forces could have retrived the "arms" of the Lucy, the ones that contained the SSLs. According to the FS1 outro they were one of the few elements that survive the explosion. of course, most of the weapon itself would be damaged, however even researching hitsinks or such could give some great results. Remember, the GTVA built its beams basing only on scans. I believe that they could create much better ones if they had access to the wrecks of the original ones ;)

Offline CB

Er... Hi CB, don't know if you have been welcomed yet so............

:welcome:

If the meson bomb was small enough to fit into a drone fighter they would have done so in FS2 (blowing up the Bastion), Why waste a destroyer, even one that was de-commissioned, when you could salvage that and use a cheap drone. (I'm unsure why they didn't just freighter unless it was the armament that the Bastion had that helped it get through, in that case a drone is more likely to be taken down)

Thanks for the welcome.
When I spoke of a drone, I was talking conceptually, basically a manned vehicle big enough and fast enough to pull a kamikaze (assuming that, since it doesn't have a pilot or that it is a one use vessel, then I assume it can be as unsafe as it can be as long as it makes it fast enough (and is able to mount a shield).
in short I am talking about a drone built around the bomb to serve as a delivery mechanishm, nothing more, nothing less.