Author Topic: New Vasudan HUD  (Read 16814 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Technical Artist with time to spare.
That looks sexy.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Desertfox287

• Sweat saves blood-Erwin Rommel
That is really an interesting HUD, I wish I could make something with a more classic view for my mod

That is one amazing hud you got there. The shapes and patterning of all the hud's sections honestly make me think of the Homeworld Series, what a Higarran ship might've used for a hud. That would work well for TAP (The Apocalypse Project).

Ah, that reminds me I need to update the fighter hud for my Cerberus campaign.
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Per-ship HUDs would be an awesome feature for this guy to work with.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'd prefer per-species to be honest... we have GTA and GTVA, so it would be nice to have PVN, GVTA, and Shivan HUDs.

Perhaps per-ship center reticles for aiming primaries, but that's not really doable with the HUD system right now.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Thanks guys, I'm glad you all seem happy with where it's going :)

Per-Species would make more sense to me too - and it would be a metric ton less work!

This is supposed to be a PVN hud?

As you can see from the attached images, it's pretty much time to try and get it converted and loaded in the engine and see how it feels...

If anyone wants to help with that bit, that would be good :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

Also a couple of questions for everyone:
  • The 2 displays I've marked, should I swap them around?
  • The 2 empty spots I've marked are dead space that I could add some styling to, maybe a Vasudan symbol or something, or should I leave it functional?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I recommend moving the left side indicator (speed/AB) to match the height of the right side indicator. People have a tendency to read symmetrically placed stuff better than asymmetric stuff.

The designs themselves look pretty nice.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'd prefer per-species to be honest... we have GTA and GTVA, so it would be nice to have PVN, GVTA, and Shivan HUDs.
:wtf:
GTVA = Galactic Terran Vasudan Alliance
GVTA = Galactic Vasudan Toilet Alliance?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Since I am having trouble expressing my admiration of your work, I'll go with the thumbs up smiley. :yes:

But for srs this is rly awsum.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I recommend moving the left side indicator (speed/AB) to match the height of the right side indicator. People have a tendency to read symmetrically placed stuff better than asymmetric stuff.

The designs themselves look pretty nice.

it's true, my eyes are itching after looking at those in sequence repeatedly... but that gives it a special flavour right?, maybe making them ALMOST symmetrical, but not all the way, so you don't have to drag your eyes that much to switch between the two.
el hombre vicio...

Yeah after trying it, I think I prefer this too...

Update: So I've unpacked all the ani files in the hud folder and for some reason they are all slightly smaller or bigger than they are in the screenshot I was working from... Some of them are also cut up differently than I expected, so I'll have to redo a couple of things, most noticeably the energy balance displays.

A few technical questions if anyone can help?

• Whats the blue colour for? Some elements use it but most dont...
  • What are the other icons I've indicated for? Can someone give me a screenshot of them being displayed or explain why I dont see them?
  • The little infinity symbol that is displayed under the radar wasnt in the HUD folder... Where did they put it?

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:16:51 pm by WormSlayer »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Given how the rest of the Interface works, I'd say that blue is used as the mask colour here, meaning that the engine will replace it with a darkened, semi-transparent version of the main HUD colour.

As for the bits where you didn't know what they were, I am somewhat stumped as well. I remember seeing them, but I don't know where. I also know that they are not mentioned in the original Manual for FS2.

Oh, and the infinity symbol is probably something in the original font FS2 uses.

EDIT: Ah, now I know what they are. If your mod uses the FS1-style HUD, those will replace the threat indicator display. The triangles show you which secondary bank you have selected, the circles do the same for primaries.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:50:12 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The Blue is used any time the engine needs to generate some information over the HUD, like on the rada screen or in the directives lists. The infinity symbol is generated by the game, and changes depending on haw far you set the range of your radar to be.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you know the graphics seem a little hard edged for vasudan design, I don't think they would have all those straight lines and hard angles.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Eh, I like it.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Oh, you mean those boxes for comms etc. aren't just placeholders?

I really like what you did with the radar circle. Maybe you could use that style for the other information boxes? It would give the whole work more cohesion.

If this is a PVN HUD, try to keep to the shape of the FS1 Terran HUD--put a third arc at the top, with the warning indicators up there, and the primary/secondary weapons indicators on the right arc. You'll find all the appropriate interface art in the FreeSpace Port.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
you know the graphics seem a little hard edged for vasudan design, I don't think they would have all those straight lines and hard angles.
Well it's a PVN HUD. The PVN aesthetic is very different from the GTVA-Vasudan aesthetic that most people are accustomed too. It seems more crude and less organic than the ships introduced in FS2.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Aren't those bits the marks that tell you if you have linked your primaries and secondaries?

Never mind The E's already said it ^^
el hombre vicio...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So any solutions on how to get these issues sorted out?