Author Topic: Joystick dillemma -- are there any good ones left in the world?  (Read 8393 times)

Re: Joystick dillemma -- are there any good ones left in the world?
Let me clarify, I tried the Saitek Cyborg 3D.  I did not try the EVO.  For all I know that's a wonderful stick.  But from my own experience with the Cyborg 3D... keep the receipt.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Logitech sticks are horrific abominations of the simulator industry. Never, ever get one. It WILL break on you within a few weeks. I got a brand new one of them (Extreme 3D), didn't use it for a week, turned it on and bam, already had lost two of my buttons - from it just sitting there.

Like I said before though, I use an ST290. Great stick for $20, fully functional, durable (have only lost one button after about a year and a half of use).

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
bah, 2 of the lights on my x52 went out. piece of ****, next time im getting ch :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mika

I've been using the same CH Flightstick Pro for about 10 years now. It has one hat controller (cannot use both directions at the same time - the only thing to nitpick about), four buttons and throttle. I have never had any problems with it. I don't know about the current quality of CH sticks, but it seems that in the long run you might end up saving a lot when buying a single expensive system that lasts long.

Mika
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
For those with outdated gameport sticks...
you can get a USB adapter down at RadioShack for about $15
to put it back into service. Many other electronics parts stores have
them available online as well.

You'll have to set the stick up using Windows game controllers (in control panel)
setting the axis and button controls... also note that any force feedback that you
once had will be gone.

From what I've read, the MS Force Feedback Pro stick did have a short
run where MS included a USB adapter with the Gamport version.... and this
did allow for the FF to be kept. How I don't know - but eBay's your best chance for one.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Logitech is the only one that i know of that currently has force-feedback offerings. Microsoft had a short run with the stick with MS FS7 *Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000*, which sparked my interest, and so I bought the less-expensive Logitech model for about a third the price.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Cyker

For those with outdated gameport sticks...
you can get a USB adapter down at RadioShack for about $15
to put it back into service. Many other electronics parts stores have
them available online as well.

You'll have to set the stick up using Windows game controllers (in control panel)
setting the axis and button controls... also note that any force feedback that you
once had will be gone.

From what I've read, the MS Force Feedback Pro stick did have a short
run where MS included a USB adapter with the Gamport version.... and this
did allow for the FF to be kept. How I don't know - but eBay's your best chance for one.

The downside with these is that 'digital' sticks like the Logitech Wingman Thingy and Sidewinder 3D Pro loose a lot of their functionality. As someone mentioned above, Grendle from the descentbb forums made a custom 'board for the Sidewinder; It even had a little Pyro laser-etched onto it :D
Alas they sold out ridiculously quickly, so the only option now is DIY using his instructions :(

A lot of people always why I stick with my ancient game-port 3D Pro, but it's basically down to feel. The ergonomics are just right for me. It presents the same smooth tension in all directions because it uses a single spring, and the optical sensors are as accurate as the day I bought it (Why modern sticks, even the ridiculously expensive Cougar, still use ****ty pots I'll never know!)
I really hate the feel of almost all modern sticks - The spring tensions either tend to force the stick horizontally or vertically which makes accuracy a pain, or the deflection is far too high from edge to edge. The Saiteks are nice, but they're let down by being slightly too bulky for my hands, which gets very uncomfortable in longer games. Also, I kept breaking the rubber thingy and the plastic collar the Saiteks use for the tension...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm, just found this, you might find it interesting...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_components_and_accessories
..Apparently, you can use any XBOX controller with you PC, as long as you download the drivers from MS?  And they have a wireless adapter for ~$20 that allows you to use the 360 wireless controllers as well?  Hmm...  What do you guys think?

EDIT: Oh, and try searching
Code: [Select]
gameport converter usb on eBay, what do you think of that?

EDIT2: Re-read the posts here more thoroughly.  Oops... you already knew all that  :nervous: 

@rms:  You use D2X-XL?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 12:48:51 pm by jr2 »

Hmm...  What do you guys think?

Shiny.

EDIT: Though it won't work near well enough as mouse & keyboard, it might be useful for getting console gamers back where they belong...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
EDIT: Though it won't work near well enough as mouse & keyboard, it might be useful for getting console gamers back where they belong...
:lol:
Very true!  :D Long live the PC Game!

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Has anyone here tried to play FS2 with steering wheel and pedals???

I'm just curious as I have a Playstation Steering wheel and pedals collecting dust here and just wondered if I should give it a try with my Playstation to USB convertor? (I'm also thinking of reloading Colin McRae Rally2 onto my PC and giving that a try with the steering wheel!  ;) )
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I'd say go for it with the pedals, though leave the wheel out of it!

Got a joystick?
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.