Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 40636 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Me and two of my friends got the game yesterday, we liked it quite a bit. We also like the first two games a lot. so far FO3 has not been a disappointment.

Sure, it isn't the isometric turn based combat we all loved to hate or hated to love, but VATS makes up for it. My only gripe with VATS is that I hoped it would stay on until turned off. Now I have to press V again after every attack as long I have enough action points to make use of it. Because of this I've done most of the combat as real-time instead. During the three hours of play this is about the only gripe I have, which means FO3 is good enough in my books.

FO3 however looks a bit outdated by today's standards, especially character animations. But I'm forgiving type as long as they do what they were designed to do. And so far they have.

I might write more after a few more days of playing the game.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I should add, i bought it on the xbox, as much as my pc CAN run it without hampered performance; it just feels nicer with a control pad and not worrying about config :D If a modding scene appears i'll buy the PC Version.

All hail the Enclave  ;7
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

It's actually a very good game, on it's own.  Not a great game - it neuter's too much of the old game's mechanical depth, and the ending is cringeworthy, but a very good game nonetheless.

But they totally abuse the fallout setting to the point it's essentially an alternate universe.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I have to agree with the bad end. Too abrubt, too forced and not enough consequences told as in previous FO's.

Spoiler:
Not to mention that the whole Enclave bit was poorly done and made no sense. When I took the vial I assumed that the virus is supposed to get rid of all the horrific mutations (Super muties, Deathclaws, Centaurs and other)...it turns up it kill everyone, even normal humans (you).
I didn't use it the first time, but I had a save so I wanted to see what would happen...meh...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:49:10 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
For the love of God, use spoiler tags.  :hopping:

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
It's on my list.

I have more than a dozen friends who've all played the original Fallout games and are now playing Fallout 3.  They have nothing but good things to say about all three games.  In point of fact, Raven's attitude is the first negative thing I've heard about the game and he hasn't played it...

It's like the people who bashed DX2 without bothering to finish it.  Was it anywhere near as good as the first one?  No.  Was it a good game in its own right?  Actually, yes.  It had significant flaws but if you bothered to take the time to get immersed in it it actually was a pretty decent game.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Can we pl0x have no spoilers cause I is has it on mah list and I is begging for moneh to buy id.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Shade

I'm enjoying it a lot. And this comes from someone who has played and enjoyed both Wasteland, Fallout and Fallout 2. Sure, it's a very different game from the previous Fallouts. It would have to be given the technological development since then and the hightened expectations that come with it. But it is an excellent game in its own right, and in my opinion one that is worthy of the name.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Shiku

OBLIVION WITH GUNS!

Really, playing this I can't help but seeing so much of the oblivion engine. (not necessarily a bad thing though)

Story was okay, though the real fun for me lies in just getting out into the waste and exploring. That and waiting for people to start making Mods for it.
No one becomes depraved all at once.

I followed Snipes quite wide and far,
And he led us to an unknown star,
But as soon as I surveyed the scene,
A great Sathanas did fill my screen,
As it rushed forward for a jump,
The both of us seemed destined to bump,
Until I heard Snipes, not too quiet,
“Dive, Dive!! Hit your burners, pilot!!!!” -Trayus

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Yay!

I'm getting it end of next week. Yay!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Hurry up and get here!!

This way>> (Rivet City)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:29:26 am by Colonol Dekker »
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I'll bet someone makes a mod for Oblivion that uses that landscape within two years. I'll also bet that they'll be sued by Bethesda before it is finished.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Does the game world look anything like what it's supposed to represent? That might make it more fun for me. I used to live around that area and will recognize the locations.

It's like the people who bashed DX2 without bothering to finish it.  Was it anywhere near as good as the first one?  No.  Was it a good game in its own right?  Actually, yes.  It had significant flaws but if you bothered to take the time to get immersed in it it actually was a pretty decent game.

Exactly. I have come to appreciate that game more and more as the years have gone by and I've played other FPSs to compare. Despite all its issues, it had a lot of good ideas that we haven't seen in any title since then.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:46:50 pm by CP5670 »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Very much so. All the important buildings are there  - various museums, memorials, the Pentagon, White House, etc..
I heard you can even find Bethseda Office building in the game. I haven't found it myself yet, but the DC ruins are huge, with a LOT of rubble and buildings.

On of my favorite side-quests was Reylies Rangers.. It felt like I was playing aliens for a while...Butch(???) and Eugene...lol

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Check google maps for Bethseda, i've just come out of Tranquility lane :nod:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Got it earlier today. Started playing at around 1pm and put the controller down when I realised it was 10:30 and I have a uni assignment due tomorrow.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
It's good isn't it :nod: my arguement is that Oblivion is just FAllout 3 without guns :cool: :p
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Well, after a week of more playing, I have to say that Fallout 3 is indeed a good game despite its obvious shortcomings. Let me list some of them:
- SPECIAL stats have less meaning than in previous Fallouts. You can get almost all perks with just having 6 in every stat, which is easy to achieve.
- There is no real benefit in maxing out one or few of your SPECIAL stats, your character is "average" no matter how you spend your stat points. The only noticeable difference is intelligence as it really does help in the early levels by giving you some extra skill points to spend.
- Skill points are capped to 100 which is not bad in itself, but it is too easy to get ALL skills way past 50 if you spend your time exploring and acquiring skill books and have comprehension perk. There are 25 skill books for each skill, meaning 50 free skill points if you have comprehension perk. Also, stat and skill bobbleheads can give you +1 to stats and +10 skills. That is +62 to skills, plus 15 points you start with you already have 77 points in every skill.
- By the game's end, characters are bound to end up being way too similar skill wise. The only way to make actual difference is to play a game through differently. Not because your character lacks necessary skills, but because you yourself want to play differently. This I believe will be quite an annoyance to role players. Well, you could also intentionally cripple your character by not picking up skill books or bobbleheads, dunno if you can start the game with unspent SPECIAL points.

Without skill books (especially with comprehension perk around) and bobbleheads you would actually have to spend your points more carefully. But as it is now, Fallout 3 has been dumbed down to suit casual (console) gamers. The game is definitely much easier on the RPG element than the old-school Fallouts. However, at the same time combat elements are also easier to experienced PC gamers. I don't know how difficult combat is on console pads, but it is definitely child's play on PC.

Still, even though F3 has been dumbed down as seems to be the trend on every modern sequel of classic games, F3 is still a good game and worth its price tag, at least when the price has dropped a bit. Anyway, F3 does not require you to type in serial key to install or play the game, it does not need the DVD to be in the drive while you play, it doesn't even seem to have any noticeable copy protection. This alone is a good reason to support the game and buy it. If for nothing else than to show example that games without copy protections can sell well.

I still have positive feeling about the game, despite the fact that its critical elements been dumbed down. The game is fun to play. But for how long, that I don't know.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Until completion and all locations (a hundred+ if one of the achievements is to be believed :yes;)
have been discovered. I love enclave armour and plasma weapons.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Fury, you're assuming everyone will find all books and boobleheads.
I completed the game and found only 2 boobleheads for example.