Author Topic: Stars and Planets Celestial Information  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Stars and Planets Celestial Information
Celestial Information

* Name and Constellation: Alpha Canis Maioris, Canis Maior. Adaption to Latin of the Greek Σείριος (Seirios, which means glowing or scorcher), though the name might not be of Greek origin.
    * Other name(s): Alhabor, Al-Shira (Arabic for The Leader), Aschere (derivation of Al-Shira), Mrgavyadha and Lubdhaka (Sanskrit for deer hunter and hunter, respectively), Lokabrenna (name used in Scandinavia, that means burning done by Loki or Loki's torch), Aoboshi (Japanese for blue star).

* Distance from Sol: 8.601 ly, 2.637 pc
    * Type of System: Binary
    * Color: A1-White Main Sequence, A2-White Dwarf
    * Right Ascension: 6h 45m 8.871s
    * Declination: -16° 42' 57.99"

Absolutely none of this is even slightly relevant to FreeSpace in any way shape or form. Want to remove, replace with FreeSpace-related stuff.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: Stars and Planets Celestial Information
They indeed aren't. However, someone worked much to collect this data, so unless it's full of "Unknowns," there's no harm in keeping them.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yes, someone worked hard to collect this data, but that doesn't change the fact that it is totally irrelevant. It's an old carry-on from the earliest days of the Wiki and I don't really think it belongs there.

Also how about moving all the background codes to one page?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Also how about moving all the background codes to one page?

Fine by me.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

I have no problem with the information given, but I would love to see FS2-canonical named (and unnamed) planets in each of the GTVA systems. Would make it easier to stick to canon for if i want to a) make a new background for a system and b) to make sure people don't go "But that system doesnt have any planets!".
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Shade

I see no harm in keeping the information. It may not be relevant to FreeSpace canon, but it could well be of use to FREDders.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
:(

Another vote for keeping the information.  Some FRED'ers like nudging the FS universe a little closer to reality, and others use the same star systems for campaigns otherwise unrelated to FreeSpace canon.  It'd be nice to see a comparison of the real contents of each system to what's presented in FreeSpace, but removing the information wholesale seems like it would be mildly detrimental.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
sad snail is sad

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It would become relevant as soon as someone wanted to make a background environment of some specific system and wanted to look into what spectral class the stars have, how many of them there are, or even how far from Sol they are (if they are making distance affect node travel times in their writing).
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
If you want to be astronomically meticulous, then you wouldn't check the FSWiki, but a dedicated and more accurate source.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Which was the main reason I wanted to get rid of the stuff. It's very interesting and all but it's not really relevant to FreeSpace. But I guess everyone else loves it oh so dearly... <3

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
how about a compromise, replace the info with a link to a reputable source.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Which was the main reason I wanted to get rid of the stuff. It's very interesting and all but it's not really relevant to FreeSpace. But I guess everyone else loves it oh so dearly... <3

The irony is that if you simply deleted all these bits, no one would have missed them as much as to mass-revert your changes.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
This part:

* Type of System: Binary
    * Color: A1-White Main Sequence, A2-White Dwarf

Is helpful when making backgrounds, and placing suns.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================