Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3033322 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: W-H-I-Y-L It's over 1000!!!!! (pages)
Ah, no. They got themselves to the god of the gaps and stuff, but we didn't reach that kind of metaphysical discussion.

I must warn you though that there's nothing "inconsistent" in their theologies like that. I've had several discussions where I did learn this. It's very simple. They state "there's no inconsistency because the terms do not contradict each other like you think they do" and bam, it turns into consistency. And then they'll call you ignorant for dismissing metaphysics. And, of course, I smile.

Seriously though, they have thought through all these impossibilities.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Well if they're expecting a valid, consistent, sound argument they'll never really know much of anything. Above argument is as sound as our current understanding of logic, reason, and the physical universe. By all means not irrefutable in all conceivable circumstances but atm someone's not allowed to reject it if they're the one asking for a proof. And imho anyone doing that is missing the point of religion.

Offline Luis Dias

Perhaps they are. However, such people do exist and they are no fools. Of course every "proof" of God presumes the (absolute) truth of its own premises and terms, and so it only convinces those who already accept the validity of those in the first place. Of course, those are believed by faith. And then there's this whole discussion if it's even possible to be skeptical of those.

For instance, if it is even possible to be skeptical of absolute truth, of the law of non-contradiction, and so on. But the terms used are about potentials and actuals in Aristotelian terminologies... which always seemed too alien to me and never convinced me that they represented a True state of affairs... and so on.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Did my first unsupervised driving today! Successfully got to Dominos to pick up my weekly pizzas, and back home. Didn't crash, or get a ticket, or any crap like that.

...AND CARS MUST BE DESTROYED!
I would be content to never drive again if I could always take public transit.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I think, after today's experience, we can safely say that religious debate of any kind is a grand ****ing waste of time. :)
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I think, after today's experience, we can safely say that religious debate of any kind is a grand ****ing waste of time. :)

I agree, theological debates are just sensless excerises in cicular logic that leaves all involved, pissed off. No, what we should be talking about is...
Boxes.

If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Interesting thing I noticed about "faith"...

When you say you have faith in someone, you mean you have confidence in their good personality traits... usually based on evidence of some sort.

When you say you have faith in God, you mean you have confidence God exists... right?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What you talking about I had a great time

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Interesting thing I noticed about "faith"...

When you say you have faith in someone, you mean you have confidence in their good personality traits... usually based on evidence of some sort.

When you say you have faith in God, you mean you have confidence God exists... right?

No.

But hey if it makes you feel better, assume it's not both things. I've never met somebody who claimed to have faith in God and didn't believe both.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:28:28 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs

Agreed.

Belief is incurable, in order to eliminate any belief one must destroy man and any form of meaning to achieve it.

Discussion of religion is better suited to historical and philosophical debates between ancient Oxfordian scholars covered in dust, perhaps with a few anthropologists shoved in the cupboard.  The problem I constantly encounter is that one side claims their method of deriving belief is superior, damn the study of the process as they're more interested in finding a solution that fits neatly within their horde of internet supporters.

Quote from: Aardwolf

Any belief takes a form of confidence, without it, there would be nothing. On the other hand trying to get physical materialists to acknowledge this hang up, and the mechanism that operates this confidence, is problematic and something that I stopped trying to explain to them a long time ago.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Material empiricism is the best because it makes testable predictions that can be iterated. unf unf empiricism party

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Faith = Belief, in what can be an act, person or aspect being constant, destined to succeed, destined to fall... Anything you can apply "believing" really. It's just a word dude.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Faith = Belief, in what can be an act, person or aspect being constant, destined to succeed, destined to fall... Anything you can apply "believing" really. It's just a word dude.

At least you better have faith in alcohol, lest I beat your unsacred tea totaling ways with some hops and fine barrel makin' hickory. :D
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
I have faith in my country's leadership to be able to set aside ideological differences and work together to solve the many problems facing our nation......  Nope could not keep a straight face.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I have faith in the human individual. That's all.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i believe that god, if in fact he does exsist with a higher probability than a flying spaghetti monster, is most likely a total dick and unworthy of our praise and a pleasing target for our transcendental wmds.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I believe in staying regular
"No"

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
i believe that god, if in fact he does exsist with a higher probability than a flying spaghetti monster, is most likely a total dick and unworthy of our praise and a pleasing target for our transcendental wmds.

Reminds me of a story Dekker linked me to on my facetube. It involved the world going to war with hell, wiping the floor with it (and only losing a city or two to demonic WMDs that consist of opening portals inside of volcanos which open out a couple of miles above the target), hitting Satan with a cruise missile and then prepping for war against heaven for closing the gates and damning even the pure.

Also Jesus and Gabriel (I think) are stoners.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Luis Dias

See? Makes for a fun discussion. People just get totally upset about the issue never understood completely why.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

Reminds me of a story Dekker linked me to on my facetube. It involved the world going to war with hell, wiping the floor with it (and only losing a city or two to demonic WMDs that consist of opening portals inside of volcanos which open out a couple of miles above the target), hitting Satan with a cruise missile and then prepping for war against heaven for closing the gates and damning even the pure.

Also Jesus and Gabriel (I think) are stoners.

I remember that, it was an awesome story.