Author Topic: Steam Summer Sale Discussion Thread  (Read 14705 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Steam Summer Sale Discussion Thread
For all your questions or discussion of the various deals being offered.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Steam Summer Sale Discussion Thread
OK - XCOM for $10 - worth it?  It's on my wishlist, and it's 75% off.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
My body is not ready.

I held off yesterday, but aarrrgh, I'm giving in.  I at least have to get Surgeon Simulator, because come on, so many lulz.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
OK - XCOM for $10 - worth it?  It's on my wishlist, and it's 75% off.

Yes.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
So, The Walking Dead: is it still a worthwhile experience if I have essentially no knowledge of either the original comic or the TV series?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So, The Walking Dead: is it still a worthwhile experience if I have essentially no knowledge of either the original comic or the TV series?

The really awesome adventure game or the crappy shooter?

I bought the adventure game for my girlfriend since she really really likes the show.  It was pretty fun I thought and I have had no experience with the source materiel.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
what is this trading card nonsense.

also trying to decide if $30 is a good enough price for bioshock infinite and far cry 3.  but i'm not encouraged by the DLC structure in either.  especially bioshock.  what in the **** is this "season pass" crap?  i REALLY hate it when actual gameplay and story content is chopped up and offered apart from the game for more $$.  someone who has played these: am i missing anything of any significance if i buy the base game only?  if i buy the "deluxe" or whatever edition, am i going to get all kinds of extra gear at the start that is going to change the tone of the game? (looking at you, fallout new vegas)

also, thoughts on just cause 2 anyone?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:29:12 pm by Klaustrophobia »
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The Telltale adventure game, definitely.  I won't grab it just this moment, but I'll keep it in mind over the next 48 hours.  Antichamber from yesterday looked pretty intriguing too.

Edit: The "trading card" thing is tied into the new profile XP system, which basically increases your Steam e-peen as you buy and play more games.  For every game that supports them, you can get about half of a full set of cards via time spent playing the game, then the rest through random drops/trading.  If you craft a full set, it gives you XP and lets you unlock some random feature on your profile (a game-related smiley, custom backgrounds, what have you).  For the summer sale, I think you get a card for every three times you vote for the next community choice sale, as well as for every $10 you spend, and there are 10 cards in all.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
.... so achievements for spending money basically? 

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Somewhat, though voting gives you freebie cards, so it's not a requirement.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
also trying to decide if $30 is a good enough price for bioshock infinite and far cry 3.  but i'm not encouraged by the DLC structure in either.  especially bioshock.  what in the **** is this "season pass" crap?  i REALLY hate it when actual gameplay and story content is chopped up and offered apart from the game for more $$.  someone who has played these: am i missing anything of any significance if i buy the base game only?  if i buy the "deluxe" or whatever edition, am i going to get all kinds of extra gear at the start that is going to change the tone of the game? (looking at you, fallout new vegas)

$30 for Bioshock Infinite is well worth it.  I picked it up at that price about a month and a half ago from a retail store.

No story DLC for BI has been released yet.  There are at least 3 story DLCs promised to be released by early 2014.  The season's pass is a "bulk buy" of all three of those in advance; it also includes some bonus extras at the start of the game (which don't change the game all that much really, more on that in a minute).  If you get a discount on the season's pass by buying the deluxe edition now, then I'd recommend it - I finished Infinite and promptly bought the Season's pass for $20 afterward.  If there's no discount on the pass, then you may just want to buy the base game to start and see what you think of the game before buying the advance pass to DLC.  Again, those DLC have been promised to be story-expanding DLC with significant content, not "Horse Armour Packs" :P

The Season's Pass benefits give you some extra in-game stuff and then the DLC access.  The in-game stuff is 5 upgrades to health, shields, or salts (you get 24 total in the base game, the bonus raises that to 29, so it gives you a minor boost to stats at the start of the game), and then 5 gear items which are basically clothes that grant bonus abilities.  The bonus gear are not included in the base game, and are slightly more-powerful variants of base game gears for the most part.

I played the base game on Hard difficulty, and am currently doing a playthrough on 1999 Mode (which is supposed to be extra hard and harken back to the days of System Shock 2 - so far, I don't find it anywhere near that difficult).  I played the base game without the bonuses, then bought the pass before I started into 1999 Mode.  I haven't found they make significant changes to the base game by breaking anything, it just gives you earlier access to better survival or more powers use.  If anything, I'm finding my 1999 Mode run easier than hard most, mostly because I've now learned the intricacies of the various gameplay tactics and can use them to full effect.

System Shock 2 is my favourite game, period.  Deus Ex is a close second.  Bioshock Infinite has landed in the top 10 (along with DX:HR, the Mass Effect series, DA:O, Company of Heroes, and several others) so it's in very good company.  It is absolutely worth $30 to play immediately if you so desire, and if you're anything like me I'd bet you're going to buy the Season's Pass or all the story DLC individually later anyway.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
anyone think Metro Last Light is worth 40 dollars? I really enjoyed 2033.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
just dropped $76.  oh gods.  most of it was rocksmith DLC.  i got almost every song available i thought i might want eventually, since it never goes on sale any time else.  now i just wish i hadn't bought those songs 2 days ago.  my cart was up over $100, but i managed to convince myself to let far cry 3 and just cause 2 go.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
So, story DLC is bad but song DLC is good? :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline crizza

And Xcom - Enemy Unknown is mine...9.99€ :)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
If everyone gets XCOM, we may as make a thread which has all of our teams going through a LP
"No"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Honestly the only thing that's saving me right now is that I still have a massive backlog, plus my ancient crappy 10-year-old machine just flat-out can't run some of the stuff I'd buy otherwise.  (I'm looking at you, Just Cause 2...)  I'm sure I'll wind up tacking on one or two things just from these first two days, though.

you should definitely buy antichamber, if that's not been established already
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
So I got Ys I & II Chronicles+ (that series is one of my favorites for good reason), FTL, and System Shock 2 (I know, it's a freaking bad move compared to getting it on GOG, but I don't have means of wire payment). Now I still have dough, but have no idea what to burn it on.

Anyone willing to provide a Top 10 of "What's really good and you should buy it or we will hunt you down?"
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

I got Sleeping Dogs so far for 6.24 euro, quite a steal. I found it funny that it's DLC is four times the base game's price (25 euro even with 50% off), so I'm holding off on those till they hopefully become a little more acceptable (like max. 10 euro for all of 'em..).

Looking into what other games I might get, as well, but trying to be a little careful. I already got more than 160 games in my Steam Library..

Keep up the suggestions by the way, should definitely help down the line in purchasing games.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell