Author Topic: New hardware aquaired.  (Read 6982 times)

New hardware aquaired.
Hello All. When I found your website, I wanted to play again (see my post: New Pilot Onboard) but the current hard drive of my gaming computer is just plane full so I needed to buy a new one.

I found a 48 hour Email deal on Fries. So I picked up a 480 gig Kingston solid state drive for just $194.00 :nod:

So now I need your help. I need to know what FSO programs and mods to download...and in what order... so i can play FS1, FS2, with high end graphics for both, and the Silent Threat remake to get me started. And one more good campain with lot's of capital ships to kill would be great. All this should keep me going for a good while.

I also need to know where to go to get all these downloads.

The response to my New Pilot Onboard post was really great but confusing as to which to download first. :confused:

So what downloads in what order? And anything else you think would be good to know about would be welcome also.

Thanks for your time and effort all.

SpaceAce.

Re: New hardware aquaired.
Just install Freespace 2 retail, patch 1.2 and get Freespace open installer it will get you all you need to play with FSO and mediavps/fsport ;)

Get fso installer here
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87537.0

Edit: you'll need at least java 1.5!

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
And if you're a knowledgeable user, don't forget to disable memory caching on your new HD so that it will last longer.  SSD's have excellent speed but comparatively limited number of lifetime writes. With just program use, it's not a problem, but memory caching uses a lot of writes as it works. 

If you're not that computer savvy, it's probably worth asking a trusted friend to do it for you real quick.  Especially for a drive of that caliber.

(Somebody correct me if I'm using the wrong terms.)

When you say Freespace 2 retail, do you mean I have to go out and buy it somewhere, or do you have it here on this website?

I have the original disks for both games but I believe they were meant for Windows 98 and XP. Would I have problems installing them on Windows 7?

SpaceAce.

You won't find the retail game on this website but if you have the original game then there's no problem! I have win7 pro 64 bits and no problem with installing the original disks from 1999 ;)

What about FS1?

SpaceAce.

You don't have to install FS1, only FS2 and it's patch v1.2. Then from the FSO installer you'll have the option to download fsport and all it's related mods (you'll then be able to play FS1 on the FSO engine!)

So........

This is what I have so far:

1.  Install FS2 from my CDs. And then come to this website and download the patch v1.2

2.  Download:  MediaVPs 3.6.12  This gives me the great graphics for both FS1 and FS2.

3.  Download:  FSOpenInstaller  This allows me to download all the mission and campain mods.

4.  Download:  FSPort  This gives me FS1.

5.  Download:  Silent Threat: Reborn  This gives me the Silent Threat campain.

So, is this the right order and are the download names and numbers perfectly correct? And do I have everything I need to play listed here?

How bout it TwoCables, Any thoughts and comments? I still have your directions from my New Pilot Onboard post to study too. :yes:

SpaceAce.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've only one comment, you can skip step 2 if you're using the installer.  Just pick FSPort and ST:R from "custom install" and it'll automatically download & install the required MediaVPs for you.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

In facts there's no specific order in installing mods for FSO just dependencies to watch out for but in general as long as you have mediavps 3612 and mediavps 2014 you should be fine... And as Niffiwan said you don't need to download mediavps they're included in FSO installer along with many campaigns (fsport, silent threat and many many more!)
Also using the installer will get you the current version of the mod (for example an old version on blueplanet was working with mvp 3612, but the newer version that you'll get with the installer will now work with mvp 2014)

Unless you know exactly what version of what you're downloading or you're trying to run things on older builds it's easiest to just run the installer and let it do all the work for you.

For tips on finding campaigns there's a pretty good post here : http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80688.msg1603310#msg1603310
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Let's simplify this to the extreme (which is exactly what I did for you in your New Pilot Onboard thread, but you apparently ignored my post because otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question). Follow these instructions IN ORDER, and TO THE LETTER - you don't have to know anything, nor do you have to know what you're doing. Just follow these instructions:

• Install FreeSpace 2 from your CDs. Make sure that it gets installed to "C:\Games\FreeSpace 2"!
  • Download FreeSpace Installer
  • Open it (its file name is FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar) - If this doesn't open, then it would mean that you don't have Java 1.5 or later. Fortunately, v1.5 is kind of old by now, so it's very likely that you have it.
  • Click "Next"
  • Wait for the little window to go away that says "Setting up the installer"
  • Click "Complete"
  • Click "Next"

Ok, now we are at the part where you get to to choose what gets installed and what doesn't. Here are the things that I recommend not installing (deselect everything that I list here) because I believe you have Windows and a modern CPU. IF YOU DON'T, THEN SAY SO BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS:

• FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 Windows SSE
  • FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 NO-SEE
  • FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 Macintosh
  • FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 Linux
  • FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 FreeBSD
  • FreeSpace Open 3.7.0 Windows SSE2
  • FreeSpace Open 3.7.0 Windows SSE
  • FreeSpace Open 3.7.0 Windows NO-SSE
  • FreeSpace Open 3.7.0 Windows 9x
  • FreeSpace Open 3.7.0 Macintosh
  • FreeSpace Open 3.7.0 Linux
  • FreeSpace Open 3.7.0 FreeBSD
  • wxLauncher for Windows
  • wxLauncher for OSX
  • wxLauncher for Linux
  • Low-End Compatibility (this one is further down, directly underneath "Between the Ashes: Mefistofele"

The rest is optional, and some of it even depends on you. For example, I'm not a modder, nor do I want to play Multiplayer (I don't play well with others). So, I deselected these:

• Multiplayer Missions
  • Multiplayer Voice Files
  • FreeSpace Descent Manager Modding Tools

Now you can see why I had you choose "Complete".

After you're done, click "Install". I don't remember what's next after this, but it should be very easy and straight forward. This can take an extremely long time because you could be downloading about 20 GB worth of data.

After everything is completely installed, I think that all you will need to do is this:

• Open up C:\Games\FreeSpace 2
  • Open the file named "Launcher". Its icon is a black paw print.
  • Inside the launcher (it says "FS2 Open Launcher 5.5g" on the top of its window), click the "Browse..." button at the top
  • Browse to C:\Games\FreeSpace 2 and then double-click the file named "fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4.exe" (you might see it as just "fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4"). If double-clicking didn't do anything, then just left-click it once and then click "Open"
  • Switch to the "Features" tab
  • Where you see "Easy setup", select "All features on"
  • You can leave "Custom Flags" blank for now. However, here are the flags that I'm using for an even more realistic look: -ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 1.0 -spec_static .8 -spec_tube .6 -ogl_spec 83
  • In the "List type" menu, you can switch to different feature lists to further customize the features. This is purely optional. I recommend experimenting. You can also double-click ANY of the features to see more information about it. For example, in the Graphics list, this is what you get when you double-click "Disable specular": http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Command-Line_Reference#-spec
  • Optional: switch to the Audio/Joystick tab and deselect "Enable EFX". In my opinion, the effects are kind of annoying. Experiment to see what you prefer.
  • Finally, switch to the MOD tab
  • Click "Select Mod"
  • Scroll down and double-click "MediaVPs_2014"
  • Click "Apply" to make sure that EVERYTHING we did here sticks.

Now, before you go any further (don't click "Run" and don't close the launcher. Just hear me out), I want you to pin the launcher either to the Taskbar or the Start Menu, or at least create a shortcut to it on the Desktop.

To pin it to the Taskbar, simply right-click its icon on the Taskbar and choose "Pin this program to the taskbar". The launcher must be open in order for there to be an icon for it on the taskbar so that you can pin it.

To pin it to the Start Menu, open up "C:\Games\FreeSpace 2", right-click "Launcher.exe" (the paw print icon), and choose "Pin to Start Menu".

To create a shortcut to it on the Desktop, right-click Launcher.exe (in the folder as specified above), and choose "Copy". Then, right-click your Desktop and choose "Paste Shortcut".

Now you are free to click "Run" in the launcher. From now on, every time you want to play FreeSpace 1 or 2 (or anything that has to do with FreeSpace), you open the Launcher.

If you want to play FreeSpace 1: Silent Threat Reborn, then go back to the MOD tab, click "Select Mod", and choose "fsport-str" ("str" stands for "Silent Threat: Reborn"). That's all there is to it. If you want to play FS1, then choose "fsport-mediavps". That's all there is to it!

I guarantee you that if you do everything exactly as I have told you to here (as long as you have Windows and a modern CPU), then you will no longer be confused. Instead, you will be having fun! So, it's in your best interest to carefully do as I said here. I am here for you if you have any questions. Even if you feel it's a dumb question, ask me because NOT asking is even dumber than asking a supposedly dumb question.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:44:40 pm by TwoCables »
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline Davros

Another tip
use a different pilot for each mod

Another tip

Oh yeah, that's a good tip because if you don't, then you will encounter the error message that says the current pilot is incompatible with the currently selected Mod or something to that effect. Fortunately, pilots can be cloned.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
You don't need to use a new pilot for each mod if using a version of FSO since (and including) 3.7.0.

Another tip

Oh yeah, that's a good tip because if you don't, then you will encounter the error message that says the current pilot is incompatible with the currently selected Mod or something to that effect. Fortunately, pilots can be cloned.
If you get a "the pilot savefile for this campaign is invalid for the current mod" error after choosing your pilot, it means an undefined ship or weapon is listed as "available" in the campaign or "visible" in the techroom in the current CSG file. This is probably an indication that one of your mods has done something foolish.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

You don't need to use a new pilot for each mod if using a version of FSO since (and including) 3.7.0.

Another tip

If you get a "the pilot savefile for this campaign is invalid for the current mod" error after choosing your pilot, it means an undefined ship or weapon is listed as "available" in the campaign or "visible" in the techroom in the current CSG file. This is probably an indication that one of your mods has done something foolish.

Then that would mean something is wrong with either MediaVPs 3.6.12 or 2014 because I remember having an error like that when switching between the two, or when switching back to no Mod at all. For example, I went back to having no Mod selected just now from MediaVPs 3.6.12 and 2014, and I get:

"The pilot savefile for this campaign is invalid for the current mod. Please select another campaign or switch to the correct mod in order to use this campaign". So, if for some reason I wanted to play again without any mod, I'd have to create a new pilot.

I got this once before when switching from MediaVPs 2014 to 3.6.12, so I created a new pilot and deleted the old and it stopped happening. I haven't had it happen since. So, I don't know what to make of that.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter

Another tip

Then that would mean something is wrong with either MediaVPs 3.6.12 or 2014 because I remember having an error like that when switching between the two, or when switching back to no Mod at all. For example, I went back to having no Mod selected just now from MediaVPs 3.6.12 and 2014, and I get:

"The pilot savefile for this campaign is invalid for the current mod. Please select another campaign or switch to the correct mod in order to use this campaign". So, if for some reason I wanted to play again without any mod, I'd have to create a new pilot.

I got this once before when switching from MediaVPs 2014 to 3.6.12, so I created a new pilot and deleted the old and it stopped happening. I haven't had it happen since. So, I don't know what to make of that.
Can you upload that pilot's .FreeSpace2.csg file?

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Another tip

Absolutely. :) Thank you for looking into this, AdmiralRalwood!

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter

Another tip

For some reason, "Hornet#Shivan", "Hornet#Weak#Shivan", "Harpoon#Shivan", and "Harpoon#Weak#Shivan" are all set as "allowed". These are non-player weapons used by the MediaVPs. Apparently, the reason for this is that the allow-weapon SEXP stops at the first "#" and adds all variants that start with that string. This behavior seems rather odd, since the retail campaign doesn't rely on it anywhere. On the plus side, if the CSG is created without the MediaVPs active, I don't think it will create entries for those weapons in the CSG at all (my CSG lacks them). To stop this sort of spurious error from happening in the future, I'll see if it'll be possible to change allow-weapon's behavior without breaking existing mods.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Another tip

For some reason, "Hornet#Shivan", "Hornet#Weak#Shivan", "Harpoon#Shivan", and "Harpoon#Weak#Shivan" are all set as "allowed". These are non-player weapons used by the MediaVPs. Apparently, the reason for this is that the allow-weapon SEXP stops at the first "#" and adds all variants that start with that string. This behavior seems rather odd, since the retail campaign doesn't rely on it anywhere. On the plus side, if the CSG is created without the MediaVPs active, I don't think it will create entries for those weapons in the CSG at all (my CSG lacks them). To stop this sort of spurious error from happening in the future, I'll see if it'll be possible to change allow-weapon's behavior without breaking existing mods.

Aw, thank you. I appreciate you and the time you've spent on this to help!