Author Topic: RELEASE - Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius  (Read 419176 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Re: RELEASE - Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius
As I hate vertical multi part turret barrels, I whipped up a quick turret angle fixer here for this campaign.  I'll post detailed comments later. :)

I notice the original titan files aren't in the Stratcomm fleetpack.  If you have his original tbm, I can quickly add it also.

I looked at adding nameplates to these ships, but curiously, even though PCS2 clearly indicates the presence of a nameplate texture, it does not appear in the texture replacement drop down box in FRED.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Hmm. Time to re-play the campaign and pay attention to all the messages, de-briefings and such, because obviously I've missed something vital. :lol: :rolleyes:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Terashell

• 314th Thunderheads
Spoiler:
Pulling a Starbuck is my new "catchphrase" for whenever I have an NPC that someone killed or, rather, thought they killed comes back later in the game.

"Hey! We killed that guy 2 sessions ago!"
"He pulled a Starbuck."
"... FRAK YOU!"

more bsg talk above.  BP talk below

Spoiler:
It's entirely possible that the Eriana in the Sanctuary universe is genetically identical to the Eriana in Sam's universe, since it's possible her parents were on the Sanctuary and did the same thing they did.  Very VERY long odds naturally, but with a race like the Vishnans around, anything is possible.

But, yeah, definitely a  :wtf: campaign that needs a sequel.  Darius... if you need voice actors, I'd be honored.  just... send me the program I need and the lines and I'll audition. :rolleyes:

Darius. Ohmygod. This thing's up there with Transcend and Derelict for me. Aside from some oddities (like some ships looking AMAZING [the GTVA fleet!] and others not quite as good [Aurora, kinda]), I friggin' loved it. I got totally dragged in to the campaign, man! And there were several times where my mouth just ...dropped. Every single time you used a cutscene, for example (especially that first one. It melted my brain with awesome). Also:

Spoiler:
The first time you see Earth. Wasn't freakin' expecting that. Same with the Lucy. And the final fight against the Lucy---that sequence paralleled some of BSG's fights (Exodus, anyone?) in pure awesome-factor---I've always been a sucker for the fleet-regathering-at-the-last-minute thing, especially if it's done well. But the biggest thing of all was the ending---that whole sequence (took like, five or ten minutes if I remember) I was in shock. Angry, angry shock that turned into me wanting to defend the Raijin immediately---which never happens for me. That kicked so much ass, man. And on top of that, I should entirely have expected the ending, so all the better.

In summary, LOVED IT!

Spoiler:
Though the end-end was a bit creepy. Does the idea of Sam going out with the parallel universe version of his dead wife disturb anyone else? It's a nice ending, yeah, but ...damned creepy. <_<;;

Ahem, anyway. I'd offer my voice but I seriously doubt I could be of use...being 17 and all. Oh, and do you already have a UE fleet, or was the Raijin the only UE ship you've got at the moment? If you've more of them (I loved the design of the Raijin), ...could we have them?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
And who the hell was that screaming? Goddamn, that's about as creepy as the Transcendant messages.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goblix

I still need help please! (yeah i'm impatient :()

Spoiler:
In "With Vast Seas" i'm not getting any background with a destroyed earth on it, am  missing a file or what?

i play this campain and than hes creases i want to play mission 7 and i see well incoming transmission and than i want to launch and than hes creases can someone help me to fix that problem
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 06:28:24 am by woutersmits »

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Goblix - do you have JPG/TGA textures turned on in the launcher ?

Offline Darius

Hmm. Time to re-play the campaign and pay attention to all the messages, de-briefings and such, because obviously I've missed something vital. :lol: :rolleyes:

:lol: have you read the prologue? It might answer some of your questions...or add more, either way :P

Thanks for the turret fix Admiral Nelson, the vertical barrels were driving me crazy too.

Goblix, the file is a .dds, along with the planet in the "Departure" intro. Did you see a planet in the background as the camera panned over to the fleet?

@DrewToby: The Renjian is a frigate model by SteveO, which he kindly gave me permission to use. I'm not planning to organise voice acting for the campaign anytime soon, but others are free to put something together if they want :)

Error: Can't open model file <none>
File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Model\ModelRead.cpp
Line: 1902
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
now i got this problem can someone fix that problem

Offline Darius

Does it crash on red alert missions woutersmits? I'm not sure what you mean by your error.

Nothing is introduced in mission 7 except for the HTL Uglies, are you having a problem with them?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Darius , it's the same problem I have . It happens when you turn on the 3D ship selection . I think it's only because I don't have the mediavps . To evade that problem , I just turned off the 3d ship selection , and didn't change the ship and weapon config ( cause I didn't need to actually ) .

yes

Darius. Ohmygod. This thing's up there with Transcend and Derelict for me. Aside from some oddities (like some ships looking AMAZING [the GTVA fleet!] and others not quite as good [Aurora, kinda]), I friggin' loved it. I got totally dragged in to the campaign, man! And there were several times where my mouth just ...dropped. Every single time you used a cutscene, for example (especially that first one. It melted my brain with awesome). Also:

Spoiler:
The first time you see Earth. Wasn't freakin' expecting that. Same with the Lucy. And the final fight against the Lucy---that sequence paralleled some of BSG's fights (Exodus, anyone?) in pure awesome-factor---I've always been a sucker for the fleet-regathering-at-the-last-minute thing, especially if it's done well. But the biggest thing of all was the ending---that whole sequence (took like, five or ten minutes if I remember) I was in shock. Angry, angry shock that turned into me wanting to defend the Raijin immediately---which never happens for me. That kicked so much ass, man. And on top of that, I should entirely have expected the ending, so all the better.

In summary, LOVED IT!

Spoiler:
Though the end-end was a bit creepy. Does the idea of Sam going out with the parallel universe version of his dead wife disturb anyone else? It's a nice ending, yeah, but ...damned creepy. <_<;;

Ahem, anyway. I'd offer my voice but I seriously doubt I could be of use...being 17 and all. Oh, and do you already have a UE fleet, or was the Raijin the only UE ship you've got at the moment? If you've more of them (I loved the design of the Raijin), ...could we have them?

Spoiler:

Yes I was expecting an "Exodus" style reunion as well, especially since the GTD Orestes and the GTD Temeraire vaguely resemble the Galactica and Pegasus, respectively. Also that mission where you encounter the two "gods" I was almost expecting "The Music"(All Along the Watchtower) to play.  :lol:

Also, didn't that United Earth ship looked like an Earth Alliance Omega Destroyer from Babylon 5? :lol:

Offline Goblix

ShadowGorrath: I do have that enabled, always have.

Darius: No, I dont see a planet in the cutscene.

i refuse to continue the campaign without the planet :D

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So far, so good. The new music...well, people weren't kidding about it, and as always seems to be the case for me, the ones with good music are the ones I really like when it comes to space games. (See also: Homeworld, EVE Online. :P)  You know impressively well how to match the music to the mood of the scenes, too.

Spoiler:
I was strongly reminded of my first thoughts regarding the Taidanii Battletrack when you used machineamb for the Temeraire and her battlegroup vaping the Demon. You don't think it would work, but it does, and very well. Haven't gotten far enough to hear any of the others in their natural environment, so to speak, but having downloaded the soundtrack I have very high hopes.

The plot is unique, and while I might quibble on some points (too little was made of some things, IMO), it is overall very well-done. Having spent a looong time moderating for an online fiction site on my Tuesdays (finally quit, probably too late for my sanity sadly) that's not a compliment I give lightly. Mission design is good, with no glaring errors I was able to detect, if sparse on the directives (not necessarily a bad thing really, just different).

It's not Derelict, and it's not Transcend; this campaign is somewhere in between in terms of the mood and the feel. It combines, in a lot of ways, the best elements of both. You're not all on your own out there; it owes much to Derelict's more conventional campaign, with support from other GTVA warships and fighters available, and all the little nuances that reinforce the fact there are people you don't see working behind the scenes on your side. But it also has Transcend's horror-esque elements, confusion, the feeling of being toyed with by something beyond your control and perhaps beyond your understanding, events that make you sit there and stare blankly at the screen for a few moments in shock or mutter "Oh ****, now what?"

In short, this is not, perhaps, perfection. But it is, so far, most of the things I've wanted from a campaign since I finished FS1. I hesitate to call it one of the greats quite yet, because I'm not done with it. But on the other hand, I don't have much doubt I will when I'm done with it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
wewantvoiceactingwewantvoiceactingwewantvoiceacting

finished the campaign 5 minutes ago, freaking awesome man  :yes:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Darius

Cheers ngtm1r. Let me know what you thought of the rest of the campaign.

Don't refuse to play the campaign because of planets not showing up Goblix :P As far as I recall, the only non-Lightspeed nebulae backgrounds I used were planets, so you're not missing much by not having them.

I suppose you could check to see if there's a stars.tbl that's interfering with the one in the VP. That's all I can think of at the top of my head.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Who sez iz's hte same woman? It's practicly impossible for it to be the same woman, given the huge differences in the universes. 50 years of VASTLY different history makes it highly unlikely that her parents/grandparents ever came together in the first place, let alone in the same way or at the same time. Biologicly it's impossible (astronomicly impossible). And let's not forget that even if she somehow was biologicly the same, she would be rased in a completely different enviroment, thus wouldn't end up being the same person.. [/sploiler]

Now for my comments. Overall a great campaign, with a realyl polished feel to it. Great work.
I do have some sore point and things that irritate me, and I0'll list the min the "order of annyonace". Please not that these are my personal preferences and that the campaign is great despite them.

[sploiler]
1. Chosen one.. Whenever I run into a scenario liek that I want to puke. "you're te ONLY one who can save the universe" is not only old but I can't stand it anymore on a biological level. honestly I REALLY feel revulsion. "you've been born for this, you have destiny".. urgh..

2. Your'e the only one (except your father....  :ick:) with who those vishnian talk to? The whole crew of the Duke braindead from the contact and you merily along the way.

3. Too much metaphysical..."stuff" for my liking, like that whole musing on the soul and brahmans and whatever. The vishnian being pure psyche is another thing that makes me puke...like energy beings and stuff

4. The lat mission. If hte shivans are so intent to kill humans, why didn't the Diablo jsut turned and vaporized all ships insted of just standing there and poking eachother with needels? Seems that that vishnian ship was unable to do any real damage to it, and vice-versa.

5. Great council? Perservers? makes no sense given the shivan behaviour, but it's your campaign.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!