Author Topic: Can someone recommend a good keyboard / mouse combo?  (Read 4193 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Can someone recommend a good keyboard / mouse combo?
My $30 Wal-Mart Wireless mouse+keyboard combo is rapidly wearing out.  I'd like something that takes AA or AAA batteries, as I have a supply of Ni-MH Hybrid AAs and AAAs.  It'd be nice if the mouse was laser (or high resolution of whatever type); currently I've got a 600 dpi wirelessand a 300 dpi non-wirless.  The keyboard has media player buttons, which I like.  What are your recommendations for replacements.  (They don't have to be wireless... the only requirement is that they are under $100, unless they are uber-pwnz0rring in some way that you can define.)

Any advise appreciated.  Thx.  :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: Can someone recommend a good keyboard / mouse combo?
The G5 (new 7 button version) is currently $50 at Circuit City and looks very good for that price. I'll probably replace my MX518 for one of those soon.

As for keyboards, the G15 and G11 are packed with features but rather expensive. They're probably not worth paying full MSRP for, but can sometimes be found on sale for significantly less.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
i got a G5 with a UltraX
I hate My signature!

Offline Davros

Thats easy the original ibm ps2 keyboard "keyboard of the Gods"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:wtf: I have one of those.  I don't use it.  Why do you?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
A lot of people like those, but I can't understand why either. The keys are extremely noisy compared to modern keyboards and since they're PS2, there are annoying limitations on which keys can be pressed simultaneously.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I've got one of these.

Nice little fellow, helps to get used 2000 DPI when one is used to just 600 from "normal" mouses. Also useful when people who are not used to it have to use it.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
... and since they're PS2, there are annoying limitations on which keys can be pressed simultaneously.

...which is exactly why I don't use them.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
DO NOT get a logitech mx5000 laser combo, it sucks monkeyballs!
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Hah, I'm using USB keyboard that looks exactly like that IBM...

Offline Davros

thats the point entirely you still have one, they are engineered to last
they should line the walls of nuclear blast shelters with them..

Offline starfox

Well, I'm currently using Logitech Ultra Flat Keyboard and Razer Copperhead combination, that works for me.
Keyboard above all, was very chep, stylish and compact, without any oh-so special media shortcut keys (man, I hate those.)
Razer is perhaps little more pricey, but it is the best IMO.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 05:58:08 am by starfox »
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I used to hate the media shortcuts, too, until I found that it's hard to switch tracks in Winamp whilst playing Tremulous.  :p  All I want is play, stop, pause, forwards, backwards, vol up, vol down, mute, and that's pretty much it.   Extras ofc do not hurt, but I prolly won't use them.

I got my Model M of eBay a few years ago to replace the pos that was my old keyboard (the backspace key would stick sometimes.  Quite annoying when programming, thank god for CTRL-Z).  The mechanism underneath the keys of a Model M are a lot more reliable than the rubber dome switches used in modern day keyboards.  I find my Model M quite suitable for playing games.

A lot of people like those, but I can't understand why either. The keys are extremely noisy compared to modern keyboards and since they're PS2, there are annoying limitations on which keys can be pressed simultaneously.

I find the noise of my Model M quite reassuring.  I get far less typos compared to my previous more modern keyboard and the issue with simultaneous key presses plaque all keyboards which use a matrix system to scan the keys, ps/2 and USB alike, not to mention that ps/2 has a lower latency than USB. 

There's the added bonus that in the event of an emergency the cable can unplug from the back of the keyboard so it can become a quite effective means of self defence.  A Model M has both weight and reach!

You should check out /g/ on 4chan, there's usually a thread or two a week about the beloved Model M there.
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I find the noise of my Model M quite reassuring.  I get far less typos compared to my previous more modern keyboard and the issue with simultaneous key presses plaque all keyboards which use a matrix system to scan the keys, ps/2 and USB alike, not to mention that ps/2 has a lower latency than USB.

There's the added bonus that in the event of an emergency the cable can unplug from the back of the keyboard so it can become a quite effective means of self defence.  A Model M has both weight and reach!

No, it seems to be limited to PS2 models. Try pressing 0, 8 and one other key (usually 4, 6, 7 or 9) on the numpad at the same time and the motherboard will most likely beep at you. I got this problem on every PS2 keyboard I used and it was causing a lot of problems since I use those keys in FPS games, but I have encountered no such issues on USB ones. My G15 works flawlessly with the numpad.

Can't argue about the extra utility though. But I already have a 22" CRT and a 60lb fulltower case around for that purpose. :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
My word!  Just use a paperweight!  XD  Keep one on your desk for "decorative" purposes.  Thx for all the advise so far...  if there's more, I'm still listening.  :nod:

Offline ZmaN

I currently use a Logitech MX3100 Desktop Combo.  its got a laser mouse.  I like it alot except for the home and end keys positions (and the keys around them) are messed up so the shields are hard to balance in freespace.  Otherwise its a great combo.  It does have a rechargable battery.  I find it more convienent but its up to you...
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
OK, I finally went out and got a Logitech LX 710 Cordless Desktop (Laser) Keyboard & Mouse combo... cost me $70 US at Wal-Mart.  Thx for all the advise, guys... although it turns out I didn't get any of the stuff you mentioned.  :doubt:  Ah, well.  This one was available locally; what can I say?  :p  Anybody have comments on LX 710s?  (If you have used it.)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I've got a pair of old Logitech Trackman Marble+ 's

They've been solid for over 10 years now... and I can still out turn
just about anyone in a dogfight who's using a joystick.

There's a PS2 and USB1 version out there, but pretty much you can find
em on eBay... such as here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Logitech-USB-Trackman-Marble-With-Wheel_W0QQitemZ120166560600QQihZ002QQ
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline m

• Fear m.
thats the point entirely you still have one, they are engineered to last
they should line the walls of nuclear blast shelters with them..
:lol:  too bad they don't have the same kind of indestructibility built into keyboards nowadays... but then you wouldn't buy new ones, would you? :eek:

-m
This is me; I'm always the same: Virus in the system; crash the mainframe.
Uprise; now fall in line.
Roll with the pack or get left behind.

It's a Masterpiece conspiracy!!!

-Taken from P.O.D.'s Masterpiece Conspiracy