Author Topic: Things you want to know about BWO but were afraid to ask  (Read 169092 times)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Re: Things you want to know about BWO but were afraid to ask
Not like End War's Sol has any super-juggernauts. Yet they could beat EA with ease.

Just be aware that uberness often means they're less interesting.

I think they're pretty balanced out actually

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along

I did!  :D

And I had to think about it first :)

I'll see what you posted first, and only after that I'll decide if I forgive you or not :D
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
My Sol faction is better than EA. Earth Alliance against End War's Sol faction are like cavemen with clubs ( EA ) trying to attack a T-12 Black Eagle tank.

So, better let's not compare any Sol factions :P

That's the old EA from INFR1. Things change, things change... ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
My Sol faction is better than EA. Earth Alliance against End War's Sol faction are like cavemen with clubs ( EA ) trying to attack a T-12 Black Eagle tank.

So, better let's not compare any Sol factions :P
Our Sol faction is not at all like these.  No super juggernauts, no super technology, no fancy fleets of brand new ships.  The Sol Coalition in BWO is in the midst of political strife and upheaval and the appearance of the GTVA is just fueling the flames.  Its a bit more nuanced :)

To be fair Inferno takes place a lot further into the future timeline, and Sol was consolidated relatively  quickly, giving them more time.

Plus wasn't the GTVA's beam technology loosely based on the Lucifer? Could have sworn I read that somewhere a while back......
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Snail is very modest about Inferno, actually. Mobius is a great FREDder and I don't blame him for being proud of his baby.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
I'm actually surprised none of the mods locked this topic or did something about it already.

High Max is right by the way:
1. This isn't Inferno, so please discuss it in the apropriate boards
2. Inferno and BWO have very little (if anything in common), so no point comparing them
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Maybe split?

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Not up to me, I'm just giving my opinon :P

Raven is a god.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
By the way, I was wondering if BWO uses silver beams. I think there was this old, old BWO trailer that showed some sword-like ship using what looked like a USilv.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Wait a second, Max...are you saying that BWO is related to Derelict? :eek:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Derelict, Warzone and Twilight yes. The original creators of these campaigns and BWO are the same, so its only natural they keep their own "FS universe"

Raven is a god.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Wait a second, Max...are you saying that BWO is related to Derelict? :eek:
Yes it always was loosely related to Derelict, Warzone, and even Twilight.  They don't impact the story too much but seeing as BWO was created by several of us in the first place we decided we'd reconcile the events of these different stories and go from there.  Gives us more of a fictional base to work from.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Do you think this choice is going to evolve in elithism?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Do you think this choice is going to evolve in elithism?
In what?
- IceFire

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Frak me...elitism.

Quote from: FreeSpace Wiki
* Establishing the "only Volition information is canon" rule helps prevent elitism and strife (e.g. fans of different post-FS2 continuities, such as Inferno and Cold Element, arguing over which should be considered canon).
* Popularity should not dictate what is taken to be official (e.g. lobbying for Derelict to be declared canon is an insult to other post-Capella-era campaigns)

Isn't BWO going to strenghten Derelict's importance? Wouldn't that result in elitism?

IMO it'd be better for BWO to be different from Derelict(I know it's late to make changes, though). BWO members have worked on the popular campaign(s) mentioned above, ok, but it doesn't mean they need to create their own FS Universe. In INF, for example, there are several alternate minicampaigns in progress that contradict the main INF continuity. It's always better to come out with new stuff. :D
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Uhh...I don't see any problem with that.
its not elitist, its just set in the same universe. They're not saying that their mod is canon nor are they saying the Derelict is canon.

So...would you do INFSCP in a way that makes INFA non-canon to its own continuity? That makes no sense.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
From what I understood, it's not THEM saying so, but the players.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
So...would you do INFSCP in a way that makes INFA non-canon to its own continuity? That makes no sense.

I wrote "minicampaigns", smaller projects that contradict canon to keep variety. I guess it's not foolish to create a "What if...?" campaign in which the Lucifer enters Sol.

From what I understood, it's not THEM saying so, but the players.

Well, yeah. My point is that, although they share pretty much the same team members, all these campaigns are separate and therefore give the impression that their events are somewhat canon.

Also, don't think all players are seasoned veterans from the FreeSpace community. Snail got banned from Wikipedia because he fixed the FS2 starmap, messed with the BWO one. In addition, if I remember well, Wikipedia reports(or, at least, reported) that Sol: A History is canon.

There could be a lot of confusion.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 12:02:21 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Frak me...elitism.

Quote from: FreeSpace Wiki
* Establishing the "only Volition information is canon" rule helps prevent elitism and strife (e.g. fans of different post-FS2 continuities, such as Inferno and Cold Element, arguing over which should be considered canon).
* Popularity should not dictate what is taken to be official (e.g. lobbying for Derelict to be declared canon is an insult to other post-Capella-era campaigns)

Isn't BWO going to strenghten Derelict's importance? Wouldn't that result in elitism?

IMO it'd be better for BWO to be different from Derelict(I know it's late to make changes, though). BWO members have worked on the popular campaign(s) mentioned above, ok, but it doesn't mean they need to create their own FS Universe. In INF, for example, there are several alternate minicampaigns in progress that contradict the main INF continuity. It's always better to come out with new stuff. :D

I don't like when concerted efforts are made to establish a story and then promptly contradict oneself.  That doesn't make any sense to me.  So I'm not sure why BWO should be so completely separate from our previous efforts?  That also doesn't make any sense to me. We spent all that time...might as well make use of it.

BWO is different from Derelict, is different from Warzone, is different than Twilight.  The stories are connected but not contingent on each other.  We managed to make the three separate efforts work together within one timeline enough so that we could write BWO to have a little bit of a foundation to work from. Mostly what this lets us do is share ships, ship names, and weapons.  For instance the GTD Warlock from Warzone shows up many times in BWO and Ace's NPW-2 primary weapon from Twilight is in BWO in a modified format.

Elitism was never on our minds at any point.  We just wanted to do our thing...not sure why we keep being put on the hotseat for that.  You'll have to remember that when we started this project...Derelict and Warzone were amongst a very small number of community campaign projects.  Actually Warzone was mostly just me with some help from Dark and then some testing and Derelict was mostly Agatheron and Kellan plus me and a few others for testing. We all got together and decided to make a new campaign combining our efforts.  If I remember correctly thats before many of the other excellent campaign projects even got started.  That was even in the early days of The Babylon Project its so long ago.

We just do our thing...people can take it or leave it.  Anything else just strikes me as very strange.
- IceFire

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
As ShadowGorrath said it's up to players. As I said in my previous post sites like Wikipedia might get people confused and spread false information - I don't know how to react properly, though.

People aren't necessarily supposed to adapt different mods and campaigns to their expectations. I switch from one kind of continuity to another without any problems or dire need to mix them. No offense, though...yours is a valid choice. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon