Author Topic: Valve says games are too expensive.  (Read 2130 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Valve says games are too expensive.
linky

No kidding.  D'uh.    :rolleyes:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Valve says games are too expensive.
Epic lulz.

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Most game developers, I have noticed, are willing to if nothing else stay about fifty paces behind stuff regular gamers realized eons ago.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The retail prices of current games aren't really the source of the problem so much as a symptom of it.  Quite frankly, modern-day blockbuster titles have ridiculously high budgets nowadays, often completely disproportionate to the amount of enjoyment that one can potentially glean from them.  When you start talking about tens of millions of dollars to make an A-level title, something's gone rather wrong with the entire industry.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
DUH

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I think the talents of individual performers and producers are greatly overvalued (in monetary terms) in the current entertainment industry. Case in point: the Ion Storm debacle, and the insane salaries given to A- and B-list actors.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Say Duh all you want, but Valve is the first to empirically show it to be true.  That's a big deal.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
they dont realize how many times i bought a game when i normally wouldnt have because it was on sale or marked really low. fact of the mater is there are a lot more gamers nowadays than when i was a kid. back then hardly any girls played games at all, and most my friends only had a small number of games. nowadays you see people with racks of games and multiple consoles. not to mention pc gamers. more computers these days come with hardware acceleration as standard equipment. back then, you had to go out of your way to get a 3d accelerator, then struggle to find games that it would accelerate. moar customers + lower prices = moar money.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
nowadays you see people with racks of games and multiple consoles.
Maybe not the multiple consoles but I had about a hundred games even ten years back.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Well why do you think there's such a killing to be made on secondhand games? It's because they're usually under $20 and just as much fun as they were on launch day.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

I can personally attest to the "multiple consoles, racks of games". Easily around a hundred games, six consoles (seven if you include my PC), as well as two handhelds.

I don't buy as many games as I used to. More diverse interests, more limited budget. Still, I collect any I find are good: especially old gems I missed when I was growing up (contributing to the killing on secondhand games).

I like that Valve's admitting this. $50 for a brand-new game I always felt was too much. Generally, I buy for $30 or less if I can (there are exceptions... good 'ol FS2 I got for around $80 on eBay, and it's one of the few that I'd say it was worth every cent).

This could be the first step in the right direction, though I'm rather doubtful anything will come of it.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Darius

Spare a thought for poor Australians, who have to shell out $100 for a brand new game.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I know, I feel bad for them.