Author Topic: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?  (Read 64547 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?
Because another Shivan invasion was imminent. We can't believe that the Shivans come back after 30 or so years. And 10x? All civilians? No. Just hit the rich population, the ones who waste their money. Poor civilians shouldn't be affected.

I still wouldn't be happy. If there was a (rebellious) movement, I'd join (so I don't have to) pay extra tax.

God, didn't you read the PI synopsis? This is exactly what caused the PCA! The GTVA wanted to make their fleet bigger, so they made the Strategic Defense Endeavor which taxed everyone and then people got unhappy and started the PCA!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 04:45:13 am by Snail »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I take in consideration only canon events. You mentioned the PCA, I can mention Steadfast's AP and SthCrs' SLA. But I base my arguments on the main FreeSpace campaign.

The GTVA needs a better fleet, the GTVA has to spend a lot of money on weapons. A rebellion contained in a short amount of time is always better than a complete annihilation caused by the Shivans.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I mentioned the PCA as an example.

Taxing people is not the way after a huge long war. Making people unhappy isn't getting you anywhere.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Because another Shivan invasion was imminent. We can't believe that the Shivans come back after 30 or so years. And 10x? All civilians? No. Just hit the rich population, the ones who waste their money. Poor civilians shouldn't be affected.

I still wouldn't be happy. If there was a (rebellious) movement, I'd join (so I don't have to) pay extra tax.

God, didn't you read the PI synopsis? This is exactly what caused the PCA! The GTVA wanted to make their fleet bigger, so they made the Strategic Defense Endeavor which taxed everyone and then people got unhappy and started the PCA!

f*** the people if they think like that. Remove ALL fleet assets from the rebelius systems, let them fend off the pirates and shivans themselves, the b******!
The shivans could find anyother way into GTVA space at any time. Tomorrow, ina month, year, a decade or even a century. Who knows?
But if you go easy thinking the shivans will give you 30-50 years of time, you DESERVE to be wiped out from the galaxy for your stupidity.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You earn 5,000. The government takes away 4,750. You and your family starve.

"WE ARE GOING TO HELP ALL THE CITIZENS OF THE GTVA, BEHOLD AS WE UNVEIL THE GTVSJ COLOSSUS MARK II!!!!!! OMG!!!"

What do you do?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Sacrifices must be made...I would be willing to forgo all luxury and would be happy with the basics (any kind of food, roof over my head, water) if it means SURVIVAL FOR MY WHOLE RACE.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
People don't think that way. If the British government began supertaxing so that they would win the war against the Humbuggs who had nuclear bombs, the British people would demonstrate, riot, etc. etc. For the GTVA, it's on a much larger scale. Taxing people for making a MEGA-UBER-SUPER juggernaut, of which the first of its class had become a complete catastrophe, is not a good idea.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I mentioned the PCA as an example.

Starvation caused by taxes and "oppression", and other classic rules... No offense, but I don't want to take it in consideration.

You earn 5,000. The government takes away 4,750. You and your family starve.

I earn 5,000 and the governments takes away 500-1,500. I continue to love and protect my family.

A guy earns 450,000 and the government takes away 200,000-300,000. It can be done without starving a family.

Sacrifices must be made...I would be willing to forgo all luxury and would be happy with the basics (any kind of food, roof over my head, water) if it means SURVIVAL FOR MY WHOLE RACE.

:yes:

People don't think that way. If the British government began supertaxing so that they would win the war against the Humbuggs who had nuclear bombs, the British people would demonstrate, riot, etc. etc.

Humbuggs = Argentinians ? = Germans ? = Italians ?  :wtf:

Anyways, we're talking about another Species, capable of destroying stars. You can't compare the Shivans to those...uhm..."Humbuggs".
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
'kay fine, why don't we just stop paying the workers? Then we're all happy that way.

(*cough*Altair Phoenixes*cough*)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
'kay fine, why don't we just stop paying the workers? Then we're all happy that way.

(*cough*Altair Phoenixes*cough*)

Ops. That's an exception.  :blah:

Rich people can be hit, they don't need all the money they have.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Yes, rich people have to much money, and should give, "some of tat dough" to less fortunate.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 07:16:41 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
People don't think that way. If the British government began supertaxing so that they would win the war against the Humbuggs who had nuclear bombs, the British people would demonstrate, riot, etc. etc. For the GTVA, it's on a much larger scale. Taxing people for making a MEGA-UBER-SUPER juggernaut, of which the first of its class had become a complete catastrophe, is not a good idea.

Except a coulpe of terrorists can in no way be compared to a thousads of years old, xenocidal race that's been wiping out civilizations. :doubt:

And nobody is going to tax ppl till starvation...you make sure people have WHAT THEY NEED.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I would just reinstate slavery. So many problems salved, just like that.

Offline Hades

Yea I don't think they will think of that.
But they could do that to HOL and pirate inmates.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
There aren't too many HoL left... ANY inmates can do it too.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nah...robotic worker machines...lots of htem..tehy don't eat, don't sleep, jsut work, work, work.....the GTVA will pump out some collies in no time...of course the ai robots will rebell as they allways do and seek to *exterminate all humans*... but if you got a dozen collies, who the cares? We'll just vaporize them.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Nah...robotic worker machines...lots of htem..tehy don't eat, don't sleep, jsut work, work, work.....the GTVA will pump out some collies in no time...of course the ai robots will rebell as they allways do and seek to *exterminate all humans*... but if you got a dozen collies, who the cares? We'll just vaporize them.

Robots.... Hmm... Yeah. Robots could work.

But the Colossus was a disaster. I doubt anyone would like to see more of them.

Offline Hades

But what if the Robots want to kill the GTVA like robots always do?
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It won't happen.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If hte rebell, jsut inplant a virus that makes htem thinks shivans are their masters, so they go after them...
OR
the GTVA will create the Terran version of shivans...the robots will want to *EXTERMINATE SHIVANS*